Did Nintendo blow it???

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, May 20, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Well, e3 is almost over and I for one am extremely dissapointed in Big N's showing. The DS titles look great, but my gamecube broke and I'm not buying another one. I can wait for the new zelda on revolution.

Sony and M$ gave us what we wanted. Specs, screens, videos (even rendered), developers, titles, a time frame.

Nintendo, on the other hand, gave us a speech about how hardware is unimportant, and it's software that sells systems. Then they don't show any software!!! What the hell?

I saw Reggie's interview yesterday, and he said they are afraid that Sony and M$ will steal their idea if they tell us what the revolution is. BS. What's to stop them from strealing it one year from now? The PS3 won't be out for another year and half. If the idea is SO revolutionary, how can Sony and M$ steal it after they have both debuted their respective consoles.

Nintendo had all the hype, attention, and momentum going into e3. And they turned it into... resent. Check the boards accross the net. People are pissed. Way to blow all your goodwill Nintendo. I am less likely to buy a Revolution today than I was a week ago. Not exactly an effective e3 for Big N.

Thoughts???

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

since when is it a law to show the specs of your next system at E3???????

I think they did a fabolous job at E3, i wouldn't want to give away my smoking gun either. I think people are just too used to being baby fed all the time. I like the suspense that Nintendo has given me, makes me want the system all the more.

3. manicdvln macrumors member

Sony stole the analog stick and quickly made an updated PS1 version of its gamepad after N64 was unveiled to have one. PS2 and XBOX both have rumble packs after N64 was unveiled to have one.

Nintendo leads the industry, the rest just copy.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i dont see it as a problem, although im only lightly following events right now. i see it as them creating interest and suspense about their product that makes you want to know more, they just have to deliever something spectacular otherwise it will be a letdown

5. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I totally agree, MS and Sony are experts at ripping nintendo off. However, I fail to see how showing us a screen shot is going to 'let the cat out of the bag'.

I would have loved to have seen the revolutionary feature, but I can understand why Nintendo is hesitant to show it off. Still though, Nintendo could have shown us everything the Rev. does that's merely competitive.

If big N's strategy is to own e3 next year, they're screwed. We will be playing 2nd or 3rd gen X360 games by then, and Sony will have tons of playable demos next year. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see Nintendo own this console war. But, I'm less and less sure that they will make home consoles 10 years from now :(

6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I agree, what Nintendo is doing (and doing very well) is basic PR. They're building up the hype like you wouldn't believe.

Look at us! All us geeks and techies are typing up a storm about how "mad" we all are that Nintendo didn't release specifics on their console, and Nintendo is benefiting from all this free PR. I think that secretly, each of us wants to know what the Revolution will be, exactly, and that if it's cool enough, a lot of people are going to buy one. Go Nintendo, I say. I'll be buying a Xbox 360 the day it comes out, and Nintendo Revolution the day it comes out. Thank God they're not comingt out close to each other.

Perfect Dark Zero.....oh my Lord. That looks so, so cool.

Seth

7. manicdvln macrumors member

Just today Iwata had an interview with Reuters, they mentioned that everything of revolution will be revealed end of THIS YEAR.

Which is good news to all nintendo fans who dreaded that revolution will be unveiled at next E3. This also means that nintendo is pushing for an early 2006 launch of Revolution which is GOOD NEWS!

8. slb macrumors 6502

I think they blew it. Even without revealing specs or details, they could have gotten people more interested in Revolution. All their cryptic statements are hollow.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its gonna be another year so people will have a lot of time to get interested, Its not like the PS3 or 360 is coming out next week.

10. mac-er macrumors 65816

Sure, they do.

That is why they took an overwhelming lead in the console industry (NES) and ran it into the ground.

The Gamecube was a flop, really. Though, it was heavily popular with kids...since that is what Nintendo specializes in with consoles these days (There was serious talk by several major retailers to stop carrying it all together).

11. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Don't they patent these new ideas? I mean why are they so worried about another company copying them when they've got the patent laws behind them? :confused:

12. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Might I see some proof? I think that major retailers would not want to stop carrrying Nintendo products; they still sell well.

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes they patten the ideas, but does sony care about that, hell no, they still go and steal it, then get sued ;)

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Nintendo is a lot like Apple in that they both have diehard fans who will buy no matter what they make, That is what will keep Nintendo around.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i seem to find myself saying this a lot at the moment... but the Rev isnt due for launch for over a year, so why are people thinking "ZOMG! N1NTENDO SUXXORS!1" just because they havnt given out anything detailed about the rev yet? especially when, like what Shigsy said, the competition will just copy. and they will do, PS and M$ fanboys will probably shout at me but they do just copy.

i think its totally fair of them to keep things secret. builds more excitement. i was happier not knowing the Xbox 360 looked like a childs safety pillow (just invented) and the PS3's "Design will change" look to it. i like surprises and the Rev is going to be greatest console surprise yet.

good day :)

16. slb macrumors 6502

The reason is because the hype of the X-Box 360 and Playstation 3 will make gamers save up to buy them, and developers to make games for them. It makes it feel like Nintendo has nothing to offer but promises and vaporware.

17. Jeromie macrumors member

While I'd love to hear more from Nintendo about what the Revolution is going to be, with the launch over a year away it may be in their best interest to hold off for now. They want the peak of the frenzy to hit at the same time their consoles are getting to store shelves, and they don't want the competition to have time to counter their ideas before the launch date. That said, I imagine there will be more information about the Revolution around the Xbox 360 launch to steal some steam.

Then again, Nintendo seems to think they're competing in a totally different market. Perhaps they will just ignore the competition. That would not be wise.

18. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

With Nintendo showing nothing it's only going to leave Sony and MS on the majority of gamers' minds. Both companies will get more attention than Nintendo, and that will kind of build momentum for the two while Nintendo is sitting in the background.

I have nothing against them trying to keep something secret. What I am worried about is, are we going to see a repeat of N64 and Gamecube, where they come in last place in this next gen battle?

What if the concept they're keeping a secret isn't that big of hit? What if gamers are like "yeah, that's cool but who cares anyway?" I mean, will it be too late for them to change their strategy? At least MS and Sony are testing the waters right now, and even MS's Ballmer noted that the Xbox 360's design is not final.

I mean there's good and bad about what Nintendo is doing right now. They were very secretive of the N64. What did it gain them at the time?

19. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Just a little thing; Rendered videos are bad, not-rendered (real-time gameplay) videos are good.

Apart from that, yeah, Nintendo seems a little cocky believing they're catering to a totally different market. And maybe they should have shown a few more gameplay screenshots.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people in here need to take a rest from their US-eyes. Nintendo are BIG in places like Japan, and that's a BIG market aswell. I don't think they'll be the winner in the next of the console wars either, but maybe a number 2, instead of the shared number 2 they had with Microsoft this time? (the two sold approx. the same amount of consoles, though Nintendo made the most money of all three.)

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The only problem with the N64 is that it used a cartridge, Nintendo later said that was a mistake but at the time they wanted games to load faster than the PS1, N64 was a great system maybe the greatest that Nintendo ever made. The games were revolutionary as Mario 64 changed the way games were made and played.

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The problem with Nintendo is that the gaming culture in Japan is much different from the gaming culture in the United States and surrounding countries. Nintendogs anyone?

I also don't think Iwata "gets" the purpose of E3. E3 is the expo to launch new systems and games. Sony and Microsoft seem to understand that. Nintendo fails to understand. If they continue to refuse to fully participate, Nintendo should pull out of E3 all together and focus on their Nintendo Spaceworld conference.

It's true that Nintendo is receiving huge amounts of press. However, it is NEGATIVE press. Iwata stood on stage at last year's E3 and said that Nintendo messed up the Gamecube launch. He also said that Nintendo will not let [Sony] do that to them again. It's a year later, and it appears Nintendo is going down the same path.

It's true that Nintendo drives the innovation in the gaming industry. But, they deliver at a slower pace than Sony and Microsoft.

I'm more concerned about DS than the Revolution. The DS has been out for months, and still lacks a decent collection of first party titles. When are we going to get our hands on these new "innovative" titles that we've been promised such as Mario and Luigi 2, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Kirby and Legend of Zelda DS?

We have been seeing Animal Crossing DS screenshots since before the DS was announced. Where is the game? Nintendo now says it will ship in November in North America. It's been over a year, SHIP something.

Nintendo also announced that the DS will be able to take advantage of wireless networks to download items and play online with other players. Where is it? It's been months, and still no direct timeline for launch of the wireless service.

Also, where's the adaptor that allows DS owners to play videos and music on their systems?

Nintendo is the king of first-party titles on their systems. Super Mario 64 and WarioWare Touched are the only first-party titles worth purchasing. Does Nintendo really expect DS owners to just keep on waiting? Yoshi Touch & Go and Pokemon Dash are sorry excuses for launch titles.

On another note, What happened to Mario 128? Miyamoto said on G4 that he felt like he has done the public a diservice. That Mario 128 is not necessarily a game, but just a concept.

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think Nintendo's strategy is to deliberately be quiet at E3, saving the big unveiling for their own event later. This way they get more coverage and are less likely to have their ideas ripped out from underneath them. This strategy is pretty similar to what Apple does, in fact.

23. Jadeite312 macrumors newbie

Im kinda torn on what to think about them. The xbox is coming out this winter, the ps3 is supose to come out spring 2006, nintendo no idea when there coming out. Yes they should keep somethings under wraps that way the other companies cant steal there ideas but at the same time tease us enought to have interest in there new machine. Im guessing they feel that this year will be all about Zelda, and they fear that by talking about the next system they will lose potential customer in console sales and game sales. I remember reading that the nes sold the most the year the snes came out, so hey maybe nintendo know what there doing trying focus on sales today instead of on future products, who knows.

24. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Yeah but Sony and MS are not worried about cannabilizing current system sales. In fact, with the backwards compatability being addressed, that will keep the stream of current generation games live and active. I'm in the market for a new system and knowing that the newest generation is roughly 6 months away, I have no interest in buying any of the current generation systems. It's not like a Powerbook update, where someone needs a new Powerbook right away because they can't wait. With games, hey, you can wait....or at least some of us can, right? :p

25. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

The N64 was probably the best gaming system ever made --- the games on that system, whether it be Mario 64, Mario Kart, StarFox 64, Int Superstar Soccer, and Diddy Kong Racing, most DEFINITELY changed the way we play games

however, a big reason why is because of RARE

Nintendo has gone DOWNHILL ever since Rare has left for Microsoft, and for some reason, Nintendo's own developers really haven't stepped up to the plate

I thought the GameCube was really pathetic - the N64 has better graphics and better gamplay

Hopefully, Nintendo will get those good software titles out, and maybe try and hire away former developers of RARE