Did I kill my poor Clamshell ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bgfra, Aug 11, 2006.

1. bgfra macrumors newbie

I have a nice clamshell 300 mhz that worked fine, yesterday I tried to install an extreme airport card and now it doesnt start anymore.
    The power receptacle goes from green to orange in seconds and the computer appears dead, may be I pushed too much the card inside breaking something or may be I should have removed the battery (that is not working anyway) , I don't know , what do you think I should do now ?
    May be the logic board is gone ?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You probably should have removed the battery. Was the card an AirPort card or an AirPort Extreme card? If it was an AirPort Extreme card then it wouldn't have fitted properly but forcing it in may have caused damage. Did you have to force it very very hard?

Also, have you tried removing the card and booting up? :)

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

The Airport Extreme card will not fit inside a clamshell, they only take regular Airport cards. If you shoved it in there too hard, there's a good chance you might have broken something on the logic board. Have you taken the card out to see if it'l boot without it?

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

5. bgfra thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did
    Sure I broke something, I will open it and have a look,it 's a pity , it really worked very fine, I feel really bad :(

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks. Whoever sold you the card should have asked what machine you were using because an Extreme card cannot go in a Clamshell. :(

7. bgfra thread starter macrumors newbie

Well , I just had a look to the manual and I realized that the logic board is not in that area , so I dont think that I have damaged it.
    I also dont think that the fact that the battery was inside really counted.
    Most probably I have disconnected or broken the touchpad cables, anyway I found a cheap logic board for 39 $ , if it is really broken , I will change it .............
    So, let's cheer up and react ........:)

Thank you for your answers.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, if anything I reckon the power source may be broken so if the new logic board doesn't help, then that's something to check. Good luck. :)

9. StealthiNfinite macrumors newbie

StealthiNfinite

there are pins in the clamshell for a cardbus card

Um, think about the airport card... it's a cardbus card, the other half of the connector has plenty of pins... those are probably bent and shorting, remove all sources of power and fix it before replacing power, you don't wanna fry anything. this should be obvious to anyone familiar with laptops and airport cards. :cool:

10. bgfra thread starter macrumors newbie

Is ok now !!!

I finally fixed it, I changed the logic board and and now is fine !
    (30 Euros)

Thanks to all

11. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Phew. Thanks for finally telling us, after 2+ years! I was on pins and needles wondering what ever happened to your poor clamshell!

:)

Another post to get moved to the appropriate forum (not your fault, other then the fact that you resurrected a 2+ year old post).

12. bgfra thread starter macrumors newbie

I know

"Thanks for finally telling us, after 2+ years! I was on pins and needles wondering what ever happened to your poor clamshell!"

I know , that's why I came back to tell you, now forget it , life goes on !