Did Anyone notice this comment by Apple on News.com?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by clydeturkey, Feb 2, 2007.

1. clydeturkey macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2007
    Apple to Windows iTunes users: Don't install Vista yet
    Microsoft's latest operating system may lead to compatibility issues, iPod corruption.
    By Caroline McCarthy

Published: February 2, 2007, 10:46 AM PST
    TalkBack E-mail Print del.icio.us Digg this
    Apple has warned Windows users running its iTunes software that they should wait for its next update before upgrading their PCs to Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company cited a variety of compatibility issues that may cause friction between the media player software, its accompanying iPod player, and Vista. Among these problems is an inability to play music or video purchased from the iTunes Store, problems synchronizing address book contact and calendar functions, and slowed runtime. Additionally, there is a chance that plugging an iPod into a computer running Vista may corrupt the device.

The problems may not affect all Windows users, according to Apple, but they are serious enough that the company does not recommend that PC owners install Vista just yet. Within the next few weeks, Apple plans to release a new version of its iTunes software that was designed primarily to address the Vista compatibility issues; when the release is available, the synchronization issues should disappear. For the time being, a special support page is available.

According to a company statement provided by Apple spokesman Derick Mains, "although iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs, Apple is aware of some known compatibility issues and recommends that iTunes customers wait to upgrade to Windows Vista until after the next release of iTunes, which will be available in the next few weeks." Apple declined further comment.

New iTunes in the next few weeks??????
  2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    No surprise. It was leaked when the :apple:TV was shown at MacWorld.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
  5. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    This is marketing. Apple is trying to do what they can to hold off sales for Vista. If Microsoft had a hold on something that could affect OS X they would do the same thing.
  6. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah. I bet if Microsoft could delay Office 2008 until months after Office 2007 was running on Vista, they would. ;)

(I'm mostly kidding; I think the wait for Office 08 is mostly due to the time it takes the Microsoft Mac team to port all of the code over. But conspiracy theories are just too much fun.)
  7. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    More likely that it's MS not considering the end user.
  8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    This is the most cynical (and absurd) thing I've heard in a while.

I'm confused. What does MS have to do with iTunes having compatibility issues with iTunes?
  9. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    Does this mean that apple want people to hold off Vista until 10.5? Is leopard coming in a few weeks? Or even tonight's superbowl...
  10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If that were the case, they wouldn't have assembled a fix for the problem.

I'm sure that iPod and iTunes users on Windows are suddenly going to jump ship because iTunes hasn't been updated to work correctly on Vista. Yes, that makes loads of sense. :p
  11. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2003
    Calgary, Canada
    Makes you wonder why Apple didn't make sure it works with Beta versions of Vista? Did MS do a "DOS isn't done until 1-2-3 won't run" with Vista and iTunes, or did Apple drop the QA ball, or is this an attempt at delaying uptake of Vista, by Apple?