Did Panther eat my iMac 333?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by joelmason, Mar 2, 2004.

1. joelmason macrumors newbie

I have read that it is important to do a firmware update before installing Panther on an iMac 333. Unfortunately I tried to install Panther and later realized that the firmware was not updated. I do not have my restore/install discs. I have a copy of 8.5 but only get a white screen. I have been able to boot into DiscWarrior (10.3) and DiskTools (again 10.3) from the CD's. Is there anyway to resurrect my iMac, update the firmware, and then install Panter? Or shall I use it to prop open doors?

peace

Joel+

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Can you boot to the Mac OS X CD? If so can you wipe out the hard drive and then try it? Also, do you have another Mac you can put your hard drive in, or someone who has an external FireWire case you can put it in? The hard drive is actually quite easy to get out. Its just under the CDROM Drive.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

One thing to try would be to reset the PRAM (command-option-p-r, let it chime three times), then immediately try booting from a pre-osx disk. If that works, you're set--wipe, install, firmware update, try OSX again. Other things to try would be holding down the "c" key with a classic disk in the drive (8.5 was capable of booting 333 iMacs, wasn't it? If not, that'll never work), or what mklos suggested--wipe the drive with a utility cd, then try the 8.5 disk.

Not exactly; I just pulled the drive out of a 333 iMac last week, and although there's nothing magical once you get to it, those things are a bear to get into--you basically have to remove everything else to get to the hard drive. You're pretty much guaranteed to scrape your knuckles on something in the process, and it'll take a few minutes.