Did we actually see Leopard today???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DisturbedSith, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DisturbedSith macrumors newbie

Hi folks. I haven't been able to completely watch the keynote due to the connection consistantly failing, but I was thinking about something after having seen some of the keynote and screenshots. What if what we saw today was not actually Leopard, but rather an upgraded version of Tiger (lets think SP2 just for arguments sake). Now, I know this is coming out of left field, but just think about it. To my knowledge, we were never actually shown the "About this Mac" window. Some of the things they presented were quite amazing (or at least I thought), but the entire system as a whole looked like Tiger with some new apps. What if Apple decided to truly keep Leopard "Top Secret", but showcase enough to get us excited. This way, Microsoft won't have a chance to crank up those photocopiers last second, and come MWSF 2007 we see what Apple has REALLY got up its sleeves. Since most of the underpinnings of the OS were taken care of in Tiger, wouldn't it be possible to give developers a "SP2" of Tiger just so developers can work to optimize their apps for Leopard? This way, Apple is able to keep Redmond from making any last minute efforts and they can truly leapfrog anything Redmond could imagine producing in another 5 years. Again, I know this is coming out of left field, but I truly think we were only shown the tip of the iceberg.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you a Star Trek fan?

I see some merit in what you're saying and the fact I can't find any Finder screenshots makes me think it'll change quite a bit. Nevertheless, they showed us some features of Leopard, which is what they promised. Whether the About This Mac screen read Tiger or Leopard doesn't really have any consequence. :)

3. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

Attendees at WWDS are going to get a Leopard Preview disc to install on their Macs. It will include all of the features that were shown during the keynote. Jobs has promised additional features in the final version of Leopard that have not been revealed yet and are not part of this developer preview version.

There is no conspiracy.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

They showed 10 things from Leopard of course it is only the tip of the iceberg.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yep - 10 is nothing. Tiger had over 200 new features, though I swear "features" actually includes stuff like a new icon here and there ;)

I can' wait for Leopard. Tiger suddenly seems wanting and Panther, which I'm using at the moment, has started to creak :eek: ;)

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The Finder windows shown in the Timeline demo all look identical to Tiger Finder windows.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting, thanks for that stoid. I still doubt they'll keep the brushed metal look though. Well, it's half doubt and half hope. :)

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I can see the totally revamped Finder being one of the things that Apple is keeping under wraps (I hope).

9. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I agree. I'm sure the developer release will just have the same Finder as Tiger and then in the real release it will be a completely revamped Finder.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I'm seriously hoping for tabs in finder, though with Spaces I'm not sure if it overlaps with that in a way.

11. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

If they do change the Finder, I would expect another developer preview to include that so that people can build apps to take advantage of the new Finder features/API.

12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

This very same thought crossed my mind.

They HAVE to change the UI to some degree. Even tiger was a significant step away from Panther. You look at a screen and you know its Tiger - there is no way they wouldn't change it to some level.

Also, it was once a case that nobody oculd argue that OS X had the very best interface money could buy - but this is not the case anymore. Vista looks pretty nice nowadays, and if Apple want to keep wowing over more customers, they're gonna have to take another step up.

13. damado macrumors 6502

With Vista's dramatic changes, I would expect Leopard to be a significant change due to competition...like pissing contests b/t the two companies.

14. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

And the Desktop background is the one from Tiger. See? The big releases always get a new default desktop picture.... Cheetah, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger .... I have a feeling that the GUI is being overhauled.

Notice any mention of the resolution independant feature in Leopard? They probably left it out because it's tired closely to a new GUI.

Well, whatever it means, there's a lot of fishy things about the Leopard preview.

15. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

IMO, OS X looks fine the way it is. It looks nice, its not clutered (unlike our 'friends' in Redmond with their photocopiers), but its not overly good-looking to be a distraction (for example, instead of doing some coursework, looking at the "new" features of Vista-I used Beta 2 for a few weeks and by the end I simply couldnt use it. Too slow, unresponsive, and the way its copying OS X made me feel sick a little). Sure, it could do with a little bit of shine, but a "totally new GUI" seems a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

16. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Guys -

They didn't show what OS X 10.5 Leopard - the GUI atleast. In the preview of Tiger, it looked *exactly* the same as Panther did. Exactly the same.

Don't get carried away.... ;)

17. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

no we didn't see leopard, and we won't see it till spring, this is a developer preview with the secret features pulled,

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I'm guessing we'll see the "secret" features at MWSF in January.

19. DisturbedSith thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I didn't mean to over-react, but reading through the forums before the keynote got me a little too hyped :p I am definitely looking forward to MWSF 07 or whenever to see a more polished version woohoo!!

20. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

I agree. I mean, a completely new Finder would take a long time to program, so that would explain one of the reasons Leopard is taking longer than any other Mac OS X version.

21. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I believe Steve when he said that those "Top Secrets" were left out for "copying" problems. What did he say exactly..."Believe me, they're there".

Time Machine could have been one of those Top Secret things.. but it wasn't.

So, they must be HUGE!

BTW, I think the Developers lucky enough te get hold of a copy of this preview, should be able to notice the fact that the 64 bits-ness is extended to the Carbon and Cocoa API.
    I think that is one thing they couldn't have "updated" Tiger for. So if you have Carbon / Cocoa 64 bits support, you ARE running Leopard. Scaled down or not. But it is not a revved-up Tiger.

22. the_ki macrumors newbie

New Features

I'm sure Steve wants to show off more new features at Macworld in January.

But frankly, what could Microsoft possibly copy so quickly as to implement a brand new, groundbreaking feature in Vista between now and Spring 2007?

That's why I think the big top-secret changes will most likely be:

1) New Finder. Different views and features like tabs, could easily be implemented into Windows Explorer, so let's not show off what the Finder will look like just yet.

2) Replacement for Aqua. Vista looks glassy and bubbly like Aqua, so OS X is going to have to change and get ahead of the times. Brushed metal and gum-drop buttons go bye-bye, kids. :cool: