Dictionary

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tourada, Feb 28, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Dictionary now comes with American English and British English Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus. You can change the setting in the preferences pane. That's interesting....

2. macrumors 65816

Finally. Been waiting for a British dictionary for a year already. Not that the American one doesn't work-it automatically provides both versions of the spelling of a word.

3. macrumors 6502

OED and Thesaurus to come with the OS? That actually looks like a useful real world improvement. Does it say whether its the concise/ shorter/ dictionary of version?

4. macrumors 601

vincenz

5. thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't. All it says are the sources being: "New Oxford American Dictionary", "Oxford American's Writers Thesaurus" , "Oxford Dictionary of English", and "Oxford Thesaurus of English".
    And for our Japanese friends, looks like there are more dictionaries as well. (Japanese, Japanese synonyms, and Japanese-English)

6. macrumors 6502

7. thread starter macrumors regular

8. macrumors 6502

Having more substantial reference tools is actually something I could get excited about- and particularly from such a reputable source like the OUP.

Although unlikely, I'd be very happy to be able to reference the full OED on a per-hit or shorter subscription term than currently offered. (£205+vat/year or £53+vat/quarter is far too steep for my liking).

Still, those bundles sound like excellent value-added!

9. macrumors member

CarsonGallo

Open In Dictionary

Is it me or is the highlight work and Open In Dictionary unresponsive in Lion. Because every time i do it, nothing happens.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't think it is just you. I already filed a bug report about dictionary not opening when you select "look up in dictionary"