Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miguelcorleone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
lisbon, portugal
All I heard was a pop, the power surge protector that I just bought switched off and then I smelled something burning: it was my Mac! a G4. Is it dead? Did I kill my computer? Is this something that can be repaired?

I was actually fearful of something like this happening; that's why I bought the surge protector and it might have been the worst thing I could have done. I just moved to Lisbon, Portugal from the States and was told by people in my building to protect my electronics. Is there any hope? Can something like this be fixed or is my computer just junk now. If it is in fact dead, can any of the information on the memory be retrieved?

I'm almost in tears.

Voltage here is 220v. My computer is a Power Mac G4 tower. Things with the power went wrong, but I'm not sure exactly what. The Ironic part is that I went out and bought a power surge protector, and by actually plugging my computer into it caused the electrical pop and subsequently "fried" my computer.

Any tips, signs of hope, recovering my files if my computer cannot be fixed? Also, does anyone knowof a Mac repair in Lisbon?

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
US Mac?

Did you plug your US-Mac with its Power Adaptor possibly set to 115V in an european 230V outlet?
In this case a surge protector won´t help at all.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
miguelcorleone said:
All I heard was a pop, the power surge protector that I just bought switched off and then I smelled something burning: it was my Mac! a G4. Is it dead? Did I kill my computer? Is this something that can be repaired?

I was actually fearful of something like this happening; that's why I bought the surge protector and it might have been the worst thing I could have done. I just moved to Lisbon, Portugal from the States and was told by people in my building to protect my electronics. Is there any hope? Can something like this be fixed or is my computer just junk now. If it is in fact dead, can any of the information on the memory be retrieved?

I'm almost in tears.

Voltage here is 220v. My computer is a Power Mac G4 tower. Things with the power went wrong, but I'm not sure exactly what. The Ironic part is that I went out and bought a power surge protector, and by actually plugging my computer into it caused the electrical pop and subsequently "fried" my computer.

Any tips, signs of hope, recovering my files if my computer cannot be fixed? Also, does anyone knowof a Mac repair in Lisbon?

You're kidding right?!! I mean, you bought a SURGE PROTECTOR?? You're supposed to get a "Transformer".. more specifically, a Step Down Transformer.. to convert the 220 V to 110-120 V. A surge protector is only meant to handle small transient surges.. not a leap from 110 to 220 V!

Sorry..but.. your G4 is toast if the logic board is fried. On the other hand, if the fuse (do G4s have fuse in their power supply?) blew..meaning it prevented the high power from runing evrything else by blowing up.. your G4 is good. Only the fuse will need to be replaced. Hopefully that "pop" you heard was just the fuse blowing up.. hopefully. As for the contents of your memory.. you mean the hard drive, right? If its not damaged, yeah you can retrieve that.

Who told you that you need a surge protector for using your G4 internationally?!
:eek:

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Did you change the Voltage setting switch?

There is a voltage setting switch next to the power connector socket on the back of the powermac that needs to be switched to the 230 V line. See your manual.

:(

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Years ago I went exploring 'round the back of my G3 and found the orange switch. I flicked it from 230V to 110V (hey, I was young and stupid :eek:) and experienced the same pop. From memory, it just blew a fuse, so you might be alright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.