Did anyone catch the leaked Wii release date?

Discussion in 'Games' started by myshoeshurt, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Oblivious macrumors 6502

It sounds very plausible, but I'd still prefer an October release for obvious reasons.:p

And for $229 I'd like to see a second controller with nunchuck and and a retro controller included.:)

Am I asking too much?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes because i was expecting the console to release at 250

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'd rather pay $229 for a next gen console than $400 or $600. Just about 3 Wiis for the cost of one PS3!

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

229 is a good price point. I will pay whatever it is though. I can't wait for this one. I hope it launches in october as rumored.

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm pretty freakin' sick of Nintendo's "let's not release all the colors at once and piss a ton of people off" strategy. It's a brilliant business plan... but I want my frickin' lime green Wii on launch day, darn it! I suppose I'll just have to make due with my DS Lite and Wii matching...

Daniel.

6. myshoeshurt thread starter macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

... matching your MAC.

:cool:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

(ooo, the neighbour has trimmed his hedges...)

I can't really comment on the date. we don't know. I won't trust a single rumour about it. but the price, I reckon that is going to be very low. OR a not-too-cheap price but bundled with many accessories.

-2 controllers will certainly be in the box. Nintendo wants us to play together after all.
    -Retro controller is apparently very cheap (no wireless, no independent power source). Ditto for the Gun controller I suppose.
    -A PS1 style Demo Disc. (why did they drop that? bundling a demo CD was a great idea)
    -Mic headset, a la 360. We all know the Wii has a Mic in the controller. Nintendo's fooling no-one. It's like Apple now releasing a non-Pro Mac without a built in iSight. people start using it to make a low-level music streamer around the house. plugged into hi-fi's it could play music from the Wii.
    -512mb internal, and here have an extra 256mb just to tide you over until that grand 4gb SD card. or till you partition off 10gb of an external USB drive for the Wii and never have to worry about space again.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Let's hope Ninty include some sort of "Wii Docks", that let you charge up the controller.

9. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

That'd be great. I also think Jimmi's idea of adding 256 mb would be pretty cool. I need to pick up a 4gb card though. Anyone know how big (in file size) N64 games were?

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not gonna happen. It'll be the controller and the console.

11. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Anything from 4 - 64MBs.

Quick guide:
    Super Mario 64 - 8MB
    Smash Bros. - 16MB
    Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 32MB

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not sure about that, just they can't sell it too cheap without giving it a poor image. The collective mass declare it as "a cheap kids toy", though it still sells. a la DS. They won't charge more than £150 for it as it really is just a powered up Cube (though with this secretive ATi mystery - Nintendo spending 5 years developing the video card for the Wii and investing a lot of money into it). The cube is very cheap to manufacture. Nintendo were still making a profit when it hit the £69 price tag.

They need an excuse to not charge £99 for it, which it would likely go for without accessories. after all, the NES came with Mario/Duck Hunt and a Zapper. or at least mine did. all in the same box. so Nintendo aren't unknown to bundle useful accessories with machines.

OR: The Wii has more power than we think. The ATi mystery? higher capacity internal memory? built in GB Player *I thoroughly believe this as Nintendo have not mentioned downloadable GB/GBC games*?

13. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Yeah it'll be just the controller and the console, just look at the Gamecube and the N64 releases. Possibly some sort of demo disk, hell the Nintendo DS came with at least a demo of Metroid Prime Hunters.

If there is anything else in the box I will be pleasantly surprised.

14. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

I would like to see two controllers, as it is for "weeee" to play with. Its not called the "ii" (pronounced EYE).

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, Nintendo said they were deciding on the price because they hadn't decided what will come packaged with it yet. It's very possible.

16. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder if they'll include 1 or 2 contollers in the kit. Those controllers might be the most expensive mainstream console controllers ever assembled. Look at all the hardware inside. (Gyros, transmitters, speaker, leds, memory, rumblers, etc…) I wonder how much they'll cost separately. Then again, by assembling 11 million+* wiimotes by the end of the year, they might be getting decent bulk prices on those components.

* figure obtained by assuming that they'll assemble 2 Wiimotes for each Wii console assembeld. Not far-fetched. Probably more. Just speculations here.

Edit: Just thought of something. I think that even if they bundle 2 wiimotes, they'll probaly only bundle one "nunchuck" attachement since most (all?) "same-room" multiplayer games probably won't make use of it.

Here is what I think we'll see included in the box. (I can't decide if they'll include on or two wiimote)

* Wii
    * Wii Stand
    * Wiimote
    * Nunchuck Attachement (1x)
    * Sensor bar
    * AV Cables
    * Wii Sports
    * Classic Controler (Or bundled with SSBB if not in the Wii box)

* Gift certificate for 1 specific free virtual console game download (Super Mario Bros?)
    * 2 AA batteries
    * Documentation
    * Sweet New stuff smelling air

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think $249 would work if it included two Wii-motes (+ nunchuks), a classic controller and Wii Sports. But $229 sounds good, although I think that a two Wii-motes would be a great addition.

And I found an article on Ars Technica saying that the leaked Wii specs were apparently fake, so it may be more powerful after all.

Sounds about right, I'll chip in too. This is what I think is reasonable.

White/ Black Wii - $229/£149
    2 Wii-Motes + 2 Nunchuks
    1 Wii Dock - Charges Wii-Mote via USB port (or through A/C wall adapter if its too slow).
    Classic Controller + Some "points" to start you off in Virtual Console
    Sensor Bar
    S-Video or Composite Cables (with Component as an extra and SCART as an extra for EU countries)
    Wii Sports

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

Let's just hope that the Component cables are in good supply. It took me long enough to find them for the gamecube as it is, and I only got them back in march/april. I'd really hate to have to go on the hunt again, and after playing GC games in 480p, I won't be satisfied to play Twilight princess in anything but 480p (Yeah, I'd rather have 1080i, but that's already been done to death.)

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I doubt they would only include 1 nunchuck with two wii-motes; the wiimote is the expensive part, I doubt the nunchuck costs more than a couple dollars to make, and they wouldn't want to put people in the position of having to buy separate attatchments to play certain games. At least I hope not anyways.

Ideally, i'd like to see the wiimote and nunchuck being a package deal; you can't buy one without the other, as if they were permanently attached. The nunchuck is the only attachment that will be necesary for many games making the wiimote useless without one whereas the classic controller is a whole different controller, and the gun thing doesn't do anything that can't be done with the nunchuck. Other than that, I'm betting your predictions are right.

wii
    stand
    sensor bar
    2 wiimotes
    2 nunchuck attatchments
    1 classic controller
    cables
    wii sports or some other game or demo to get people using the wiimote
    free virtual console download

I would gladly pay $250 for all that; and didn't reggie say it wouldn't be any more than that?

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think I may have read this a while ago, but will it be possible to use two TVs and do a system to system link with two Wiis? Finally, a way to keep from cousin from watching my part of the screen all the time. :rolleyes:
    Heck, I even call him "Screenwatcher" when we play Halo 2

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They haven't mentioned it, but it should be. I mean, both Wii's have WiFi. Network games should be easy to accomplish.

23. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Where are you all getting the idea that it will ship with a classic controller? I don't see that at all. 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchucks, maybe, but I doubt the classic controller.

24. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

1.) The classic controller isn't just for virtual console games; it's also the "normal" style controller for wii titles. Not every game will take advantage of the wiimote's motion sensing capabilities. One such example is Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which from what i've heard, will be controlled by the classic controller.

2.) it's just a standard controller: no rumble (i think?), no motion sensing, and it uses the wireless from the wiimote it is connected to instead of having it's own. In other words, it's cheap; it will cost way less to produce them than a wiimote; nintendo won't exactly be selling at a loss by adding one in.

3.) it appears that the virtual console is to be a major selling point of the wii. it would be bad marketing if they said "buy the wii because of the virtual console" while making you buy the virtual console controller separately from the system.