Did i just void my warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Anthony8720, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Anthony8720 macrumors regular

I have a macbook that vibrates, so I decided to try to see if I could "fix" it on my own. All I did was loosten and then tighten the four screws (two on left, and two on right) on the macbook. One of my friends just told me that voided my warranty. Is this true. I mean, i didn't even take anything apart. And for anyone that is wondering, that didn't solve the problem.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't taken a MacBook apart but I believe the screws you can remove are brass coloured and the screws you cannot touch are grey/silver/whatever. If theses screws are brass, then you're definitely fine. If they're not, then you should still be fine. I can't imagine Apple would be so tight as to void your warranty because of loosened and then tightened screws.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

4. Anthony8720 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha, I think the name of that site will cause me to take that warning with a grain of salt.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The part about those screws being sort of useless is basically true, so don't worry about your warranty (unless you went and did something dumb like route the reverse tachyon phase emitters through the warp coil).

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Don't blame iMeowbot for the damage to ya from being shot out of the milky way galaxy :p :p

7. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Very... Apple like. :rolleyes:

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

give your friend a slap, i've taken my whole macbook apart and replaced the thermal paste and generally had a poke around inside and i've had warrenty work done on it no questions asked, i am an apple certified technician but i never told them that.

you only void the warranty when you break something and you only loose the warranty on that part unless that part takes out annother part.

9. thestaton macrumors 6502

x2. hehe just don't take it apart and bring it to the apple tech's in a box with stuff lying everywhere and I think you'll be fine :)

10. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I guess they can only see if the warranty is voided if something is totally odd when they open it up (a wierd G4 --> G5 transplant or something).

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Well since we have established that your warranty is fine, let's move on to more important matters. Did this (un)screwing solve the problem?

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course it did. :p

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Remind me to buy you a pair of pliers the next time you have a toothache, I'd hate to see the mess you'd make with a dremel and silly putty.