Did I make the right Choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CryptoMac, Sep 21, 2003.

1. CryptoMac macrumors newbie

Well, I finally took the plunge. I just ordered a Dual G5 with 20" display. Since I have been a PC user for so long, that amount of money kinda makes my stomach flutter. Can anybody help settle me down by telling me how much happier I will be now that I have jumped? Thanks for all "pep" talks.

2. jzieske macrumors regular

You will enjoy the new computer a ton. Just getting rid of windoews is worth a few hundred dollars to me. You made the right choice for sure.

Hope that helps.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

18 months ago I purchased a then top of the line Mac for use as a video editing workstation. The more I used it the more I fell in love w/my Mac. Currently I'm saving up for either an iBook or a PowerBook to replace my home-built PC as my "everyday" machine.

Lethal

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations CryptoMac on your purchase of a new Dual G5 and a Cinema Display. I sure that you will not regret your decison! It's awesome machine.

I happen to be wrestling with the same decison. I also want a Dual G5 but with a 23" Cinema Display. My wife drove me to the Apple Store today, she want me to order. Still ambivalent because so many on this forum say wait till rev. B. I don't know if I'm crazy, but I really want to have the Apple Pro Card.

5. flukewurm macrumors member

XP is really as crashproof as OSx by my experiences... to me theres nothing WRONG with windows... its just that OSx is so much more RIGHT.. -- and being a PC user for nearly 10 years now i know how to keep a system pretty clean and stable... but X is just so much more friendly :) its so nice.... i borrowed my friends ibook for a few weeks one time.. been jonezin for a mac ever since.. im selling off some of my music equipment to get my first mac.. probably will be an ibook 800 :)

wheeeee!

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Wow! a dual G5 is your first Mac? Incredible. That's like getting a Lamborghini Diablo as your first car.

Has it arrived yet? If not, quick! You still have a chance to go find a IIci or a Quadra 650...!

7. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a bit over the top for me but I wanted something that will be with me for a very long time with minor upgrades. Since Rev. B was mentioned, is that something that is the norm in the Mac family? Don't buy the first run? I don't want this to be something that I will regret by getting the first run. I can wait if needed...don't want to but will. Thanks.

8. Waluigi macrumors 6502

CryptoMac--

This video really made me feel good about my 4 grand going into Apple's pocket....

--Waluigi

9. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Waluigi. How could you not get excited watching that video. I can't wait now!

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is trully an awesome video Waluigi, thank you for the link. Congratulations to you both on your purchase!

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

there isn't a better choice you could have made. congrats

12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Sure, why not. At least you don't have to worry about upgrading the video card every 3 months... Although you wouldn't get as many free apps and good games on Mac. But the Cinema 20" should make you a very very happy man. I know I am.

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

CryptoMac

You are gonna get a good computer, now, it may be just a bit faster than the fastest PC for a considerable price difference. You are gonna feel that.

But... you are getting a system that works totally, a Macintosh is a unit united! You are gonna work faster, not only because of the processor speed, but because the entire system and peripherals are mean to work with each other, that is gonna save you 80% of your time at work. There is the value.

Today I'm slling a Powerbook G3 400 with 6GB HD and 256MB of Ram for $600, I'm selling today a used computer that came out in the year 2000 for the price of a brand new PC. Whye is that, because this systems works and last in time. For todays needs this G3 400 (like a Pentium 2) can be upraded to a G4 500, can have up to 1G of Ram, 2 firewire ports, 2 USB, s-video our, RGB out, sound in/out, swapable CD rom and many things more.

A Macintosh last for at list 4 years. I can run OSX with no problem, the only thing I can not improve is the video ram and the system bus.

The G5 you got is a classic, in 6 month is gonna be discontinued but the market value does not represent the real value of the system itself.

Have fun with it and do not look over your shoulders at other systems.

14. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. Everytime I get on the Mac forums, I feel better about the switch. I have yet to get the same amount of quality input from a PC forum. Thanks again.:)

15. spacepower macrumors member

good purchase

hey CryptoMac,

I wouldn't be worried abt your purchase at all. I have the 20 in Cinema Display and can say I have yet to see a display come close in quality.

As far as the G5, you'll be quite happy with it for years. I am thinking abt selling my 2003 Powermac G4 DP 1.25 to get the new Dual G5. I have been looking at selling my G4 and I will lose alittle off the resell price, but not too much since I had an educational discount and added some extras. I may lose a couple hundred bucks but that's that same as selling a P3 to buy a P4 when the P4 just came out. And the G5 is here to stay for 2-4 years.

I also have a Powerbook G3 400MHZ metioned in this thread. I will also sell that for around the $600 mentioned. It's Febuary/March 2000 technology with less than 1/5 processor speed (bc it's a G3 not G4) and 1/8 the video ram as the current powerbook. Macs hold their value since i can sell it for more than 1/4 of what i paid for it....3.5 years after i bought it.

Peace and enjoy

16. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

ACK - a 20"

Everything was right and then you made a mistake:

You should have purchased the larger Cinema Display - it's better than krack.

17. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasabi, I would have no problem with extra cash for the 23 but the financial advisor of the family placed a stop to additional funding. :D

18. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-CryptoMac

I agree. I believe this happens because we actively like our machines - they're revered, and treated as companions, because they treat us the same way.

19. BIGgui_X_ macrumors member

Dual G5

Dont forget to put alot of RAM in it ! So you will be able to have even MORE fun ! I would say add at least another 512 MB in it.

20. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on adding an additional 1GB from Crucial or Kingston. That should really make that thing fly.

21. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Congrats!

I wouldn't worry about the Rev B. thing. It's been blown out of proportion.

arn

22. CryptoMac thread starter macrumors newbie

23. Makosuke macrumors 603

Welcome to the club--speaking as a Mac user with experience dating back to 1986 and who also deals with PCs on a daily basis at work, I'll wager you won't be disappointed. Heck, as soon as you see that cinema display plugged into the G5 sitting on your desk, every worry should fade away very, very quickly (sure wish I could afford a new display).

I also think you made a good call going top of the line for longevity's sake--that's the same thing I try do do now, and it's not just for bragging rights (though that's funn for a little while, too). Just shy of three years ago, for example, I decided to spend the extra cash on a DP533 G4. I dumped a bunch of RAM and some fast hard drives into it, but it's otherwise unadulterated, and surprisingly enough it's still quite snappy and a fine computer today, even though I push it quite hard (lot of DV video work). Although it looked like a lot of money at the time, my investment has more than paid off, and is considerably cheaper than if I had bought a midrange model then and one more in between.

Actually, my trusty G4 easily has another year of life for me, but the DP G5's siren call proved too much temptation, so I have one on order now, too.

Besides, with a new G5 you get the added bonus of the thing getting faster over time as more is optimized for it.

Don't read too much into the Rev A business--there are always issues, but the first G5s to trickle out are looking quite solid, and there have only been a few quirky Rev A models anyway.

24. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think that a G5 for a first mac is a bit overkill, but have fun:)
    you wanna buy me one?:p