Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mrpepsi, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mrpepsi macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2002
    My girlfriend was bargain shopping at one of her favorite stores. It's one of those places that has overstocked, returned, or superficially dameged items.

She found an iMac G3 350Mhz for $200, and an older Powerbook (Lombard maybe?) for $20. I had her buy both of them.

The iMac works great, but the PowerBook doesn't have an AC Adapter and of course the battery is dead. Where can I get an AC Adapter for the powerbook, or will my adapter for my new iBook work?

Also, should I install OSX on the iMac or OS9? Will it be incredibly slow? It has 196MB Ram, I'm just wondering if the 350MHz G3 can handle Jaguar.

Thanx a million for anyone who can help!
  2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2001
    DeKalb, IL

what exactly are you wanting to do on the iMac? Just normal everyday stuff like internet, word processing, email, etc?

If so, then X should work fine on the iMac. I've got 10.2.3 running on both of my iMacs. Both are 400 MHz G3's with 512 MB RAM in one and 256 MB RAM in the other.

As I said though, as long as you're not trying to edit a feature film or something, X should do just fine on the iMac.

and also getting a bigger and faster hard drive to put in there would help too.

3. mrpepsi thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2002
    I'd like to use it just for like an additional bedroom computer or something. I may want to use it for iMovie. Mainly just a networked computer for iTunes.
  4. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    well how much ram does the iMac have, but enough ram in it and it should be fine.
    As far as the powerbook goes, there are probably plenty of sites but here is one to start you off http://www.powerbookguy.com/lombard.html#power