Did anyone go from the 5 to 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jazzneel, Sep 26, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2010
    I have the 5, and am going to the 5S, and was wondering if there was a noticeable different in terms of phone speed (excluding data speed), battery life, and the camera? I know almost everything else remained the same (minus the FP scanner of course).
  2. macrumors member

May 23, 2011
    Tons faster, way better camera, battery life is amazing.
  3. macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2008
    Most of the MR iPhone forum, from what I have read. ;)

I did. It's faster, and I love the fingerprint sensor instead of typing out the long passcode my company insists I use.
  4. macrumors G3

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Faster? No, not really noticeable. We also don't have any apps utilizing the new hardware yet, so this is a wash.

The camera is nicer, mostly better at reducing the blur (IME). I take pics mostly of our dogs, and they move a lot. This camera does a better job with that. I don't do much in terms of using flash, so I haven;t noticed either way there.

Battery life is slightly better, maybe. I can't tell. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, or maybe slightly better. Nothing to write home about, honestly. If you were fine with the 5, you'll be fine with this. If you struggled with your battery on the 5, the S likely won't be much better.

best addition is the fingerprint sensor, from an early adopter point of view. Convenient. Saves time. Does what it was meant to do.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2008
    the guys in line next to me had 5(s) and were upgrading to the 5S. they travel a lot so they wanted a phone with more LTE band support.

That is one of the biggest benefits, at least in my opinion, for those who like to travel and wanna keep LTE speeds :p
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2013
    Doesn't seem faster, camera is OK... only two benefits I've found, more LTE bands and fingerprint scanner (both mentioned in above posts).
  7. macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2011
    I did and it is faster than my 5, I also really love the fingerprint sensor, it works fast and seamlessly.

The camera does much better in low light conditions.

Haven't had it long enough to give an opinion on the battery, I'm only slightly over 24 hours in with it.
  8. macrumors member

Mar 26, 2012
    Maryland, USA
    I did. Better camera (panorama and burst mode for me), slightly better battery life, and future proof (as far as the iOS environment goes). I also went for the 64GB this time (32GB on my 5). My girlfriend got the 5.

She was on a Droid 4 previously and she'd been through 3 of them (the charge ports keep failing). Now we can Facetime when I'm on travel, and she can Facetime with her family (we just moved across the country from CA to MD), and play all the games her sister kept telling her about. Plus the camera on the Droid 4 was garbage by comparison.
  9. macrumors 68020

Sep 6, 2002
    If just one person did, the answer to your question is "yes".
  10. macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2012
    Little bit snappier, slightly better camera, fingerprint gimmick.

Not worth hundreds for the tiny upgrades. Wait for the 6.
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2010
    Slightly faster, slightly better battery, slightly better camera, slightly faster to start due to fingerprint sensor. Afterall, its only slightly more expensive ($600 vs. $500) :D

BTW, for me, the Slo Mo is worth upgrading...its awesome :D
  12. macrumors member

Mar 26, 2012
    Maryland, USA
    Actually if you do the math it's pretty much a wash with upgrading every year having the (slight) advantage. Given you can sell a one year old phone for quite a bit more than a two year old phone, if you re-up your contract every other year and buy a phone outright in the years you're not eligible for an upgrade, you end up saving a couple bucks year over year compared to only buying a new phone every other year on contract (if you look at the outlay in aggregate).

In the years you buy off contract you have more outlay, but you make more money back selling your newer phone, so that's how it ends up a near wash slightly in favor of upgrading every year. The best is if you have a crappy old phone to use as a backup - then, you can sell your phone in the weeks before Apple's fall new model announcement. Once that hits the value starts to drop.
  13. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2011
    Performance wise, I haven't noticed much difference. Some apps seem to load quicker, but that just might be a placebo. The parallax effect seems smoother and more profound.

Untouched camera images do look sharper than the 5. The new features really help there.

Touch ID works VERY well. Very few misses and since I have my thumb registered, the phone is usually unlocked and ready between taking it out of my pocket and positioning my phone where I need it.

If you have the cash to burn, or an upgrade available, I would go for it.
  14. macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2010
  15. macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2010
    The real difference is the touch ID. I don't notice a huge performance boost, but do notice a slightly better battery than my 5. I can't judge the camera since I haven't taken many more pics yet. Slow Mo video is a personal preference as I don't take my videos. I will say this is a better upgrade (5 to 5s VS 4 to 4s). I bought it off contract for $850, but sold my 5 for $425, so it was basically an upgrade cost for me. However, my phone is eligible for an upgrade in May of next year so I will be ready for iPhone 6 and can sell the 5s and it be a wash.
  16. macrumors 68030

Jun 12, 2009
    San Clemente, CA USA
    Let's keep it real shall we.;)

I went from the 5 to the 5S and in real world use, it's a little faster, the camera is a bit better and the TouchID is cool as are the new colors (I got the gold). If you can upgrade and break even, it's a no-brainer. If you you will end up spending a significant amount of money to upgrade, then I would really think twice about it. It's basically a hopped up version of the 5. Nice, but not a mind-blowing upgrade.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2011
    New York City
    According to most of the bench tests, not much faster. Its notoriety pretty much. If the fingerprint scanner sells you + the little improved camera, then it's the phone for you if not save your bennies.
  18. macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2013
    South Carolina
    I upgraded from the 5 to the 5s and also upgraded my wife's 5 to a 5s. I honestly don't notice much in terms of faster performance. Then again, I don't think there were many apps that the 5 was struggling to run. In the future, this will probably not be the case. I do notice better photos coming from the 5s, battery life is good, and I am learning to use the fingerprint scanner.

Interestingly enough, I secretly swapped my wife's 5 with the 5s. Sort of a science experiment. She has not even noticed. She just thinks her 5 was updated to iOS 7. She has a case on it that covers the home button, so she does not see the new fingerprint scanner. I know, I know... I will tell her... eventually. At any rate, I think the casual user will not notice much difference in the performance of the 5 and 5s right now. It's us 'power users' that will notice the little things. That, or it is a placebo effect. :D
  19. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area, California
    LMAO. I like how you think... I am fairly certain my wife would be the same...
  20. macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2011
    I "upgraded" to the 5S from 5.

Speed is the same tbh since apps aren't really utilizing the A7 processor. Battery life feels slightly better but need more time with the 5S for a better gauge.

Main benefit is the fingerprint scanner, better camera, and new colors. Fingerprint scanner is defn a pleasant surprise and it "just works."
  21. macrumors 68000

fat jez

Jun 24, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    About what I'd have said too. Doesn't seem noticeably faster to me, but nobody has really compiled 64-bit apps yet.
  22. macrumors member

Sep 12, 2009
    I think the 5s will very soon become a considerably bigger upgrade, once apps that utilize the motion co-processor are available. I bet we will see some pretty innovative and useful apps in that space soon.

I'm very happy with mine, though. iOS 7 wasn't super smooth on my 5 but it's great on the 5s.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2008
  24. macrumors 65816

May 10, 2012
    I did! As posted it is faster and better camera using the iD Touch as well. I like it the color should have been called Gun Metal but people wouldn't like that. I have no regrets in trading in my 5.. although I do feel a little bad someone else fondling it now. Maybe its a hot girl that's what I like to think anyway...

Verizon gave me $300 for my iPhone 5 and it had a number of dents so it was a good deal.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    I am sitting this one out, I only upgrade iphones every other model or longer now. In fact, ever since getting rid of digital completely in my job as a photographer, I am happy to say that even computer upgrades come every 5-6 years instead of every 2-3 as before.

It's just a better way for me to own my life instead of devices owning it. I am only on here today because my wife's 5S is on the Fedex truck so I am doing last minute checks on things before I set it up for her...