Did anyone tried Verizon dsl?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pbagaindoc, Nov 16, 2005.

1. pbagaindoc macrumors member

Jun 8, 2005
    I need your comment on this. Thanks in advance!!!:)
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

should really put what area you are in because service will vary according to where you live...
  3. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    I used to have it, it sucked especially their use of PPPoE, I dont know if they still use it though. They promise 1.5mb service, only get 300k!. Now I have comcast and get 5mbps
  4. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    DSL seems slower. But i guess it depends how close you are to the station.
  5. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would like to try it, but it is not available for me yet (live in the suburbs/country). We have satellite tv, so going for cable would be even more expensive since I would have to pay for both cable tv and cable internet access.

DSL, please make your way to where I live. :) :p
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

you didn't read the fine print in the agreement. dsl agreements always up to 1.5mb with some min value of speed. also it is never 1.5mb download. it usually like up to 768k-1024k download and up to 512k or some scheme like that. like the other poster said, you speed will vary because the distance between you and the sub station.
  7. boogamihxc macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2005
    Verizon sucks horribly. Service is just :mad: ! Then i switched to COX. And Yeah, weee. :]
  8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I gave it a try as Verizon had a 30-day free trial promo a few years ago. I have been with Optimum Online for over 5 years now and I found Verizon DSL was not as fast as Optimum Online. I returned DSL package back to Verizon after a few days of trial. Even though Verizon is charging less than what Optimum Online, I value the performance over the cost ($10 to $20 difference per month is not worth sacrificing faster speed).
  9. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Same thing happened to me, Verizon was terrible for us. The connection was so slow and dropped all the time. Go for cable broadband instead, you'll be much happier.
  10. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    If you want VERY fast internet, get Cable broadband (Comcast is the best but they have **** for servace for Mac OS 10.3.9 and below.
  11. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I have VZ DSL here north of LA as I am too far from the central station to go with anyone else for DSL (I'd love to get my DSL from Speakeasy), and the local cable co sucks.

Anyhow VZ just upgraded my service to 3.0Mbps/768kbps after a year in service and it has been rock solid, unlike my previous PacBell/SBC Yahoo DSL which tended to go out for about a day every other month.

Customer support is lousy with a capital L, but so far I haven't needed them past the self install. (Somehow the circuits weren't wired right and I would sync up, but wasn't able to puch any traffic through the connection that was established. A local tech was finally dispatched and corrected the problem in 15 minutes.

EDIT: I should also that it's DHCP not that PPPOE abomination SBC was using.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    The $14.95 DSL package currently offered by Verizon is 768 down by 128 up and is being marketed to current dial-up users. And it's a great deal for them, especially if they don't need any support from Verizon. I have 1.4 down by 356 up Verizon DSL resold through a local ISP, and I've had no problems with the service lately, though I had plenty for quite a while.

When you have DSL problems, it's usually related to the condition of the wires in your area. I made such good friends with the service technicians that I was given the phone number of the local dispatcher, whom I was invited call directly if anything comes up. I have nothing but praise for these guys! They've been incredibly helpful. Now, if you have to call the 800 number, that's another story entirely.

Also, if you want a static IP for a reasonable price, DSL seems to be the only way to go (though not directly through Verizon -- you'll need to find a cooperative reseller).
  13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    i've had great service with verizon for about 4 years....cant even remember the last time I lost service

this is in the west los angeles area