Did "Mr. Macintosh" ever Exist?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pipian, May 30, 2003.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I would love to know where does "macintosh" name come from too.. but I dont think that it was a man had the name "Mr. Macintosh"

3. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Macintosh is a variety of apples.

4. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

5. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

what do you mean by "variety of apples"??

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

8. Pipian thread starter macrumors regular

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its a type of apple, which is the name of the company, which came from steve working on an orchard (i believe) the bite in the apple is actually the apple falling on newtons head, this is where the newton pda came from, and then Darwin. Something about steve, apples, and the figures who proved theorys into laws all tie together. now about this mr macintosh thing i odnt know about, i skimmed throgh the article and didnt make much sense of it, guess ill have to read it again.

iJon

10. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

its really intresting to see that McIntosh is a type of apple..

thanx for the info...

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is pretty funny. No one followed the orginal link it seems... there was a feature with an animation that came up on classic Macs according to this article. I imagine it's not true because we'd have heard about it by now. Look at the fame afforded to Clarus.

12. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Not the same but...

Charles Rennie Mackintosh - Glasgow School of Art
    :)

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if it's the macintosh guy i'm thinking of, he evolved into Bill, he's based on bill hernandez i think...

my favorite apple history book has a lot of this info, it's called "The Little Kingdom: The Private Story of Apple Computer" by michael morris. It was written in the late '80s or early '90's, but it's the best comprehensive early-years that i've seen...

i think i remember hearing that the bite taken out of the Apple logo is meant to reflect the consumer, something like that. They hired people to design it, it was well after they were making money... i've seen sketches of other logos, trust me they took the good one :D

pnw

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Dude, you need to drink less cold medicine... ;)

Apple was the company - they had a new product - they named it after an actual apple. OK, so far so good. The bite in the apple has nothing to do with Newton, but rather a reference to western beliefs of eating from the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge.
    Newton and apples seems an obvious connection, but Darwin is not a reference to apples but rather evolution...

Anyway, the funny part is, the original post had nothing to do with how Apple came up with the name Macintosh, but rather an easter egg hidden inside the ROMs of older machines, called Mr. Macintosh.

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thanks for correcting me, this is just what ive heard over the years, its interesting ti know what really happened. i know what hte original post was, its just someone above was more interested in how it gots name, so i got off track an answered it for him.

iJon