Did Apple worm its support out of the country like Dell?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gaijinjim, Feb 17, 2004.

1. gaijinjim macrumors newbie

I purchased Apple Care Protection last year after getting such stellar support from Apple in the first 90 days since I got my PowerMac G4 last March which continued during last summer's Airport Extreme Base Station fiasco. As such, I was expecting the same type of support to continue, but today I was sadly mistaken.

I don't mean to offend anyone in posting this. However, I think Apple has outsourced its tech support to a third party in India, just like Dell, Microsoft and AOL has.

Joel, the individual I spoke with today was of Indian descent. (I have friends from India, so I know what the accent sounds like.) Anyways, he was clueless as to getting around the MacOS desktop, didn't know where software was even located, didn't know the shortcuts to get to certain programs, like System Profiler from the "About this Mac" window. Didn't understand that the System Profiler does not show the Mac's serial number if the motherboard has been replaced like mine has been. (A result of a faulty Apple Pro speaker port on a FW800. Yes, I was one of the lucky ones.) Didn't understand that the first generation iPod I have does not have any GB engraving on the back like second and third generation iPods. Nor would he even believe me.

I called with questions as to why since upgrading to iTunes 4.2(72) I have been having such a hard time getting it to play nice with my iPod. Last night iTunes crashed during the middle of updating songs that were already on the iPod, which rendered my iPod basically useless.

After the crash the iPod kept resetting itself constantly, thus wasn't able to get recognized by the Mac. It wasn't until I remember while I was on the phone with "Joel" that by pressing forward and reverse at the same time on original iPods can reset to the point where it is recognized by the computer as a Firewire device and it needs to be restored using the iPod Software Updater to return it to full functionality. Anyways, I have my iPod back up and running no thanks to "Joel."

:mad:Apple if you are listening, bring tech support back to the USA!!! People are paying for it and expecting better service from the company that has been rated the one of the highest in customer satisfaction for support over the past few years!!:mad:

I will continue to use Macs, but I will more than likely stop paying for the Apple Care Protection Plan with my next Mac. Online resources besides the Apple's Support website and knowledgeable friends seem to be a better way to get problems resolved than wasting the ton of time on the phone with inept "tech support reps.":eek:

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Whenever I called AppleCare, I've gotten mostly american-sounding peopel, though i did get someone British-sounding once. AFAIK, Apple's tech support ios still based in Texas, which is why it operates from 8AM to 8 PM Central time.

3. gaijinjim thread starter macrumors newbie

I have always spoken with some one from the Bay area since while he or she is searching for something we normally chat about the weather or what not in Seattle and down there and how similar they are. I have never gotten any one from Texas.

However, my experience today was horrible. Normally, the reps I have spoken with are at least knowledgeable about basic usage of the MacOS.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Apple is moving overseas, look at where any product is made. Are the Towers still made in the U.S.? Sad you cant talk to someone here? Brass getting Richer, workers? who gives a s !
    Nafta

5. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

http://macobserver.com/article/2004/02/17.13.shtml

Apple is indeed shipping jobs elsewhere (though we've known they have outsourced manufacturing for a while now). However,

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

i guess my talk about living wages is coming home....

7. johnnowak macrumors 6502

You should call back and complain. This guy obviously should not have been hired, and should not remain employed there.

8. dethl macrumors regular

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Re: Did Apple worm its support out of the country like Dell?

Assuming that merely because he spoke with an indian accent that he is actually in india doesn't seem fair. IN addition just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean you should assume they will all be like that. Apple consistently gets high marks for tech support.

10. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Whew, good thing you quoted the whole post. I'd of been totally lost otherwise!

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

12. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

hang up and call again

then you might get someone that is a little bit brighter about the mac. The problem here wasn't that he was foreign, it was that the tech support didn't even know the product one bit. As you see, Apple didn't do the Dell thing and go all tech support to India. The have techs in Britain, Canada, India, probably even in some Asian countries to deal with the language differences. You and me as Americans expect everyone to speak English, but that is in no way the case. Thus the need for tech support else where.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If I lived in India and spoke Hindi, I wouldn't want to talk to some English speaking tech in America :p

14. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

In 2000, Apple were already looking to outsource support for South Africa, so let's hope the current trend isnt quite so drastic.

"Apple South Africa is about to lose 90% of its staff -- going from six employees to one. South Africa's Apple community is reportedly unhappy that Apple is now outsourcing all support, and the remaining employee will be responsible just for marketing. The area that remaining employee will be responsible for is huge: all South Africa and the entire area up to sub-Saharan Africa."

I was also reading up on the Eire economy and Apple was /is quite a mover and shaker, and their call center is theoretically staffed by elite staff to put it mildly. The minimum was fluent in English and one other language, plus Apple speak presumably.

15. gaijinjim thread starter macrumors newbie

My point in posting this was not in anyway racial. I'm am questioning Apple's logic in outsourcing tech support to a foreign country whether it is India or any other country when the quality of the support suffers that badly.

I heard a great comment on the radio going to work the other day about the fact that most corporations used to support its workers but not any more due to the climate Bush has fostered over these past few years.

EVEN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON OUTSOURCES!!! This infuriates me when Washington state residents can't find jobs but the people handling their unemployment is from a foreign country. Don't know if that is fact or not, but there is a bill in the Washington State Legistlature requiring state departments at least keep the jobs in the US. Currently, over 20 some odd depts out of roughly 35, have shipped jobs overseas.

Don't get me wrong. Look at my handle. Gaijin (foreigner in Japanese) Jim. I lived and worked in Japan for numerous years, but I question the logic behind shipping jobs overseas when quality and service fails as a result.

As far as the hardware being made overseas. Yea! It is a sad state of affairs, but you need to realize that is the economics of it. Do you realize that there is not one television sold in the US that is made in the US?? BUT SERVICE JOBS!?!?!!:rolleyes: They are getting pretty greedy.

16. gaijinjim thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Did Apple worm its support out of the country like Dell?

Apparently you didn't read the entire post even though you quoted it all. Apple does get high marks but this was such a drastic change that I was totally astounded!!! I hope that Apple doesn't fall to the medocrity that other companies have. That has been what has kept Apple above the pack!

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Don't let high marks fool you...

I'm using what is supposed to be Maine's best dial-up ISP, www.gui.net, yet it is the slowest dial-up ISP'ing P.O.S. I've ever used.

Likewise, one of the guys at the propane company (the same company that produced my father's nightmare in Jan. 2003) failed to show up to work to help us set up a very heavy selection of boxed equipment. The motherf***er has yet to be fired!

My point is: For a quality company, more than 50% of the time, you'll interact with qualified and helpful individuals. For a s***ty company, more than 50% of the time, you'll interact with your impatience more than any smart people working at the company.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Re: hang up and call again

there are no techs in britan only in ireland britan being one of the most expensive places in the world

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I either get Indian or southern accents. So yeah... India or Texas....

20. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

There are two call centers in the US, Sacremento and Texas.

The location in India AFAIK is only so that Apple can have 24hr support (hence why there is a location in Australia as well).

So far my support calls have been top notch.

21. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Do you realize that there is a fantastically large amount of Indian familes in California? Don't you think its just possible that they may get jobs, and that tech support beats flipping burgers? Just because someone has an acccent doesn't mean they are in a foreign country, and even if they are, so what? If they can get the job done and are treated fairly whats wrong with that? Obviously if they are exploited (sweat shop labor) than we have problems, but Apple is an international company, why shouldn't they have support centers world wide?

22. laserbeahm macrumors member

President Bush caused American companies to send jobs overseas? Wow, that's amazing that he has that much power. I didn't know that American companies used to refuse to send jobs overseas before he took office. I guess the phrase "Made in China" has only been around since the year 2000. Great insight.

23. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

People who could afford to buy computers in India would be more likely to be fluent in English than in Hindi.

24. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: Re: hang up and call again

It's Britain. It has two 'i's in it. .

Tech support for Apple in the UK is done in Ireland as Apple has a big place in Cork and has for years. It's also where they assemble powermacs for the European market - My MDD was 'assembled' there.

Recently I got some clueless Indian guy on the line when I phoned Apple. Told me a complete load of crap which I had to ring and sort out later with Apple in Ireland. Previously I've also been routed through to Canada. I consider myself lucky when I get the Irish as they are polite and seem to know what they're doing...

25. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Before this turns into a big political Dems vs Rep argument, it should be noted that both Bush's and Clinton supported globalization. Making the rich man richer.

I personally think NAFTA alone wouldn't have been so bad. Everyone needs jobs, not just Americans. But, as soon as Mexico's standard of living seemed like it may have been improving, China got normalized trade relations with the U.S. So, those overpaid :rolleyes: Mexicans are now seeing their jobs move to China. I think if only small areas at a time are added, it would have been ok. Once US, Canada, and Mexico are all doing well, add a few more small countries to the list. Of course, this would probably take centuries. It would suck to live in one of the last countries to be able to do free trade with the richer countries. Hell, I'm gonna go buy a Powerball ticket.

Anyway, on topic... Apple needs to save money and maintain its edge at the same time. I'd say, have their call centers serve their area. Why pay an American $12 an hour to serve India, when an Indian may do it for $5. (I have no idea what tech support people make in either country, so my number may not even resemble truth.)