Did Microsoft accidently revive the arcade?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Many companies have used the term "arcade" to describe a multi-game service and "Xbox Live Arcade" is no different.

However it appears as though Microsoft may have succeeded in reviving the "arcade" craze that spawned the video game industry decades ago - all with out really trying.

When XBLA was lauched it was simple a sideline priority to the company, another bullet on a feature/service list. Yet consumer interest seemed to explode to the surprise of many developers and publishers - including Microsoft themselves.

Focus on XBLA has been growing rapidly with many new games headed it's way. Some Development studios are reportedly deciding to put their main (or excluse) focus on the 'XBLA Platform'. Gamers are embracing it and the classic focus on scores and achievements has a strong resemblence to the classic arcades of history.

Has Microsoft unintentionally revived the "arcade", but now instead of having multiple physical arcade rooms, there is one massive, networked, virtual arcade room where players can engage in classic (old and new) arcade style games to compete for scores and achievements from their couch?

Demand for true games, set apart from realistic graphics, physics, and movie-like presentation, seems to be higher then most in the industry even realized and now developers with desire to make those type of games now have an avenue in which to reach millions of gamers, all in common space now familiar to the consumer.

Other companies intend to replicate it's success I'm sure, namely Nintendo with their Virtual Console and PS3 with some sort of arcade as well. These may or may not be as successful as XBLA, but one thing seems evident - the arcade is back, with old and new gameplay-centric games alike.

2. Queso macrumors G4

That reads like a press release. Is it a copy and paste job or your own words? If it's the former, can we have the link?

3. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Xbox Live Arcade IS a cool idea and it's something that I just started getting into (due to the draught of 360 games recently). I, for one, and excited about the concept and especially about Street Fighter 2!

4. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I wrote it just then, and will probably post it as an article on my site sometime... but it's not copy/paste job.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd likely buy a 360 just for the Live Arcade, it's just the cost of these games where PC/Mac Flash alternatives are free.

I don't think the 360 has revived Arcade. Arcade was revived a few years ago when Flash games really took off online. Little games where the only goal is the get the highscore. These are free and anyone can make them, this is where the trump card against the Live Arcade comes into play. Plus the portability of being able to play these on effectively any PC, Mac, Pocket PC/online device comes into play. Dinner time at college would have literally gangs of players trying to get the highest score of this very simply helicopter game.

Another mad moment was when they all embarked upon my laptop playing the Amiga games I ripped. I had never seen so many people playing Bills Tomato Game before, so excited about it.

6. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

While Flash games have been popular and Flash itself has aided in bringing a lot of new games to the internet it has largely been without community or the lure of classic arcades, imo.

The competitive nature of an arcade is important, imo. As well as having mainstream support from experience developers as a primary focus. There have been companies that dealt almost exclusively in Flash content, but not on the level of what seems to be occurring with XBLA. We are talking commercial level software designed with the 'arcade experience' built in thanks to Live. It's set to be very popular for any developer involved, and that is something that is difficult in the Flash arena (being profitable).

7. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I recently got Geometry Wars Evolved and I must say, just being able to be ranked on XBLA is pretty fun in itself. Even if people hate microsoft, they have to admit, their interface for Xbox Live is pretty awesome what with achievements, gamercards, rankings etc.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm i don't know... arcades never were big around here ... believe it or not you are hard pressed to find a single arcade machine younger than 5-7 years... (most are still those like 10 year old sega really machines with 4 seats etc.)
    i wouldn't put any money on any nostalgia alone .. that might work for US,UK and japan with their arcade history but in countries where the c64 dominated it's a complete different matter...

i don't know if anybody might revive "the arcade" .. i'm simply too used to objective based games that i can enjoy fighting for a better score or better ranking

and after all i don't have problems playing a game so that somebody else wins too ... especially when playing with less "gamer" friends

and for true pro gaming xbox live is still not nearly good enough.. and i don't think that should be the goal of a console gaming network

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would love to see arcades make a comeback. Dedicated PPUs, etc.
    Unfortunately, with the consistent rise in graphics and physics quality for PC games, and the leaps (usually) in performance every 5-6 years for consoles, arcade cabinets don't have that as an edge anymore.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've just had a little idea. An arcade system, countless spread all across the world. Ran by MS? You insert a card that contains subscription details and you play on.

Anywho. I agree with Takao though. Arcades were never big here, everyone else was playing C64/Amiga here. Much cheaper, very easy to copy games etc. I don't agree with the whole goal of Xbox Live to compete in all areas, it's like I don't play Metroid Hunters with hard bots so other players can't see my bad stats. I'd rather some things stay private with no option to broadcast them. Maybe it's just me.