Did Hussein's execution have any positive effects?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cleanup, Jan 12, 2007.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Seems to me like it just made him a martyr for Sunni militants? :confused: Personally I think that, certainly Hussein deserved the death penalty, but in reality he deserved much more. So much more in fact, that instead of being executed it would have been more appropriate to have him locked up in solitary confinement for the remainder of his life in the most squalid conditions possible, just habitable enough to keep him alive. Execution is the easy way out for such a man as Hussein. On closer inspection, execution was just about the best thing that could’ve happened to Hussein after having his country invaded, because a leader procures stronger loyalty and passion from his devotees when he's dead than when he's alive and repressed.

So besides inflaming sectarian tensions, what did this whole thing achieve? And wasn't this pretty much Bush's whole purpose of going to Iraq? To do what his dad couldn't?

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Well, he's dead.

Sure it sounds stupid, and it doesn't seem like a big positive... But when you think about it... He was a horrible horrible man and just him being dead is nice. And did you see the pictures of people celebrating when he was condemned to death.

I feel it can bring some hope.

Edit: as far as locking him up for the rest of his life... Well, him dropping with a rope around his neck costs basically nothing, him staying alive for a while longer would cost quite a bit for a country that certainly needs its money right now.

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I wouldn't recommend imprisoning him within Iraq. That would make it far too easy for him to break out, be broken out, or be killed.

In fact, I think the fact that his tribunal was held in Iraq is absurd. If it were held in the Hague, none of this baloney would have happened. He would've gotten a fair trial, perhaps may not have been sentenced to death, and if he were, it definitely wouldn't have been videotaped...

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Saddam was just a product of a Islamic Society. Islam breeds these guys. Iraq is a waste of time unless your going to remove the Koran,Shariia law and all the other crazy thinking Islam Pushes. Bush's plan is nothing but a scam, these societys need a murdering bastard like Saddam to keep them a little bit under control. We are seeing this everyday in Iraq.

What King Bush should have done was to offer Saddam his rule back and put his tail between his draft dodging legs and go home. Lot of people have died so Iraq can have its civil war again.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In the absence of due process - a show trial on an exemplary charge does not constitute due process - this achieves nothing whatsoever. There is nothing "nice" about him being dead, and it brings no satisfaction or closure to his thousands of victims whose deaths he never had to answer for.

His execution brings yet more despair, not hope. Your craven coward of a President may derive some childish satisfaction for having brought about the death of a man who tried to have Bush Snr assassinated, but the cost in human and financial terms is incalculable. This is one of the most facile and ill-considered assessments I have yet seen.

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

8. Queso macrumors G4

Whilst the opinion that Saddam being dead equals a good thing is quite valid, the manner of his execution was anything but. It hasn't helped at all, and if anything it will result in the violence spreading out of Iraq and into other Arab states.

9. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

You're kidding, right?

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

As has already been said, the execution of Saddam Hussein has created a martyr for the Sunni's, and has provided revenge for the Shia and Kurds.

However, the tragedy of the execution (beyond the obvious) is that Saddam Hussein has come out of it with a better image than those of the lawyers, witnesses and his executioners. Saddam's last image to world should not be one of the dignity he showed despite the provocation of all those present at his death. Surely it should have been of him, a broken man, being lead away from the International Court to face life in prison for all of his crimes.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

some iraqis said they saw saddam's face in the sky in the evening,......

shall see whats gonna happen

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Saddam was as much a Muslim as Bush is a Christian. :rolleyes:

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No. It didn't help. It just made things worse. We turned a despot into a martyr. A martyr for people who should have hated him more than we do. He was a terrible person, but I'd prefer we were better than that and held life more sacred than he did. Revenge serves no purpose other than to further inflame the hatred and prevents him from being brought to justice for the other crimes he was to be tried for.

I'm not exactly sad he'd dead, but seeing as how we're sending more troops to Iraq now, as the violence increases, yeah... I'm thinking it didn't help at all and actually did make things somewhat worse.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would say Saddam was more Muslim then George Christian.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Many Iraqis would take issue with that. There are "nice" things about him being dead. It brings to an end the rain of a maniacal tyrant who is second only to Adolf Hitler in his plans to commit genocide upon thousands of men, women, and children.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Josef Stalin and Pol Pot obviously never existed in your world.

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

One of the "nice things about him being dead" is that his conviction and execution for the death of 148 Shia Iraqis in Dujail has conveniently silenced the only person who could have embarrassed the US, UK and other governments.

If he had gone to trial for his more serious crimes, such as the Anfal campaign or the Iranian invasion, imagine the fun that Saddam Hussein would have had in the court telling the world that his weapons and political support came from the very same people who are now trying to convict him for those very crimes.

18. scu macrumors regular

Did Saddam’s death have a positive effect? This question is much too early to answer. It remains to be seen how much reference will be made to him by those fighting over there. From what I have seen on the news, most of the rebels were not using him as the motivation to fight. Islam was their motivation, not one individual. Therefore one would conclude that his death should not have that much of a positive effect.

However, there were millions who benefited from his reign and millions who suffered as well. Those who benefited have now lost hope of seeing him back in power, and a few might give up fighting for an eventual return of the Baath Party which Saddam lead. Those who suffered will feel justice was served and might be more motivated to move on and improve their country without his constant shadow in the background.

I would not necessarily contribute a sudden decrease in US Deaths for Jan. to his death. 13 US Soldiers died in the first 12 days of Jan. compared to 49 in the first 12 days of December. Also the number of Iraqi Security Forces deaths are down drastically. But if this trend continues for the next four months even before we get more troops there, then it would be safe to say that his death did have some initial positive effects.

What has not changed is the killing of civilians. This is motivated by hatred for one another not their love for Saddam.

19. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

To say Saddam Hussain was a product of Islam is like saying Stalin was a product of Athism. Tyranny and violence isnt an exclusive quality of Islam now is it? Bigotry and violence has existed in all civilisations and ideologies.

And how is Hussain more muslim then bush a christian? Can you qualify that please, particularly as Tariq Aziz (his foreign secretary) was a Roman Christian. How many non-christians are in the Bush government.

20. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

All I know is that between dropping more man-power on Iraq, and this new initiative to raise the federal minimum wage by a considerable amount, Bush seems to be bent on sending this country into a downward spiral for at least the four years after he gets out of office.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Do some research of Islam and what it promotes, wake up and look into Sharia law and what it is, might want to look up the definition of Jihad also many call themself a Christian but are anything but a christian. Bush & Aziz both fall into this category. Bush after loosing one election decided he wasnt ever going to loose the Christian vote no matter what it took. They are just playing people, people like you.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The reign ended in the first week of US invasion.

The current ****-storm (with rain) started just after.

Mao killed more people than Hitler and Stalin combined. Saddam was a piece of crap dictator who shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the true mass murderers of history.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry, but if we're basing our military responses by number of people currently being killed, where's our massive deployment to darfur?

why weren't we in cambodia facing down pol pot?

why didn't we stop the slaughter in rwanda?

and so on.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No Oil,No Oil,No Oil,:) do I get the prize?

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. yes you do.