did i miss read, all new powerbook have no L3 cache?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SLJ, Sep 16, 2003.

1. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

I just read all the spec from those pdf file, all the new powerbook does not have any L3 cache, but the L2 cache being incresed... what is going on?

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I can't say this for a fact, but I believe that all of the new PowerBooks do have L3 cache.

The reason that Apple chooses not to mention the L3 is that the G5s don't have L3. The uninformed consumer might think that the G4 has something the G5 doesn't. It's all marketing.

EDIT - Yes, Moto does make G4s with no L3 cache. Must of had a brain fade. Even so, I still believe that these updates include L3 cache.

4. SLJ thread starter macrumors regular

SLJ

can anyone really verify this, the technical specification does not state any L3... this is not marketing thing...

5. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Well, obviously motorola makes G4s with out L3 cache, L3 cache is NOT on chiup memory, like L2 and L1. I'm almost 100% sure that the powerbooks all contain a L3 cache, the perfomance hit they would suffer by removing it would more than negate the speed bumps they just recieved.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Dude, I doubt the lack of L3 in light of a faster and slightly improved G4 chip, better video by far, better RAM, better HD, and soon to be better OS X will make the new PowerBook *slower*. Besides, it's got twice as much L2 cache which is a lot faster than the external L3 cache, anyway. I'm happy with it. My PowerBook doesn't have it. My girlfriend's iMac is fast and capable and doesn't have it. My friend with a dual 1 GHz G4 doesn't have it and it screams just as fast. If it really means that much to you, I am sure you can get an older model.

7. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Apple got upset with everyone complaining that the old 12incher didn't have L3, so to compensate they removed all L3.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

9. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

wtf is all this complaining about come on people ????. doomed if you do doomed if you dont at least they got updated craping hell fire...

and they say us brits complain ????

10. Golem macrumors 6502

While I could be wrong about the technical aspect I beleive a l3 cache needs to be significantly larger than the l2 cache to be effective. Since the l2 has been increased to 512mb their choices were probably no l3 cache or 2mb of l3 cache and l3 cache memory is expensive.

11. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

My understanding on the processor issue.
    The 7447 has NO L3 cache interface.
    The 7457 has a L3 cache interface.
    So ... if the PBs don't have L3 cache, then its likely a 7447.
    If they have L3 cache then its a 7457.

My opinion ... its a 7447, Apple only says its a G4. Its even remotely possible its a 7445. If it was a 7457, marketting would likely use that. If its anything else, then down play the processor specifics.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Exactly, they don't really know anything but they are speculating and it's bad--it's all bad. :D

Maybe you people ought to wait for someone who has one to tell you how it performs because that's what counts.

It's amazing to me to watch people surprised that a 4 cylinder car can beat an 8 cylinder car in a race simply because the 4 cylinder car was much more nimble. ;)

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

It's definately not a 7445(55). The 7455 only supports up to 256kB of L2.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK,

I guess for the people out there who are still confused as to whether the new PowerBooks have L3 or not (me included), the answer is no.

On another forum, a user who just purchased a 15" ran a system profile. L3 cache didn't show up.

So I guess they're using 7447s.

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It's still going to be nice and zippy, though. L3 isn't the only thing making a G4 fast. These things have more internal cache, higher clockspeed, twice the RAM limit, a faster HD option, and one hell of a mobile video card that absolutely spanks the nVidia Go series. Not to mention it is one hell of a step up from the PowerBook I am replacing it with, all for cheaper than my old one was, so I am definitely happy.

16. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I believe golem has got it figured out. L3 memory (which operates at much higher speed than the RAM although not as fast as the on die cache) is quite expensive, and the fact that 2 MB would be required might be the determining factor.