Did monolingual delete my architectures?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umdjb, Feb 15, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

I was using monolingual to delete some extra languages on my computer and never looked at the Architectures tab until after removing the languages. Is it possible that the architectures were removed too if some of them were checked or did I have to be on that tab for them to have been removed.

I guess what Im asking is: does Monolingual only remove files based on what tab is selected or all checked files regardless of what tab is selected?

Im using a Core 2 Duo MBP and MS OFfice still works and I think seems to be operating ok...

Do I need to reinstall the OS?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We had some debate about this a few weeks ago. From looking at their release notes, I thought they had fixed this problem and you should be fine as long as you're using the latest version. Old versions would completely bork Rosetta if you didn't uncheck the PPC stuff in the Architectures pane. But other people with hands-on experience said that the problem still persisted. So I'd be curious to hear more from someone who's just run Monolingual. :D

The fact that Office is running is a good sign. What do you see if you open up Monolingual and look at the Architectures pane now?

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

4. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

All of MS Office and the game Starcraft work fine.

Is there anyway to verify if they are truly gone?

5. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

also, how do I make sure that my OS is usable if I accidentally uninstalled the subsets of English?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If Office is running, you should be fine. You can open Activity Monitor and in the list of processes, make sure the "Kind" column is visible. Office-related stuff should be labeled as PowerPC processes. (I know that doesn't mean much, because of course it's PowerPC.)

Can you check the Architectures pane of Monolingual now and report back on what it looks like?

7. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

When I re-open Monolingual and look at the architectures Pane they are all checked but still there.

Why does this matter?

If Office and Starcraft both work which I know run under Rosetta does that mean I am in the clear or can something happen later on?

8. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Sounds like you are in the clear.

They are also checked when i look in the latest version of monolingual - but maybe it does not remove them unless you run the program under that tab (??). They need to make the default as none checked, or better release a language-only version of the program.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...I was actually hoping that they wouldn't be checked. I assumed that when Monolingual starts up, it determines what system you have and then puts checks by the architectures it thinks it can safely delete. I wouldn't think it would actually need to determine which architectures are on your system...it would just delete whatever things it comes across when the program is actually run. So it worries me that it's by default checking that it wants to delete your PPC architectures, as presumably it would have said the same thing just prior to you running the app and then carried out those instructions.

Running the program does carry out the instructions on all of the panes, so my assumption would be that Rosetta should be gone from your system.

But since Rosetta apps are running fine on your system, that's apparently not the case. I give up. :confused: :eek:

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

One of the developers on Sourceforge wrote this in answer to someone who had deleted their Rosetta architectures:

"To avoid this problem, before you ask Monolingual to clean architecture
    for the first time, you need to go into the preferences and add
    /System/Library/Frameworks and then UNCHECK to box next to it. Even though there is also a [x] /System in the list, the [ ] /System/Library/Frameworks will override that setting and prevent Monolingual from cleaning under /System/Library/Frameworks (where the Rosetta frameworks) stuff lives on an Intel Mac."

Why don't they just add this as a standard preference then? Thus, the program would remove the ppc architectures from apps that don't need them on an Intel machine, leaving the Rosetta frameworks intact to run apps that do need emulation.

11. umdjb thread starter macrumors regular

Please help me?!?

How do I know if I have deleted Rosetta from my computer using Monolingual?

12. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

First of all, I can help by saying to make more descriptive thread titles so people know what's going on at a glance without clicking your thread. Second, right (or ctrl)-click Safari in the Applications folder and click "Get Info", check the box "Open using Rosetta", and then try and open Safari as you normally would.

13. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I didn't even know you could delete Rosetta... Heck, I'm not sure how to use Rosetta, since it is just always running in the backup I never noticed if it was running for not running...

The Stig

14. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

I got a big problem here. I used Monolingual to delete all the languages except english and german. My problem is that I also deleted all Architectures except Intel and Intel 64-bit. My Microsoft Office and Firefox (using Rosetta) is still working. But I cannot built and run any programs. I just started learning Objective-C and I cannot compile the programs.

15. frank62 macrumors newbie

not worth the couple of mbs

i used monolingual once and never again shall i use it. I needed to reinstall Mac OS X Leopard all over again! and that really stinks!

16. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

Does anybody have an idea how I can get these frameworks back without reinstalling the whole system?