Did price for memory just go up significantly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stuuke, May 6, 2004.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

I swear when I looked at crucial last week 1gb ram for powerbooks was around $400. I looked today and it was a whopping $600 which is almost 5x the cost of a 512. What the hell?

2. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

owcomputing.com has 1gb for $359. I know other places have raised there prices significantly higher but should I jump all over that price?

3. JonGraves macrumors member

Wow, that Crucial price really jumped. I got an OWC 1 GB DDR for my new 12" PB on tuesday ($359). I went with OWC even though Crucial was slightly cheaper at the time because I have had good service from them before and I like the idea of using Samsung DIMMs like Apple OEM. OWC prices are usually pretty competitive (within 5-10% of the cheapest). I would suggest going for it - you will not find a much better deal in the present climate.

Jon

4. furrina macrumors regular

5. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Is $359 cheap for a gb or should I wait for it to come back down? Any idea as to how long these trends last?

6. JonGraves macrumors member

The low profile 1 GB PC2700 DDR/333 MHz modules have not been around for very long. When they first became available they were pretty expensive but their price has come down over the last few months. IMHO we are at the inflection point for RAM prices - they are just starting to rise.

I think $359 is a good price.

www.ramseek.com has a price trend graph that is useful.

Jon