Did I miss the British GP Thread?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Blackadder, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I couldn't find it, or am I crazy?

I didn't want to miss the chance to put my foot in my mouth after dissing Montoya, my favorite driver. No sooner do I say that he's looking bad this year than he goes and wins a GP in dominating fashion. Alonso has it all but locked down and Raikkonen is faster but JPM is still one of the most entertaining drivers, especially when he's on the pace.

And how about Fisi? Holy barnacles, stalling the car twice in two races (forgetting the &*%*$ USGP), this time to give up a certain podium spot. Ouch.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I guess this'll be the GP thread then :D

Anyways, I probably didn't get many points for my fantasy team AGAIN! I should dump BMW and maybe both my drivers (Rubens lost spot from quali, and Nick didn't even touch top 10 all weekend). Ugh.

Sort of good to see JPM back on form, pulling his crazy passes (going around the outside of Schumi at the Bus Stop back in Spa '04, now going around the outside of Alonso at Copse on the first lap). I wish I had an idea how he did it, maybe I could try the same stuff in Forza Motorsport :D

I honestly was expecting to at least beat BAR there. At least they both finished in the points :(

3. iGav macrumors G3

I've been too busy to start a thread for both the French and British GP as I'm hyper busy at the moment... so no one else stepped in then??? *slowly tuts and shakes head* :p

In a nutshell...

• Alonso will win the title :(
    • Mercedes have cost Kimi the WDC :mad:
    • Kimi should move to Ferrari for '06 :D
    • Fisi is getting royally shafted at Renault, exactly the same way as Trulli did last season when he was whipping Alonso. :mad:
    • Ferrari should concentrate on '06, and try and finish 5th in the WCC so that they can run an extra car next season. :D
    • Schumacher's still driving the wheels off a shed

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, I'm so used to seeing you start one... How could you be too busy for F1?!?

Kimi in a Ferrari with Shuey? I dunno, I don't think any team's big enough for the two of them, and I can't see Michael leaving Scuderia before he retires. But I'm sure Ferrari wants the Iceman to replace Schuey when the time comes.

Why is Fisichella getting screwed at Renault? I haven't heard that before. If he is he certainly has pace so he should jump ship.

I'm curious to see if Ferrari can bounce back next season. Schuey will win if given a halfway fast car. He could run as well as he is now in a Jordan or Minardi...

5. iGav macrumors G3

I'm not too busy for F1... :D just a little busy to take the time to start a thread and discuss it at the mo... that's all.

Schu and Kimi in the same team would be incredible... :D after Schu, Kimi's the next best... and by some margin as well over the others, the similarities in the way they drive are quite incredible, not necessarily in technique as such, more characterisitcs. Both are awesomely fast in qualifying, both have the confidence to nail it from the greenlight, both are capable of extracting far more than the car seems capable of. On the flip side of the coin, both can overdrive to the point of making mistakes.

The only negative thing I have to say about Kimi, is that he seems awfully hard on his car, especially over the kerbs... and that's the only area (maybe rain as well, but the lack of rain races recently makes it difficult to gauge) I think he doesn't match Schu in. I think that'll come with experience though.

He's f**kin' fast though isn't he!!! :eek:

I'd love to see him at Ferrari, I get the impression that the McLaren's reliability (or lack of) is getting to him... it contributed to him losing out on the '03 title, and it's all but finished his chances in '05 as well. :(

There's a line of thought by some, that it's rather odd that Fisichella has been experiencing all of the mechanical problems this season, especially the last 2 races, which have seen him stall in the pits, even though the cars have anti-stall devices.

We know Fisi's smooth, along with Button... the smoothest of them all. We also know that Fisi has a habit of dominating his teammates. Yet this season, after starting the season superbly and looking REALLY strong, all of a sudden the gremlins start kicking in and he starts encountering mechanical difficulties and odd problems like the car stalling in the pits.

We saw the same thing last season, Trulli handed Alonso his arse, then stuff starts cropping up and we see Trulli dropping right off the pace, complaining that the car isn't handling... it deteriorates to such a degree he leaves Renault.

Not that I'm suggesting that Briatore has conflicts of interest or anything... :p

Linky

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

To be sure, Raikkonen is easily the second fastest driver in F1. I just don't know if two people like Shu and Kimi could get along on the same team. They'd be racing each other more than anyone else. If any team tried though it would be Ferrari.

I was certainly surprised to see Fisichella fade so totally after that first brilliant win...

I know Kimi must be frustrated with the fast yet fragile McLarens, but right now where would he go? The Renault can't match its pace, though it doesn't brake down as much. And the Ferrari isn't what it was. Still, Scuderia is a good place to be for any F1 driver.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Except for Prost, Alesi, Villeneuve... (why are they all French (speaking)?) :(

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

:confused: I don't get why did you singled these three out. especially villeneuve.

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm talking about nowadays... my F1 knowledge is pretty recent. :eek:

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

11. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Prost went to Ferrari when he was (arguably) at his best, after winning 3 championships with McLaren. Not much came of it, a few wins here and there, but not the driver's championship as some were expecting, and even more were hoping for. Heck, he actually was fired by them! :eek:
    Villeneuve, well, Zolder '82 :(
    Alesi was a promising young talent, finishing 4th in his first GP (at home no less!) and had some other great drives with Tyrrell. Ferrari signed him for '91 to partner Prost, and finally won his first, and only, GP in Canada in 1995 (after Schumi's car crapped itself), after coming oh-so-close many other times (usually giving the win to Schumi). He got booted to make room for Schumi/Irvine (take your pick) for '96, effectively swapping drives with Mikey.

Not exactly a great history for those who parlez frainçais :(

14. iGav macrumors G3

He would've been WDC in '90 had it not been for Senna deliberately ramming him at Suzuka. :mad:

1990 was a classic season, much like 2000... when the 2 best drivers were in pretty much equal cars. Incredible. :)

15. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

let's see... imagine a little... kimi wins 2005 championship and moves to ferrari for 2006 season while schumi still driving. world champion gets number one and scumi would get a number-two :D :D :D

that'd be fun to see. and in my opinion the two fastest drivers in a proper order.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Let's see... imagine a little... kimi wins 2005 championship and moves to ferrari for 2006 season while schumi still driving. world champion gets number one and scumi would get a number-two. Then Schu hands him his arse and beats the 'reigning world champion' and gets his customary No: 1 sticker back on his car! heheheh :D

Sadly though, he ain't gonna win it in '05 because of Mercedes. That's why he'll want to leave McLaren. ;) why leave a championship winning team? :eek: :p

I look forward to the day he does join Ferrari... because I expect we'll see a lot of Ferrari haters change their tune. heheheh

17. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

sadly, you might be correct on this. i'm still hoping for it, though. kimi only needs one technical failure for alonso (still none this season) and few second places for montoya together with victories in hockenheim and hungaroring - that should cut the gap to 12 points. that's a possibility, i think.

you might want to ask that from four previous williams champions :) villeneuve, hill, prost, mansell... they all left williams after winning the title. sometimes you just switch, there's not always solid reason for it; however, i think kimi likes it with mclaren so he will just wait until they get their act together, just as hakkinen did too.

(it was so frustrating to follow 1993 season seeing how andretti made a clown of himself and thinking how well mika would have performed. after andretti left and mika got to drive, he beat senna in the first qualifying! after that came four disastrous seasons for mclaren and i can only imagine how much guts it took to stick with the team back then. and i can only imagine how frustrating it might have been for hakkinen as he was about to join williams in 1993 when they dominated. had it meant to be, i'm sure schumi couldn't possibly won the 1994-1995 titles and without those i believe there would not been any golden era with ferrari, as the key persons might not have followed a non-champion. well, lots of ifs and maybes here...)

i don't. i look forward to the day he wins the title and don't care about what team provides the tools. also, i look forward to the day schumi retires - he is not 100% there anymore, he lost heart after mika left the sport. today the battle goes between kimi and alonso. maybe montoya too, but he will have to be in different team to be able to really challenge those guys.

18. iGav macrumors G3

I hope he wins it... I've got money on him. ;)

I wouldn't want to see him winning it by Alonso (or any other driver) retiring from races though... I know Kimi's been shafted by Mercedes this season, but he's good enough to cane Alonso in a straight fight, and that's what I want to see.

There's no other words to describe Kimi's performances in France and Britain as nothing less than f**kin' astounding! And that's why he'll go to Ferrari. :D

Aha, but that was more down to stuff like...

• greed and not doing a particularly good job in by far and away the best car (Villeneuve)
    • greed and not doing a particularly good job in by far and away the best car (Hill)
    • greed and not wanting to take on Prost in the same team again (Mansell)
    • not wanting to take on Senna in the same team again (Prost).

He'll win it without doubt... probably 3 or 4 times and hopefully at Ferrari. :D

It's a shame you look forward to the day that Schu retires, I think in an era of pay-per-drivers, F1 needs all the talent it can get.

I don't subscribe to the idea that Schu's lost anything... he's driving as well as ever, he's just having to push harder in a crap package. Monaco this season demonstrated that ;)

The only driver out there who'd push him in the same car is Kimi, period. Alonso, Montoya and any other would be handily dismantled... Alonso was thrashed by Chicane Trulli, and Montoya didn't exactly turn Ralf into his whipping boy.

With Rubens saying that his staying at Ferrari is about 50/50... give the Finn a contract I say... :D I just hope that Ferrari do not end up with Button. :eek: :p

19. iGav macrumors G3

just out of interest... haven't you ever seen that before? :eek:

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I for one haven't ever seen that. I'm pretty new to this whole F1 thing. Thanks for the link Don't panic. I wish modern races were as well fought as that. :(

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you're welcome ;)

22. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

your wish may come true, if the regulations do change to limit maximum downforce. currently it is far too hard to drive behind another car, and that for sure will and has to change.

former finnish champion keke rosberg said that fia should just ban carbon brakes. the reasoning being that if the cars would stop slower, the drivers would have to begin braking earlier, and if it takes longer to brake, there will be more variation in where to begin braking.

23. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

shucmi has seen his better days already. i enjoyed the battle between him and hakkinen, but after mika retired, schu has lost his heart, too. of course he likes to win, but there's no satisfaction if there's no competition. i think in 2004 he spent more time playing football than driving his ferrari. but that may be just my opinion.