did apple silently update the mighty mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by QCassidy352, Jul 17, 2006.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    When it first came out I went to an apple store and tried out a few of the mighty mice. I was not at all impressed. They were unresponsive, hard to click (had a squishy feel, if that makes sense), hard to scroll with, and generally one of the most frustrating mice I've ever used.

But yesterday, while picking up my macbook from repair, I played with a few of the apple store's display units that had mighty mice, and I had a totally different experience. The mice seemed much firmer, all of the buttons were easy to operate, and the scroll wheel worked properly. All in all, a very satisfying and enjoyable mouse to use.

I know there's never been an official update, but is it possible apple did something to the design since the initial release?
  2. adom macrumors 6502

May 27, 2006
    Not sure, but when I bought my iMac G5 iSight in November, I got one of the first versions of the MM im guessing, and from day one my has been clicking well, scrolling like butter and etc.

Hmm, I have never had a problem since mine! :D
  3. Subiklim macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2006
    Manhattan, New York
    Yes. But no one knows for sure. It was done earlier this year.
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Why wouldn't it be possible? If I recall correctly, there were quite a few complaints (and still are some) in regards to the MM.
  5. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I ordered mine as soon as they were announced. Love it. No problems.
  6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
  7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    I love my MM after a bit of a shaky start. When I first unwrapped it and tried it out, I thought it had made a mistake. Unlike most mouse I've used before, it isn't really shaped to fit your hand (the result being that its prettier than your normal mouse). Plus, I really had difficulty getting used to the side-clicking; i just didn't feel natural. But its now second nature, and its a feature I couldn't live without. Finally, I still think the two buttons in one feature is poorly implemented. On my mouse at least you have to really click on the far right side of the mouse to activate it - so I often left-click when I actually mean to right click coz I haven't moved my finger far enough to the right.

All in all, a great mouse - but takes some getting used to. Once you get used to all the functions you'll begin to wonder how you lived without them.

But when are they finally gonna bring out a wireless one?!?!
  8. mark! macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    I want a wireless one....BAD.
    It took to long so I got the single click bluetooth one...

I guess they are having trouble because the innards are too big and don't have enough room for 2 batteries. Maybe they should just put the same battery that is in the DS lite into the Might Mouse Bluetooth. So then the battery is really small & rechargable that is compatible with being charged with the iPod dock...

dreaming & off topic...
  9. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    i ordered mine right when they were announced, mine has never been bothersome, EXCEPT for when the scrollerball gets clogged up with desk-cheese ( my word for the nasty stuff that finds its way onto cables, into mice & keyboards )

after a good cleaning though, its always good as new. i use it for my " on the go " mousing needs.
  10. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    oh, of course it's possible... I was being imprecise with my language. :eek: :eek:

The fact that there were so many complaints is one thing that makes me wonder if there was an update. If apple got a very bad initial reaction to the MM (as I think they did) then maybe they changed it as a result.

I guess I was really just wondering if anyone else had noticed the difference in mighty mice between initial release and now. For me, it was quite striking, so I think there must have been technical changes.
  11. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    i own two, i know the box was rediesigned instead of black on white its white on white.
  12. joshwest macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2005
    Solution for the roller ball is this, just take a clean sheet of notebook paper and roll the roller ball over it firmly works everytime for me... and i intially liked mine a whole lot i think it takes a little time for the sensors to be more sensitive my hand use to be more up front of the mouse now since it has eased up its more on top.
  13. amacgenius macrumors 68000

Aug 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Scrolls like butter...

Both my MMs (I had one got it replaced due to scroll wheel) were both very responsive, buttons clicked good, etc - and to answer your question using information from Apple if you go into a retail store, look at a barcode on a MM box, it says MA086LL/A the /A signifies the revision/generation which means the MMs are still Rev A's.

14. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2006
    I didn't like the way the MM felt but if they are firmer and had the wireless option, i'd definitely snap one up in a jiffy. The scroll-ball thing does take some getting used to.