Did I make the Right Choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imback, Oct 11, 2004.

1. imback macrumors newbie

Hi guys, im new and not sure where to post this so please bear with me.

A few people recommended the new G5 to me. I ordered one tonight and have to wait 4- weeks (no big deal). I bought the 17" 1.8Ghz and upgraded to 1GB of RAM.

Since the purchase, i've been reading various net reviews that seem a bit bitchy toward it and I'm now wondering if I made a mistake.

Any guidance welcome.

Many thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You will love it.

Many of those reviews you will have read will be from PC-using people who will be hostile to anything from Apple.

A (trusted) personal recommendation counts more than some web review.
    And you sprung for some extra RAM... good move.

Anyway, if we told you that you had made a big mistake (as if), would you have the courage to cancel the order?

Of course not. 'cos you wanted a Mac...
    :)

(Just don't expect it to be the biggest baddest gaming machine ever, that's all)

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....it is hard to tell you if that new iMac G5 is right for *you* without knowing what you are planning on doing with it. In general though, it is a really nice peice of engineering and is an excellent computer for most general needs, except perhaps hardcore top-of-the-line gaming.

There are always those out there that slag off everything Apple makes - remember all the ranting people did about the iPod when it was introduced - ($399....are they crazy....nobody will buy that!....). I think the response to the new iMac has been a lot more positive than negative though....I don't know how much that helps you.....oh yeah!

4. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the reply, much appreciated.

I wont be using it for games, I have a PS2 for that and I only enjoy a select few games.

I want to run dreamweaver, photoshop and surf + update my website (in my sig).

My mum had a mac about 10-12 years ago and it was great. Trouble is now that I havent a clue about the software that comes with it. What the freak is GarageBand? lol

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....for what you are doing the iMac will be great....you'll really enjoy it. Garageband is for making music and is loads of fun even if you don't know how to play anything....oh yeah!

6. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers duff-man :cool:

can you give me a short run down on the other software that comes as standard and what they are for.

Thanks.

Sorry to be a complete newbie torture :p

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A good book that covers most of the software and the OS is:

OS X: The Missing Manual (Panther Edition)
    by David Pogue

(It's not that expensive through Amazon)

ps. What do you think of Liverpool's start to the season, then?
    Are they going to miss Michael Owen? Milan Baros isn't very happy at the moment, apparently.

(Me=Chelsea fan)

8. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

Its taking forever for the page to change when I hit reply to post in the forums.

Anyway, thanks for putting my mind at ease regarding my purchase - its a lot of money to me but hopefully ive made the right choice.

Re: Liverpool. I dont think the real Benitez' reds will be seen until next season. Of course you will always miss a player like Owen, but such is life.

Baros could be sold and no-one would notice IMHO :D

What about Damien Duffer? Being Irish myself I'm a huge fan. Jose doesnt seem too rate him and I think things will get worse for him when Robben returns.

I'd love to see duffer at anfield. In fact, I'll always regard him as the one who got away.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Ta for the PM.

Mourinho is a defensive maniac.
    I think Damien Duff is a little adventurous for his tastes.

I watched France v. Ireland and thought they came pretty close there to a big upset.

I'm not hugely knowledgeable about football but I lived next to Stamford Bridge for about 6 years and still live in Chelsea... always been my team long before Abramovichs money turned up.

10. imback thread starter macrumors newbie

It could leave before long aswell so your loyalty will bode well :cool: