Did Apple make a big mistake with the iTunes phone?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by R.Youden, Nov 20, 2005.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Just my opinion but:

When Apple went into partnership with Motorola to sell the iTunes phone did they make a big mistake. I dont mean that the phone they decided to launch with was poor, I am moor concerned with the actual use of iTunes. I think that all phone manufacturers would have jumped at the chance to licence a mobile version of iTunes with a new phone, the only exception would probably have been Sony. I just think that Apple are falling into the same trap they did in the 80's with not licensing the OS. I know people dont want Apple to licence Intel versions of OSX (which I agree they shouldn't) but this is different, all mobile phones are pretty solid devices and they could easily adapted to fit iTunes into their interface. Another plus would be that it would make iTunes accessible to even more people; I cant see many people buying the Motorola just because it has iTunes.

Just my opinion, what does anyone else think....

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think we've only seen the beginning of iTunes on mobile phones. I bet Apple's working on their own iPhone, and are also working with other companies (who can create better looking phones) on getting iTunes to work on their phones. But, we really don't know what Apple's up to. Now, they're just experimenting with the market...

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I don't know... but I tend to believe Apple knows what they're doing. They've got folks a hell of a lot smarter than me, thinking about this a hell of a lot more than I have... I hope, they have the right answer.

Personally, I don't want to carry an mp3 player and a phone. One device suits my needs.. as I only have one set of ears. I'll also be the kind who upgrades his phone as much as he would his mp3 player.

:)

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I would like a nice phone that has huge storage for music too, but that won't be happening for sometime unless Flash prices fall like crazy. I hate having to walk around with a cell phone and an iPod in my pockets...