did bush politicking enable the london bombings?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 14, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from a recent abcnews article about the london bombings:
    there was prior intelligence from the laptop of Naeem Noor Khan. where have we seen that name before? he was the turned AQ leader outed by DHS during the democratic convention to justify an orange terror alert.
    at the same time, the daily news was reporting:
    so, because khan's name was leaked, the brits were able to round up only part of the luten terror network suspected at that time of planning london tube bombings. and less than a year later, the bombings go ahead.

nice one.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

it gets tiring to read about the sheer volume of ****-ups bush has made in his war on terror.

rather than addressing the undelying causes he has decided that declaring a losing war would be more politically expedient.

not to mention his complete disregard for non-fetal human life.

chalk up another 52 on the innocent side.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Sorry, zim for posting the other thread. Didn't see yours.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its amazing everything that we have gotton with 5 years of Bush. Worse President since Jimmy Carter in my view. Clinton & the republicans had us sitting pretty well, George and the republicans have gotton us into a stupid war, thrown away billions, made all americans terrorist with its patriot act,did nothing on the border and the list just goes on and on. Pathetic Sorry bunch. Its hard for me to find one person in his administration that i like.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Worst. President. Ever.

Jeopardizing the national security of our country for political gain is inexcusable. I can guarantee you if Clinton had done anything like this his impeachment would have succeeded. And justifiably so.

Yet we have a silent right-wing punditocracy, the same people who went after Clinton with a vengance because 'it matters that you tell the truth' could care less that Rove and/or Novak may have committed treason and then lied about it to cover their tracks.

And now evidence that the Bush administration justified a political use of the terrorist threat assesment to try and suck some wind out of their enemy's sails.

What does the right expect to happen the next time the Dems are in power? My only conclusion is that they feel they don't have to fear that prospect...

6. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

far and away.

and the gap is opening by the day.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't mean to divert a good rant here, but I've got to get this off my chest. Why do all, and I mean all, of the U.S. news services insist on calling it the "London subway?" I mean, how many seconds does anyone need to spend in London to know the difference between a subway and the Underground? About eight?

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

'Rat? what will it take to become apparent to you that terrorism is a useful tool for this administration politically?

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

They do it for all the American's that haven't spent at least 8 seconds in London? :eek: :p

I'm sure London sport casters use the term "football" when talking about the sport/players in the US even though we call it soccer not football.

We call it a subway, they call it the Underground or tube. We call it soccer they call it football. We call it football they call it american football. Chip, crisp. Flat, apartment. Bloody hell, jesus f'in' christ.

Whatever... ;)

Lethal

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's a-LUM-in-ee-um that gets me... Tickles my funny bone every time.

And quit suckin' on that fag! :D

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, the official name of the system is "The London Underground" so to call it something else, is, well, to call it something else. In Paris it's the "Metro," in Chicago it's the "El," in San Francisco it's BART, and in New York (and only New York, AFAIK) is it called "the Subway."

So no, I don't think it's at all like football. I think it's a lot like carelessness.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

IMO, U.S. foreign policy has been ineffective and largely naive back to (some brilliance) in the paradoxical administration of Nixon. I'm still not over the fact that Madeleine Albright was actually appointed Secretary of State and served under one of the brightest, yet most naive presidents in modern U.S. history. Could anyone believe that Middle Eastern and Muslim countries did anything but laugh up their sleeves at sending a woman to negiotiate within a cultural setting not the least bit interested in being converted to Western thought? Once again, they were insulted and patronized by a culturally insensitive and presumptuous U.S. agenda. That was the strategy of a Rhodes Scholar back then. Unbelieveable. No, 'Bush whacking' and blaming W for bombs going off all over the planet is too short-sighted. U.S. naiveté in foreign policy has been at it for decades.
    X

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you don't like it, stop watching. :cool:

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So the root cause of ME terrorism is Madeleine Albright? I never thought of that. Perhaps she should have worn a fake beard.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

technically, only the elevated part is the El (or "L"). the part that goes underground is called... the subway.

and the part of the Brown Line aka Ravenswood Line that runs at ground level is typically referred to as, "the part of the Brown line that runs on the ground."

clever lot, us.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The Underground is called the Underground even when it's Overground.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well it's the smell more than the visual effect that I don't like. ;)

As for Ms. Albright being the root cause of terrorism, I have to disagree. I thought it was brilliant of Clinton to use her. She was the iron fist in the velvet glove, the grandmotherly type who could hand your ass to you with a smile on her face.

Provoking a response because you don't like women is far less justifiable to the world than responding because you've been bombed. If someone wants to step onto the world stage and say their grievance with the US is that they were forced into the undignified position of negotiating with a woman, let them. I think the world has moved forward enough that a complaint like that would simply expose you for the person that you are.

Besides, if Albright was a problem, how much more of a problem is Rice? I mean, she's a black woman! The former colonial powers must be horrified and humiliated to have to negotiate with her. I'd expect we'll see them attacking us soon too, no?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought it was the orientation.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When I lived in Chicago, which admittedly wasn't for very long, I never heard any part of the system called "the subway." Has that changed, or did I miss out on something? In fact the only part of the system that I can recall running through a tunnel was a short stretch of the State Street line south of the Loop. But it was a long time ago... in fact my strongest memory of the Chicago El is the conductor's mumbled incantations of the stops, followed by "nosmokinondatrains." It was so consistant, I figured they all must have gone to a special school for it.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the red line and blue line (which runs to o'hare) have long stretches where they're underground. some people do indeed call it the el, even when it's underground, but a lot of people do make the el/subway distinction.

in the loop, there are two lines underground and 4 above ground. i've heard people say, "take the el or the subway?" (typical response: "**** it, i'm grabbing a cab" :)

fwiw, i grew up near chicago and have been living in the city itself since 1990.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This kind of "blow off" response actually makes my point. We don't get it. Cross cultural communcation and sensitivity and HOW we negotiate send indirect messages that we don't get it. Bombs get attention. They continue to be a statement where a vacuum of communication exists. It has nothing to do with my or anyone else's personal, Western appreciation for the empowerment of womanhood, with which I have no issue. It's about foreign policy and the U.S's continuing to not hear while ridiculing any other voice which happens to disagree with her.
    X

22. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

most american newspaper write/edit their papers to produce reading at around a 4th-6th grade level. Ever wonder if you stop 10 American on the street and ask them to point to London on a map, and see if they could find it? In other words, the average joe here couldn't tell you what is a London Underground, tube, BART, or AFAIK etc. is.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Oh! Oh! I know where it is! It's about midway between Toronto and Detroit... ;)

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I decided to pass on that one, myself...
    :rolleyes:

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't feel like I was 'blowing you off'. Not sure where you get that impression. Did I not address your argument in a cogent manner? Or is anyone who holds a different opinion 'blowing you off' when they disagree?

Was it an improvement when Powell was SecState? Did our credibility amongst Muslims go up because he has a penis? And are you saying it's better to use bombs to negotiate than a woman?

:confused: