Did Apple Quietly Rename the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texas04, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

So I went to the Apple Website and much like the Apple TV, the iPhone, looks to me like its being called the Apple iPhone on its home page. Even though on the tabs at the top, and on the Apple home page it is still being called "iPhone".

Could, the name "Apple iPhone" be what its *new* name is if Cisco doesn't allow for the trademark to be used, no matter the deal Apple makes?

(Apple) iPhone Website
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Apple TV Website
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/

Both have little Apple symbols next to them. Indicating Apple TV, and maybe.. Apple iPhone?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Cisco and Apple were about to sign an agreement in which Apple was allowed to used the trademark "iPhone", but I don't know if that was settled or not

3. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

That I have heard... but with the lawsuit.. could this be their way of covering up? Or their way of getting around the trademark?

Edit: So if they knew that they were going to infringe when they released it, could that Apple symbol be a backup for a "potential lawsuit"?
    This in partial response to reply #4 by TheAnswer

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I agree with dllavaneras, that Apple would probably still need Cisco's permission to use "iPhone" even if Apple calls it "Apple iPhone"...

As for the Apple symbol on the iPhone page, I think it's been there since the page went live on Tuesday...I don't think Apple added on as a response to the lawsuit.

5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Holy moley, he's right. I don't think they had the apple symbol near the iPhone on the right of the page. They did have it on the left before though.

Introducing AppleiPhone!

6. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...they did add the one on the right! Be interesting to see if they add little apple symbols throughout the text and on the apple.com homepage too.

Brilliant idea if it works...which I'm not sure it will.

7. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i took a screenshot of that page the day iPhone was introduced.. both the left side and right side had the apple symbols even then

also look at http://www.apple.com, they would have added the apple symbol there wouldn't they? ;)

8. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

True, but I don't think anyone really thought about this. They may have said "iPhone" but they label it differently. Its short name may be iPhone.. . Much like a iTV, Apple TV talking. But this could back them up in court if they really get backed up into a corner.

Its actually really smart.. its subtle enough to where it normally wouldn't draw much attention, but strong enough to say that its real name is Apple iPhone.

Would you mind showing us that screenshot?

9. dumpheaddotcom macrumors newbie

Hope not ;)

Hope they don't change the name. In case of that a lot of guys bought the wrong domains ;)