Did anyone just watch "Hawking" on BBC2?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Apr 13, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I am no science buff, and only know of Stephen Hawking a little. But after having watched this brilliantly put together, 90min factual drama (made by the BBCs drama/science depts.), let me tell you, what an incredible man!
    The way and timing that the disease first made itself known, and then everything he went through from then on. To then go on to discover all that he has, and now to hold a position at Oxford once held by Isaac newton is absolutely phenomenal! All this and he was told he'd only likely live for a couple of years after he was diagnosed at 21.

Anyway, just had to say about it, it was very interesting/moving/amazing. Look out for it if it is repeated on BBC3 (UK), or maybe even BBC World (or whatever u guys get in the states). It's well worth the watch.

2. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    cheers fella, i'll look out for it.

we have a couple of options here, BBC America (which is usually full of shows like Ground Force and Changing Rooms :rolleyes: ) and also PBS (Public broadcast) which has some awesome documentaries on it, including BBC stuff)

3. richyfp macrumors member

Sorry to be stupid and pedantic, but he's at Gonville and Caius college in *Cambridge*, not Oxford. It wouldn't be an issue, but I'm currently studying at Cambridge and it's quite a sensitive point, what with the rivalry and all!

4. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

That is stupidly pedantic.... Why the rivalry?!

I didn't catch teh show - has anyone gotit on bittorrent yet?

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oooops! Sorry, there was so much to take in in this program :eek: :D, I stand corrected! :)
    It did say the position he holds now was once help by Isaac newton though.

6. iGav macrumors G3

because they each think they're the best... :p :p :p

7. Blackstealth macrumors regular

I only saw it from the point he gets on the train and comes up with the idea of time going backwards. Did I miss anything major before that point (I'm guessing so 'cause it finished soon afterwards)?

8. arf macrumors member

arf

and the funny thing is they're all wrong!

9. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yea, i did... and i actually started a post because when i went to his website, there was a lecture on life elsewhere in the universe.

Go to his website, it even tells you what kinda computer he has, it doesn't say which brand, but it does have a 1.5GHz Pentium-M that was donated by intel.

But his website is really cool, read his lectures... they'll blow your mind.

10. iGav macrumors G3

that's why they don't let anyone else participate in the Boat Race... heheheh