Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Despite its supposedly reduced footprint, the rmbp still feels very heavy and cumbersome to me. I can certainly see the allure of an ultraportable and powerful workstation. That said, I am still very satisfied with my iMac + iPad combo for now, and see no room for a laptop in my line of work. :p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I bought a 2012 11" 2.0/8/256. The stores carry it.

Awesome fast. But I couldn't sell my 2010 11" 1.6/4/128 (ultimate for its time) machine without a huge drop in value, down 55% from original value. I've seen folks on eBay pay more for a base machine ($700) than the ultimate ($635). It boggles the mind.

I'm afraid the upgrades lose their value, especially SSD over time. In 2 yrs the 2012 ultimate ($1650) may not be worth much more than the base ($999) model. Ouch.

So I ended up returning the 2012 and sticking w my 2010 for the time being. And when I buy, I'm leaning towards getting whatever the base model is and flip it in a year.

if you flip every year or two the base is a really good idea. If I upgrade 3 years down the road i honestly would be ok with $500 b.c that is just money to put towards a new mac.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
So I ended up returning the 2012 and sticking w my 2010 for the time being. And when I buy, I'm leaning towards getting whatever the base model is and flip it in a year.

Curious - the flipping thing is something I do with many things but I have not done it with computers. I am new to macs. With windows machine the task of setting up a new computer was always a major hassle - something I avoided like the plague. Tell me, how hard is it to set up a new Air if you are running last years Air and you want the new Air to be exactly the same as the old air in every respect software wise? I'm thinking about preference settings and plug ins etc. If it is an easy task - I may start getting a new machine every year.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
apple now gives $105 off with educational discount on any of the higher end airs....you may wanna go get a refund if they only gave you $50 off

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
loving my fully loaded 11" First went with 13 and 256gb hdd but when I decided to exchange for the 11 I said F#!k it and went for the 512 as I have a large iTunes library and prefer to not have to go the external route at this point.

No regrets and am absolutely enamored with the 11" air, so glad i made the switch.

mikeray

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I got the maxed out 11" two weeks ago and couldn't be happier! Fullscreen mode with touch gestures is so fun.

Same specs as my original 2008 unibody macook (8gb ram, 500gb hdd) but the air is so much faster and the hd4000 graphics are a huge improvement!

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Curious - the flipping thing is something I do with many things but I have not done it with computers. I am new to macs. With windows machine the task of setting up a new computer was always a major hassle - something I avoided like the plague. Tell me, how hard is it to set up a new Air if you are running last years Air and you want the new Air to be exactly the same as the old air in every respect software wise? I'm thinking about preference settings and plug ins etc. If it is an easy task - I may start getting a new machine every year.

During the initialization of a new Mac, you will be given the opportunity to clone your new machine from either a TimeMachine backup, or your old machine. You will end up with an exact duplicate of your existing environment (probably running under a newer OS X version) with all your applications, settings, and data intact. Takes about an hour or less (unattended) with a reasonably complex installed system.

I usually find it quickest to use a external USB portable hard drive to do a fresh backup of my old computer, then use that to restore to the new computer during the out-of-the-box setup process.

Much easier than windows!

-howard

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Oh my - that sounds too good to be true!

When I think of all the time and money I spent setting up new computers - or fresh installs of the os in windows it makes me sick.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
When I think of all the time and money I spent setting up new computers - or fresh installs of the os in windows it makes me sick.

It's even better if you are migrating from a Thunderbolt or Firewire-equipped Mac to another Thunderbolt or Firewire-equipped Mac. Just connect the two computers together, and boot the old one into Target Disk Mode (reboot it and hold down the T key throughout the process). Your new Mac will see your old Mac as a hard drive. You can then run Migration Assistant from under the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. I migrated from my 2011 to my 2012 MacBook Air in about 20 minutes.

Migrating a Boot Camp partition is a little trickier. You can download a program called Winclone for $20. It will back up your partition onto a large file, which you can then restore onto a new Mac. However, sometimes when migrating to a different type of Mac things don't work correctly. For example, when I migrated my Boot Camp partition from my 2011 to my 2012 MacBook Air, the Boot Camp partition wouldn't recognize the keyboard and trackpad. I had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, manually uninstall the old Boot Camp drivers, install the new Boot Camp drivers, and search for hardware using control panel (and of course re-activate, having to use the phone option since I had already activated it on my 2011). It was still a lot easier than having to install everything again, however.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Upgraded from a maxed out late 2010 11" to a mid 2012 11" and I'm loving it! :D

hmmm, is the Air ur only computer? I'm seriously considering a 11" MBA to serve as a companion to my 17" MBP and am considering whether or not to break my rule of always buying the maxed out model. How is the USB 3.0 performance? I do happen to have two usb 3.0 hard drives that the new air could utilize. USB 2.0 is just way too slow for using with hard drives...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
hmmm, is the Air ur only computer? I'm seriously considering a 11" MBA to serve as a companion to my 17" MBP and am considering whether or not to break my rule of always buying the maxed out model. How is the USB 3.0 performance? I do happen to have two usb 3.0 hard drives that the new air could utilize. USB 2.0 is just way too slow for using with hard drives...

Yes it's my main and only computer. I don't do any photo/video editing or play games so it's good for what I use it for. I got a 64GB Patriot Supersonic Magnum and I'm loving how fast USB 3.0 is!

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
As an owner of a 2011 11" with a piddly 64GB Flash and 2GB RAM (not my main machine) I think a 11' with this top spec would be one hell of a machine. Throw in a 27" TB display and it could be (nearly) perfect. But for that price? Any takers?

Someone buying it with a TB display is clearly planning on mainly using it in one location. They could save $500 and get it with a 256 GB SSD and spend $100 on a 1TB portable USB drive.

People don't really need 512 GB on the go. I got by just fine with a MBA with 128 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.