Did I get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pianodude123, Feb 27, 2007.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I just purchased a relatively new Macbook Pro on eBay for $1870+45 shipping. This totals out to $1915 for a 2.33 GHz 2 GB Ram, 160 GB HD, Matte C2D Macbook Pro without extended applecare, but I can purchase that separately. I know that a similarly configured Macbook Pro from the Apple Online store sells for 2600+130 for Tax, so I saved about $800. Is this worth it? Has anyone else purchased computers on ebay and had problems? Thanks for the help!

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

a refurb 2.33, 2GHz, 120GB HD would be $1999 from apples refurbished store. so you saved $85 and got a larger HD. My guess is you saved ~$150.:)

enjoy

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

meh...so $150 for a used laptop compared to a refurb...?

I think I just got an okay deal then.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would say you saved about 10% over the already good refurb deal at apple. that's a very good deal. and you got the 160 GB HD what i've never seen on the refurb site. if i find one like this i might be tempted myself!

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But..you didn't a full year of Apple's warranty. I don't think you got a good deal, but I don't think you got ripped off either.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as long as its still in good warranty, its all good, congrats.

7. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

You also got 2GB of RAM. What does the refurb come with?

8. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Ya...I think that all new macbook 2.33s come with 2 GB...

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the MBP is at most 3 month old. in the greater scheme of things that doesn't matter since I keep my computers for 3 years or more. so the OP in my opinions got a very good deal.

10. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

So I assume that since it is at most 3 months old I will be able to purchase applecare of course. I always buy applecare for my computers just in case something goes wrong!

11. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Now officially changed!

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

But if it breaks just 1 week out of warranty, well, that would totally suck. :(

13. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Update. After the seller re-reading the auction's listing, he informed me that he made a mistake listing the auction, so it really has a 120 GB hard drive :(.

Fortunately though, I coerced him into giving me a $100 rebate... :)

I can buy a much larger external hard drive with that much money... :)

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Wouldn't it have been smarter to start this thread before you bought?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Smarter yes, but not as much fun for us...

Usually we try to traumatize a MR member into thinking they were scammed on eBay. :p

16. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

And then proceed to find the scammer, post their adress online, get a nearby member to stalk them, and eventually get them 0wn3d by the FBI. :D

Honestly, I would have gone with the refurb, if only for the peace of mind that I could go back to apple and complain if anything is broken, wheras in getting a used piece of equipment you run the risk that he dropped it or scratched it, which apple won't do anything about.

On the bright side, you saved a bunch of money, which is great. All in all I think you did all right for yourself.

17. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

Gee.. let me think this one through... do i save 85 and buy from someone who i have no idea who he is or why for some reason he is selling this thing... (can you say bad pixels... can you say little scrath on screen.. can you say stolen..) or do I go online and order a completely refurbished one and get a one year warranty from the company who makes the bloody thing.. ah.. no, i order it from the complete stranger with 3 feedbacks... lovely.. good luck chump.. let me know.. i got a mouse that works with it left over from an old pc.. the right mouse button doesnt work anymore, but that should matter.. you dont use it anyway.

18. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Excuse me, but I think you read the original post incorrectly or did not follow up through the thread. I am not a complete newbie where I would go throwing around $2000 without verifying the product first. Second of all, the difference between my computer and a refurb is $200, quite a substatantial difference to $85. Also, when I buy a warranty for the machine, I trust apple will fix any problems I may encounter with it. Besides, I wont have a refurbished serial number, which means that if Apple were to replace the machine for some reason, it would be with a new machine, not a refurbished one. If I may, I would suggest you ensure that you know the details of the situation before you go on a flaming rant insulting people. No newbie comes onto this site with the aim of insulting one of a higher rank. It's social hierarchy, bud. Even if your point was valid, I can think of 1000 different ways to state your point nicer...

Good luck, Friend

19. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Just recieved the computer today!

It is in beautiful condition! It was just purchased about 6 days before I made the original post!!!!!

In the long run, I'd say it was worth it!

20. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

No newbie comes onto this site with the aim of insulting one of a higher rank. It's social hierarchy, bud. Even if your point was valid, I can think of 1000 different ways to state your point nicer...

Good luck, Friend[/QUOTE]

YES CAPTAIN WACKO.... HERE IS YOU WHIP... TWO LASHES TO OUT RANKED NEWBIE.. SIR.. YES SIR.. ..

21. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

YES CAPTAIN WACKO.... HERE IS YOU WHIP... TWO LASHES TO OUT RANKED NEWBIE.. SIR.. YES SIR.. ..[/QUOTE]

You sounded very immature in your other post.

Is it past your bed time?

22. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Wow that went down hill fast......

Well anyway congrats on the new MBP. I love my PB and it has not failed me yet, but I still can't stop thinking about a nice new MBP, I guess it doesn't help that I have the 1.33G PB, the one right before the back-lit keys....

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Considering you didn't get the 160 HD, even then I know you saved some over the refurb, but I would consider myself lucky that you got such a new and pristine machine. I personally wouldn't go for that kind of savings when buying such a high priced item with relatively minimal savings in the ebay marketplace where so many unknowns and can-go-wrongs are lurking to bite you. However, congrats on your new machine, glad the dice came up good for you.

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

congrats to your machine! i'm looking for a similar deal myself. but my powerbook is still good so i'll wait for a while longer. waiting is hard though!