Did anyone else cry during the Lion King?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I'm watching the Lion King at work, and i remember the first time that i saw it, I cried when Mufasa died. Mind you I was 10 years old. Anyone else cry?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Nope. Lion King didn't do anything for me.

I cried watching "Beauty and The Beast" though. [​IMG] I'd rate this movie to be one of my Top 10 films ever.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i did, it was a good movie, Disney's last really good animated movie in my opinion. i love aladin too, but thats more along the lines of a feel good movie than heartbreaking as that one scene in lion king is

4. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

also, does anyone notice the resemblance the lion king has with Hamlet?! Didn't notice until I just watched it today.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No, not Lion King, or any other Disney movies, for that matter, not even Bambi... ;)

That said, I'm a sucker for sad/emotional films and have had to wipe more than one tear over the years...

6. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    HaHaHaHaHaHaHa - You cried watching Lion King!

Well, if it's any indication, I cried just watching the trailor for Lion King in the Disney Store. :(

Not really a fan of the Disney movies (I prefer Pixar :D ), but I did see a few: Beauty and the Beast, Alladdin, and Lion King. By far, Lion King was my fave, and yes, I sobbed like a 4-year-old.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, considering Lion King is a complete rip-off of Kimba The White Lion, I went into the movie hating it, and only cried that to the fact that I spent time watching it.

Unfortunately, my girl friend cries because of Mufasa's death reminds her about her father that passed away a few years ago. :(

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No way.

Last time I got a little sniffly in a movie was at the end of 'Return of the King'...

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

On a lighter note, did anyone play the Lion King game for SNES/Genesis? I remember it being pretty fun, but then again I was a little kid...

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Nope. The only time I get anywhere close to emotional is watching old Disney classics that I grew up watching (and those films were already 40 years old when I was watching them as a kid). I guess it's a mixture of happiness from reliving those memories and sadness because that era is gone.

But none of Disney's recent films have come even close for me.

11. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BRING THE LION KING UP AGAIN? It brings back those tears of sorrow over Mufasa's unfortunate death. Please never bring up that horrible event again. On a lighter note, why were you watching the lion king at work?

12. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I work at an Apple Reseller, and what better way to show off Apple's 30" display, than to put a movie on it. And today's movie just happens to be The Lion King

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My wife looked at me like I had three heads when I wiped a tear away at the end of ROTK. That scene with Samwise and his kids....

OT, I don't remember ever getting teary-eyed over an animated flick. Give me a sappy dog story like Far From Home: Adventures of Yellow Dog, though....give me a tissue, please.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I didn't cry during LK, but it was because I was busy making sure my 2-year-old didn't spill the popcorn all over the theater. My wife got the raw end of the deal, she was holding a fussy 11-month-old at the back of the theater and only saw about 30 percent of the movie. I have to admit, even so, the scene when Mufasa dies is quite emotional.

15. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Yeah. That's because it was. Though not completely like Hamlet, the writers used Hamlet as a starting point for their story.

As a rule of thumb, updated Shakespeare sucks. I haven't seen one yet that I enjoy. And I don't mean the DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet. I thought that was a great film. I mean movies like O and10 Things I Hate About You.

Getting Shakespeare out on a mass level. Great. Screwing it up horribly. Very bad.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think I've cried at any movie I've been to see....

I might have cried out in anguish having to sit through some movies, but nothing that's brought tears to my eyes.

D

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    No but I got aroused watching Nala and Simba...

Yes it was a rip off of Kimba. which rocked by the way (at least in a Speed Racer sort of way (Frame rate? Who needs frame rate)) the producers of Kimba sued but this is Chinatown...

Yes Beauty and the Beast was the greatest of the bunch. Perfect for geek guys with no self esteem who lust after hot chicks hoping secretly that underneath that cool exterior lies a book worm.

Also for grins compare and contrast Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down with Beauty and the Beast, keeping an eye out for similarities in theme.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wow, I'm surprised somebody had the guts to say that in the forum! :eek: I wasn't about to mention that... wait... n/m. :eek:

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im shocked as well considering the thought never entered into my mind, its a cartoon after all, it can evoke some emotions, but there are some that it just shouldnt

20. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All I remember is a bunch of hobbits staring moistly at each other. So gay!