Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your MBP get fixed when you sent it in?

• All issues I had got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Some of the issues got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Nothing got fixed (please mention your issues)

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I have a week 7 MBP 15 inch 2.0 GHz with the following issues:

*screen-brightness dependent buzz (faulty screen inverter?)
*CPU whine (problem with logicboard?)
*suddenly dropping airport connections (don't know source)
*right speaker faulty during iChat.
*some areas becoming very hot (misapplication of thermal paste?)

I haven't sent the laptop in because of various stories of people getting them back after 2 weeks with scratches but nothing fixed. So I'm starting this poll to get an overview of how well Apple Care is doing their job. If you have the time, please specify, which (if any) of the issues you had with your MBP got fixed when you sent yours in.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I have a week 10 MBP

*Excessive heat - cooled down slightly with latest firmware update
*CPU whine - still going (dealing with it with QuietMBP)

Other than that its perfect, but so far Apple is 0-2 I would like to see Applecare take care of the thermal paste and the CPU whine sooner rather than later.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
My battery went bad, and they sent me a new one, and all is well. I guess thats more of a battery problem, but it works fine now. I voted for #1.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
they sent me a new battery as well. I'm wondering more about repairs for which the mbp needs to be sent in.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Mines gone in twice now, once to fix the squealing noise..nothing fixed, and it came back making the mooing sound..!

On the first attempt they replaced the logic board and keyboard. On the second attempt they have replaced the left fan, the right fan, the hard drive, and the hard drive connecting cable.

I'll see this weekend if the problems have been resolved at all.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I know that this would never work because people can't be without their MBPs for weeks at a time, but I wonder what Apple would do if everyone spoke up about their MBP issues and sent them to Apple for repair?

I'm guessing that there'd be a huge stack of MBPs needing some love at their repair depot. :rolleyes:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Subiklim said:
macbook123 said:
*right speaker faulty during iChat.
QUOTE]

Right speaker turns off automaticly in iChat so there is no feedback when using the microphone.

You are wrong. The LEFT speaker turns off because that's where the microphone is located. The right speaker should be working. None of my speakers is working correctly when I'm using iChat.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
I voted some have been fixed because Apple said they'd give me a new power supply free of charge but dismissed the heat and whining issues. Since then Apple has agreed to just take the whole thing away and give me a complete new system, and since they don't do the 1.83GHz model they even said I'll get a 2.0GHz one. Then I'll put in the 2GBs of memory I've just ordered and I'll be screaming :)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Max on Macs said:
I voted some have been fixed because Apple said they'd give me a new power supply free of charge but dismissed the heat and whining issues. Since then Apple has agreed to just take the whole thing away and give me a complete new system, and since they don't do the 1.83GHz model they even said I'll get a 2.0GHz one. Then I'll put in the 2GBs of memory I've just ordered and I'll be screaming :)

That's surprising that they give you a whole new system. What did you do different from others? Any idea?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I'm trying to keep this poll up in the list because many readers must have sent in their MBP's for repair by now. So please folks, contribute!

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Hello! Nobody else sent his/her MBP for repair?

Still only very few answers. Please, if you have sent your MBP for repair and have made good or bad experiences, share them with others!

pabloman

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2004
Norway
Macbook Pro is how hot? :) :D

Attachments

• imagine_hell.jpg
    imagine_hell.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 123

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I have only called Apple about the whine issue, and they told me that the only thing I could do is to take it to an Apple store where a Genius could listen to it.

That solution is ********, because 1) Apple stores are noisy places, and I do not want a Genius determining that Apple can do nothing about the whine when it is likely he won't even hear it in the store and 2) I shouldn't have to take time out of my day to drive it an hour away just to have them say they can't hear the whine.

I don't know what to do about the situation, as the sound is bothering me, but I don't know if it is bothering me enough to have to deal with the stress and time of arguing with Apple over it.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
My MBP 15" was replaced 2 days after I received it, the whine was VERY loud. The replacement wasn't much better, so I sold it a week later.

My 17" is currently 9 days old and it's replacement was just shipped. I should have it in the next day or two. The only issue with the 17" is the display's hinge is too loose and it closes any time you move the notebook.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
spencecb said:
I have only called Apple about the whine issue, and they told me that the only thing I could do is to take it to an Apple store where a Genius could listen to it.

That solution is ********, because 1) Apple stores are noisy places, and I do not want a Genius determining that Apple can do nothing about the whine when it is likely he won't even hear it in the store and 2) I shouldn't have to take time out of my day to drive it an hour away just to have them say they can't hear the whine.

I don't know what to do about the situation, as the sound is bothering me, but I don't know if it is bothering me enough to have to deal with the stress and time of arguing with Apple over it.

Write a letter to Steve Jobs. Call Apple and ask for Steve's FAX number. They WILL give it to you. Fax him the letter and wait 3~5 days. You WILL get a call from the Executive Relations office.

I've done this twice now. The "geniuses" are morons. Make sure you let Steve know that the noise is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Transeau said:
Write a letter to Steve Jobs. Call Apple and ask for Steve's FAX number. They WILL give it to you. Fax him the letter and wait 3~5 days. You WILL get a call from the Executive Relations office.

I've done this twice now. The "geniuses" are morons. Make sure you let Steve know that the noise is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Are you being quite serious about this? Because if it works, I will definitely give it a try.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
spencecb said:
Are you being quite serious about this? Because if it works, I will definitely give it a try.

I am very serious. Like I said - I've done it twice.
I admit it. I'm the "Squeaky Wheel". I demand perfection.
I figured that it worked with Dell, why not Apple.

My 15" MBP was simply too noisy. This was long before people started posting about the whine. (I think I was one of the first post about it, and I was told my users that I should go buy a Dell if I was so unhappy)

When I took it into the Apple Store the 'tard at the "Moron Bar" said that all notebooks make that noise. When I complained about the distortion from the left speaker he responded "It's a notebook, you can't honestly expect good sound from a tiny space"

So, I wrote to Mr. Jobs. I was pissed off. I bought my MBP so I can edit and mix audio on the road. I received a response from a Mr Allen Rhodes, "Apple VP of Executive Relations" three days later. Not more than a week after that fedEx delivered my new notebook.

Same basic deal with my 17". Took it to the Moron Bar to have them fix the LCD's hinge. The 'tard AGAIN says that it just fine and that "there is no reason to use it at an angle." He said that the 17" was designed to be used on a desk only, and that Apple states that it is not to be used unless the base is on a flat and level surface. When I asked him if he had ever used a notebook in bed he responded "What's your point?" So I tilted my MAB17" up a little bit (about 20º) and the LCD slammed shut. When I asked for the manager, he went in back and 15 minutes later the manager came out and spewed out exactly what the tech said.

So I waked out and wrote another letter. Mind you that this was on the day that I received it.

So, 2 days later I got another call from the Executive Relations office to setup another replacement.

eAspenwood

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2005
USA
I sent in my 17" MBP for issues with the lid. It was loose and could be brought out of sleep easily with the lid closed. Also, like Transeau's, it would slide shut if I held it at an angle. It is getting replaced. Hopefully, week 3's batch will be better than week 1's of the 17" MBP....

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
eAspenwood said:
I sent in my 17" MBP for issues with the lid. It was loose and could be brought out of sleep easily with the lid closed. Also, like Transeau's, it would slide shut if I held it at an angle. It is getting replaced. Hopefully, week 3's batch will be better than week 1's of the 17" MBP....

I have the latest 17" MBP and I can tell you that my hinges are also loose. You will be getting the same exact computer, new or repaired. You have to modify the hinge to get it tighter.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
spencecb said:

It works, I emailed the well known email address and one day later received a call from the executive office.

My problem is still being worked on...two attempts and still no success though, so I'm glad to have the contact details of someone thats not totally clueless like so many of the phone support staff are - It means I can keep calling and being a pain in the neck til the issues are resolved.

This whole experience has totally put me off Apple for the time being, my Dell laptop from work (that I assumed would be junk) has been a damn sight better than my MacBook Pro so far...something I have made quite clear to the rest of the User Interface department of the multinational company I work within...!!

Malcster

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2005
Bristol, UK
Thats good to know, mine has been in for repair twice, LCD Buzz, Whine and dodgy right speaker. (its had logic board and speakers replaced) it still whines.. seems better on mains power but on battery it makes a racket. AppleCare now tell me its 'within spec'.

Im not sure i can face the hassle of sending it back again, such a great machine when its quiet!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Would one of you mind private messaging me or instant messaging me with the "well known e-mail address?" This sounds like something I would like to pursue.

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
I should try this with my 15" MBP. It makes the whine, even though it's not that bad. But, if I can get a brand new replacement.... :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.