Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
Hey you guys everyone is so excited about windows running on a mac, but, isn't anyone afraid that if we figure out a way to run windows on the mac with all its drivers there may be a risc that software house will stop making software for os x? If windows works on all the pc arround the y double develop?

Well i would be carefull with this stuff.

Oh, and its funny to see all of you mac people that always say bad thing about windows now going crazy about installing win on your mac. For an "inferior" os microsoft have created an OS that all the mac people want to install on their mac, wasn't OS the only sistem worth wile, so y.... y r u doing this to your macs out there.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
This has been addressed in other threads many many times already...

People are installing Windows because they need to run certain apps that run on Windows only. Most of them are just doing it for the games (at least once the graphic card drivers are worked out). Plus there's the initial excitement of doing it, just because you can... some people will install it, then remember how much they hate Windows and delete it.

Since Mac users are so excited about Windows, does that make it a better OS?
no, Windows still sucks

Does it mean that people will stop developing for OS X?
heck no, it just gives Mac users some more software options, letting them run the few things that aren't available under OS X

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
They wont stop developing software for OSX.

Windows sucks. Plain and simple. Plus its a pain to install on the Macs.

Plus then a ton of people have PowerPC machines still in use.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
As long as Wndows stays "unsupported" on Mac Intels, and if you want to use Windows at your own risk, and have to dig deep for drivers, nothing will change.
I dont't think Microsoft will release a Windows XP SP2 cd designed to run on Apple Hardware. Likewise, I don't think Apple will ever support another OS on the Macs besides Mac OS X.

Right now running Windows is like running Yellow Dog Linux on a Mac. Not much hardware is supported, and you must be some sort of geek to want to run any OS besides OS X on a Mac.

As long as this stays the case, which developer is going to leave Mac OS X as platform in favour of Windows???
Those ones who would like to run games on Mac Intels will probably be better off running the Universal Binary of an exisitng Mac game than trying to get hold of patched ATi drivers for unsupported DirectX games.

At the moment it is good fun, and for some a nice way of running those Windows-only apps on their Mac. But, we are still very far away from any kind of stable, supported Windows OS suitable for professional work.

damon5334

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
MacsRgr8 said:
Those ones who would like to run games on Mac Intels will probably be better off running the Universal Binary of an exisitng Mac game than trying to get hold of patched ATi drivers for unsupported DirectX games.

I actually used the Dell drivers for my Mac Mini and according to the DirectX tests for DirectDraw and Direct3D, they're working. The sound is the big issue with me, but you can't say that it's better to run the Universal Binary of an existing Mac game because there are a lot of Mac games that don't have universial binaries, and even more games in general that will never be on the Mac.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
atari1356 said:
... there's the initial excitement of doing it, just because you can... some people will install it, then remember how much they hate Windows and delete it.
Perfectly stated... I do the same thing every time there are major Linux releases (on my old intel machine). I install it cause I can (its free), see that nothing has really changed, then ditch the PC and go back to OS X. The cycle takes about 2 weeks...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
damon5334 said:
I actually used the Dell drivers for my Mac Mini and according to the DirectX tests for DirectDraw and Direct3D, they're working. The sound is the big issue with me, but you can't say that it's better to run the Universal Binary of an existing Mac game because there are a lot of Mac games that don't have universial binaries, and even more games in general that will never be on the Mac.

Sure, you'll get the driver working, but has anyone actually tried a DirectX game using these drivers? I would try a game like Quake 3.
This game is in UB and for Win XP (obviouisly). I would love to know how well both platforms perform.

damon5334

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
MacsRgr8 said:
Sure, you'll get the driver working, but has anyone actually tried a DirectX game using these drivers? I would try a game like Quake 3.
This game is in UB and for Win XP (obviouisly). I would love to know how well both platforms perform.

As I think I mentioned, the directX diag runs a Direct3D and DirectDraw test, and both complete. Also, you can tell the acceleration is working because the windows aren't near as choppy when moving them side to side.

As a further test, I ran Doom 3 on this. It's not what I would call playable (since it's only 512MB of RAM and an intergrated video card). I'm downloading HL2 from steam right now. I'll try to post something about how well it runs, or how poorly it runs. As far as the drivers working though, there's not a doubt in my mind that they are in fact working. The sound is the big issue for me. It doesn't work... at all. I also am curious why someone would say that they work for headphones and not speakers. That's a dumb statement, if it works on one, there's no good reason why it shouldn't work on both (unless you're trying to use unpowered speakers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.