Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Not a bad deal if you can transplant your G3 into it.

Though it might not be a bad idea to start saving up for a mini.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
If you already have the extra parts and that's all it needs, it's actually a pretty good deal. Used Macs are expensive, even 350Mhz ones.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Thanks! I thought it was a good deal, but lowendmac called it a road apple xx. I plan on getting a mini soon, when I do, this is gonna become a media server. I plan on hooking it up to my TV for DVD movies/Divx/MP3s and such. And speaking, I wont need the Rage 128 cards anymore, I can make like 60-80 out of both of them ;)

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I love the blueberry color, so also, with this, I may get new panels for my G3, and pull off the graphite, replace them with the blueberry, replace the G4s apples with the blue ones (very easy to remove), then sit there and strip the paint inside of the side panels, to where its clear, then paint it all translucent blue, get some LEDs wired in, and there ya go :cool: The Glowing Blue and Clear G4. Now tell me how sweet that sounds. I chose the Yikes as it was G4, but was basicilly also a Blue and White G3. I do all my gaming on the PC, so I dont need the AGP slot.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Reanimation_LP said:
I love the blueberry color, so also, with this, I may get new panels for my G3, and pull off the graphite, replace them with the blueberry, replace the G4s apples with the blue ones (very easy to remove), then sit there and strip the paint inside of the side panels, to where its clear, then paint it all translucent blue, get some LEDs wired in, and there ya go :cool: The Glowing Blue and Clear G4. Now tell me how sweet that sounds. I chose the Yikes as it was G4, but was basicilly also a Blue and White G3. I do all my gaming on the PC, so I dont need the AGP slot.

I also like the blueberry colour and almost purchased a G3 at the Seattle Apple store. Wish I did. Anyway, good luck with the project and post pics when you have it finished.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Once I get the project done I will get pics up for everyone to see :) Thanks for your feedback guys. I wonder how high I can overclock it :D

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Haha! ^-^ It landed yesterday, took Fedex less than 16 hours to get it from NC to my door (Maryland), the CUDA chip was the problem, it was broken, so I pulled out the board, slapped in my G3 board, installed the firmware patch, installed the G4, overclocked it to 400, and its running BEAUTIFULLY! I am so happy with this deal, and heres the real icing on the cake! It came with the BLACK Apple Pro Keyboard, and it looks like it just came out of the box, same with the computer, computer has about 4 scratches in total, and a tiny crack on where the side panels screws (That seems to happen due to how much pressure they put on the panels screwing them in x.x) Its running beautifully. I'm using it as a media center in my bedroom. Specs are :

400 MHz G4
8 and 6 GB Hard Disks
640 MB RAM
ATi Rage 128 Orion (Soon to be Radeon 7000 when it finally shows up)
Gateway OEM 16x DVD-ROM Drive (Apple sees it as a Panasonic, Apple Supported, boots and everything)
Zip 100
Apple Pro Keyboard, Logitech Mouse (Soon to be Apple Pro Mouse)
IBM 19" Trinitron Monitor (Paid 20 for it, brand new :D )

Eventually, im gonna buy LEDs, and make it glow :cool:

I'd like to thank everyone here for their feedback. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.