Did it fry? 180c

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Jessica Lares, Aug 2, 2010.

1. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I got a new power adapter, gave it a new battery, reset the power management, but it doesn't turn on. It gets hot though... Do I consider it fried?

2. macrumors G3

dmr727

Not necessarily. Are you sure the power adapter you purchased works with the 180c? Even though the plug fits and they look physically identical, the power adapters for the black and white Powerbook 1xx series didn't have enough oomph to power the color models. Looking at the specs, the 180c needs a 24W adapter. Check the back of your adapter - is that what you have?

3. thread starter macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

4. macrumors G3

dmr727

Damn - I was hoping that'd be the problem. What if you try booting without the battery installed?

5. thread starter macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

6. macrumors G3

dmr727

Hmmm...sorry - I'm all out of ideas beyond pulling it apart and removing the memory module and HDD. :(

7. thread starter macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I'll pull it apart tomorrow and take pictures. It had been in the garage for awhile, but was working when I last tested it afterwards. The battery however had bloated up and came apart. Doesn't seem to have done any damage in the slot, but could be somewhere else. All I know is that it gets hot in the back and it smells a bit like plastic (but my iPhone smells like that too, go figure :p.).

8. thread starter macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I'm bringing this up again because the machine just came to mind again. It's just sitting in the floor all lonely with the other old Macs I have sitting unplugged.

The thing doesn't power up at all. I plugged in an adapter, and nothing.

Forgetting about the hard drive, RAM, etc, what would be the minimal components I'd need to replace just to get it to come on since there's no power going to the machine itself?

Basically, you can start a machine even though it doesn't have a hard drive, keyboard, mouse, display, etc and it'll just go to a blank screen or make a noise. I want to at least get the machine to that state and take it from there.

9. MacTech68, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Firstly, be careful when taking the machine apart. When you spread the two halves of the bottom case, don't lift it to far. From the rear use a plastic tool to unplug the grey cable (Interconnect Cable) from the Daughter-Card. Lift each end of the black connector where it "overhangs" at each side of the flat cable. This cable is very delicate as each wire is single stranded and can break easily (inside the grey plastic covering the cable).

Also, be extremely careful with the case plastics ESPECIALLY the display housing. There are small brass machined nuts molded into the plastics and these often break leaving you with a virtually unusable machine. If they are intact, there will usually be hairline cracks in the plastic surrounding the brass nut inserts. I used to apply Araldite around these, taking care to observe clearance for other components and ensuring not to get glue into the threads - a disaster if you do. Less is more when doing these. The same applies to the screws that secure the motherboard to the bottom case and the floppy & hard drive frame mountings too. :eek:

Minimum would be, Motherboard, Daughter Card & Cousin Card which plugs into the Daughter Card, IIRC. You'll need headphones plugged into the motherboard to hear it power up since the speaker is in the top case and is one of the things connected via the grey cable I mentioned above.

The circuit board that the grey cable connects to in the top case also houses a rechargeable battery, which may require replacement. It's a 3v 30mAh rechargeable Lithium battery. Hard to get in such a thin form-factor.

Check that the voltage of your AC Adapter is 7.7 volts when not plugged into the PowerBook and also when it IS plugged into the PowerBook.

There is also a fuse soldered to the motherboard next to the battery contacts. It's a white rectangular box marked as "F1" next to it. It is a LittelFuse 5Amp 0459 Fast Blow series fuse.

If you smell anything burning, unplug the power and quickly see if any component is particularly hot.

A useful resource would be found by Googling : "powerbook_165c.180c.pdf"