Did my B&W G3 Mac screw up my GS790 ViewSonic monitor ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Drift3r, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Drift3r macrumors newbie

Ever since I used my GS790 ViewSonic monitor with my G3 B&W mac I can't get Fedora Linux or RedHat to pick it up during the install process so I can re-install. In fact when I do boot into my Fedora system my screen just blanks out. Of course when I switch over to Windows 2000 via my KVM switch everything is back to normal. Anyone ecounter this problem before ? Could it be that my G3 fried out the pnp firmware in the monitor ? Funny thing is that this happens on both PC's that I try to install Fedora or RedHat using this same monitor. Prior to me fooling around with this G3 Mac everything ran okay and my monitor was detected with no problems.

2. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I can't think of anything a computer can do to a monitor, so other computers wouldn't work with it... Probably the monitor itself, or more likely linux

3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

guess u've never set the hsync/vsync wrong on a monitor in xwindows ave yah? :)

I've had some good pops with forcing a monitor to do the extremes, of course non-digital ones that dont pop up with out of sync messages.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

That's one aspect of Linux that is a real pain. You'll have to boot into console mode and edit your X86.conf file with vi. You may have to look around to find it.

5. Drift3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed today that when I boot up the PC with Fedora on it and I am switched over to the W2K PC the monitor works. Yet when I switch back to my Fedora box and I log out of Gnome or restart X I get 'DPMS mode OFF' on the monitor and it blanks out. Also when do get an image it looks almost shakey somewhat but not extremely. Like I said in my first post this monitor was detected and installed fine with Fedora Linux before I messed with this G3 box but now Fedora and Redhat's installer ( they use the same one ) do not detect it at all. Any ideas or help as to what is wrong with this monitor would be appreciated. Thanks.