Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Loop reader Keith Huss shared an interesting look at how the Apple Maps fiasco actually turned out really well for end users, now that Google Maps has gone live on iOS.

In the end, Apple has gotten exactly what it wanted for its users when it introduced its own mapping solution: turn-by-turn directions and lots of choice in mapping. Additionally, Apple is prominently displaying third-party map apps on the App Store (with Google Maps at the front), and delivering perhaps the best maps experience on mobile.

findmaps.jpg
Situation: Apple cannot get Google to update its maps app on iOS. It was ok, but Google refused to update it to include turn-by-turn directions or voice guidance even though Android had these features forever. Apple says, "Enough" and boots Gmaps from iOS and replaces it with an admittedly half-baked replacement. The world groans. Apple has egg on its face. Google steps up it's game and rolls out a new, free new maps app in iOS today that is totally amazing, I'm sure to stick it in Apple's face... Ooops.

Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years. Users win.

Article Link: Did Apple Get Exactly What it Wanted for Users in Google Maps Spat?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's good for all.

The simple (read native) solution is to use the built in Maps app. For those that love Google products they can download. I'm sure that developers will implement a link to GM if it's installed in some apps.

Both Apple Maps and Google Maps will be divergent and Apple will be free to take their technology down the path they prefer and likewise for Google.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years."

Sure. And Ping was just a way to get Facebook to update their iOS app.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Allow users to set a default mapping solution, so when I ask Siri for directions she pulls up Google Maps instead of Crapple Maps, THEN I'll believe this was all planned.

Icestorm815

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
So the Australia incident was part of the marketing plan too? Apple has always prided themselves on making products and apps that work as you'd intend them to do. I don't see how deviating from that would be helpful for Apple's image. There's an awful lot of spin on that article, and there's no why I'm buying that.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Whether apple intended this or not, its a win win for customers. Going from one basic google maps option, to apple's map and a far better google maps is awesome for users.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I think they had to settle for the very opposite of what they wanted. They got the best mobile mapping but it's not got their name on it.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Or they hated Google and wanted to get rid of everything Google on their phone :cool:

Which is why they approved the Google Maps for iOS!

Oh, wait...

this is a bit of a stretch to put it mildly.

I'm less sure than you are. I have been thinking about this, it's certainly plausible.

Whether it was smart (if they did indeed plan to do this) is another question. Google could have simply not participated, for one.

Interesting, strategery indeed (yeah, that's a word now, I hate it).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple has nothing to fear.

If you're a developer you likely not going to extend a bunch of effort to skip Apple's Map API and write to Google when you can't guarantee that the end user has Google Maps installed on their iDevice.

Basically this move is great. It shuts people up but there's no chance that Google can make a beachhead against the native Mapping solution. People, by and large, are going to go with what came with their phone.

BinaryTim

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Dakotas
So the Australia incident was part of the marketing plan too? Apple has always prided themselves on making products and apps that work as you'd intend them to do. I don't see how deviating from that would be helpful for Apple's image. There's an awful lot of spin on that article, and there's no why I'm buying that.

Google Maps isn't perfect either, even though they've had about a 5 year head-start over Apple.

As per this article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/121312-australia-google-maps-265083.html?hpg1=bn

:eek:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Spin.

Google didn't refuse to give Apple what they wanted. Apple and Google weren't able to reach an agreement. Apple wanted the new features. Google wanted the App to be branded Google Maps and also to integrate Lattitude.

Since neither party would concede, the rest is history.

The users got what the users wanted (mostly) - except for true OS integration. Apple didn't get anything but bad press. If Apple REALLY wanted to give its users everything Google was able to provide - they would have conceded during negotiations.

Giving Apple "credit" to this is laughable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.