Did Steve Jobs break the law during the keynote?

Discussion in 'Event Archives' started by pthurst, Jan 9, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm sure all the 'eagle eyed' amongst us have seen the FCC disclaimer on the bottom of the apple iPhone page but I wonder if the unit has FCC clearance to be used? (Steve 'appeared' to demo the unit as part of his Keynote address)

Just a thought...

More info and pics at www.paulhurst.blogspot.com

Ps... doesn't it look GREAT!!!

2. macrumors 6502

Metatron

Of course not. How else do you test a new cell phone? Plus, you know the FCC guys are all drooling over thiers right now which is why it is going to take so long to get approval.

3. macrumors 6502

stevento

no i think what the disclaimer means is that they cant sell it or try to sell it until the FCC clears it.
    but its good for apple becuase its out but people still have to wait in greuling anticipation while the FCC clears it.

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

5. macrumors 6502a

Cybix

i was thinking the exact same thing just earlier... *ponder*

6. macrumors 68030

skubish

nope you are allowed to test prototypes, just not offer them for sale without FCC approval. Also your self promoting link doesn't work. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I thought he broke the Apple keynote law #1:
    "One more thing..."

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

I included pics from the site on the link... Oh and what's so bad about a blogger including a link in the post or a sig???

Get a life :) .. And don't click the link if you don't want :D

9. macrumors 68030

skubish

Nothing's wrong with it except it doesn't work probably. Unless you want it to go to a blogspot.info general page instead of a page with pics.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha!!!! How rubbish am I... It should have ended .com

Anyway I wonder if anyone else picked up of the FCC thing? I presume they have clearance to use them... Just not to sell or loan them?

11. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

was his prank call illegal? I would love to see jobs get slapped with a fine..."*SLAP* thats for no new iPod stevie"

12. macrumors 68020

brad.c

Agreed. Or at least a bill for 4000 lattés.

13. macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I doubt it was a real prank, I'm sure they called the Starbuck's beforehand. Although, who knows with Steve & Steve's past prank history and his devil-may-care attitude shown in his refusal to say "and one more thing..."

14. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

As an employee of a phone manufacturer, I just wanted to vouch for that - you can use the devices for testing; you just can't sell them. Absolutely correct.

15. macrumors regular

I honestly do not think that much of what we saw today was the <i>real</i> iPhone. I am led to believe that everything from the phone calls to the satellite maps was all carefully planned, downloaded, packaged, and arranged as to prevent something from going on. I don't think that one of the calls made in that room today was legit. As such, they did not break the law regarding FCC. Nor is it false advertising, for the product millions of people end up buying will do everything Steve showed today, yet in a much less "science-lab" sense.

Also, the FCC could argue that what Steve did today was not really a test. Once your product is done being tested it has to receive FCC clearance. Or else anybody could go out and make walkie talkies or their own cell phone or other wireless devices.

16. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

People: cell phone manufacturers can test their phones. In public. They can show them to other people, make calls, etc.

They just can't sell them.

Nothing illegal about anything we saw today. Period.

17. macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Yeah, they even used the reverb and echo effects on the people talking in their phones just to make the phone calls sound more believable (You know, their phones picking up Steve talking, and Steve's phone picking up their talking). And did you notice how Phil Shiller's phone was so staticy? I bet they did that to show how ancient and outdated his phone is in comparison to the new iPhone, while in reality his phone would've sounded crystal clear. They really put some hard work into faking the phone calls and making them believable. Good thing we see through it!

18. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I assumed he doesn't like Starbucks and so chose them to be the butt of his joke. No idea what kind of reputation Starbucks has, but isn't it kind of coffee McDonaldization?

19. macrumors G4

I wondered whether Starbucks being from Seattle was the choice there. Yet another Californian dig at Washington state ;)

20. macrumors 68020

besides if it was against FCC Regulations im sure it would have been something by them by the following day esp after the post FCC Superbowl ordeal

21. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Both of you are thinking too hard. Starbucks is the most popular and most common coffee house in America, thus Steve Jobs chose them to call for coffee. It's that simple.

And MrSmith, no, actually Starbucks has very good coffee, it's just overpriced and there are about twice as many than needed.

22. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Starbucks is the manifestation of Satan's divine plan. Check this out: http://www.blackgoldmovie.com/

23. macrumors 68020

pilotError

Probably some connection to the Rumor that Starbucks wants to put iTunes downloads in its stores.

24. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

25. macrumors newbie

Not Being Sold

From what I understand, you can make your own phone, so long as you don't sell it. I mean, if you have the means to make a mean phone (wow, haha), then I believe you can do it.