Did you/are you going to buy a game console?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by gkarris, Nov 20, 2006.

?

Will/Did you buy a game console this holiday?

1. A Playstation 3

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. A Nintendo Wii

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  3. An XBox 360

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. A last generation machine (XBox, PS2, Gamecube)

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. A slightly older machine (N64, Dreamcast, PSOne)

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. A much older machine (Super Nintendo, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. A classice machine (Atari, Intellivision, NEX, etc.)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. I don't buy videogame consoles

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  9. I'm still back in the day of radio...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Okay to vote for more than one!

Just wondering if anyone has bought one this holiday season. Any strange experiences trying to get one would be appreciated...

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't plan on buying a new console for a while since the prices are still a bit high, but I suspect that when the time comes, I'll get a Wii, but the Gamecube I've got is going to last for long enough...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

PS3 when one (or more) of the follow occurs:

price drop
    revision update
    sign from god
    they aren't harder to find than a sober fella at an irish wake

So.. not before the holiday season. :(

4. winterdude010 macrumors regular

winterdude010

I am going to get a Wii the second I can get one, even if it takes some money bribes to that nice person behind the counter ;)

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I *may* get a Wii based on my experience with my little brother's. It seem pretty cool. Generally though I don't play video games at all. I have a PSP that I rarely touch, and play the occasional game on the Mac (Sim City 4 only basically), but other than that I don't really have much time to play video games :(.

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'm getting a Wii for x-mas.

I'm really disappointed though that Call of Duty 3 has NO multiplayer at all. I might have to get that one for Mac, if I want to sacrifice the cool controls for that.

7. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

ill probably buy each one except for the xbox they messed up with the lack of internal HDDVD eiter you have it or you dont video game console perhipherals were so 1990's
    sega tried and tried numerous times to their fate and so it will also be that of the 360
    After all that its a video game not a transformer

a few people will buy it (the Ext Drive) but then it will be a piece of nostalgia on your local game trading stores wall up there with the sega cd and robbi the robot

perhiperals dont work never will its just another way to squeeze another dollar out of an old product
    now memory processor and hard-drive based upgrades that are not external might be another story

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I got a Nintendo Wii at Bestbuy on launch. My dad really wants to get a playstation 3, but he couldn't find one and isn't the camping out type. (he even said that he'd never heard of the Wii before and tried to convince me to get a PS3 :rolleyes: )

9. Silentwave macrumors 68000

Will probably get a PS3 as soon as they're available and they solve the major issues.

May get a wii. Wii'll see.

10. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I have a PS2, but I don't think I'll ever buy a game console again. I prefer to play games on my mac;) :cool:

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There's no option for I already own a PS2 and an XBox 360. I don't want a Wii and the PS3 won't be launched in the UK till next year (and it's not compelling anyway).

So the answer is: I won't be buying one as there's not one I want!

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My son has a Gamecube, but I've never been a gamer myself.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've been a gamer since as long as I can remember.

I've had most of the home computers & consoles, starting with the ZX81 and running up through a huge roster...

spectrum 48k, commodore 64, bbc micro, vic 20, spectrum + 1, Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, megadrive (genesis), Snes, Amiga 512k, Playstation, GameBoy, Philips CDi, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, Gameboy Color, Playstation 2, Slim Ps2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Panasonic Q, Xbox, Gameboy Advanced, GBA:SP, Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS-Lite, Xbox 360, (wii & ps3 on order)....

As well as PC & Mac gaming along the way also...

I think it's why I'm very blanced and un-biased in my opinions on format and hate format wars - simply because I've had SO many and still do... :)

15. aspro macrumors 6502

I bought a Xbox 360 and I see enough good games out there now, or coming in the future to allow me to just stick with the Xbox for a good while. I may pick up a PS3 in a couple of years when the prices are right down, so that I can catch up on the Final Fantasy games.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

We already sold our Gamecube as we haven't played it much since we took on our other money-sink hobby (no I'm not telling what since people will laugh). We're looking to get a Wii and a better TV to go with it sometime after Christmas, though.

17. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've pretty much set my heart on getting a Wii. I'm not really into gaming, but it just looks so damn cool. I'll probably get one when they're released here on the 7th of December.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm interested in a Nintendo Wii, but not enough to pay the current price.

I've got a Nintendo GameCube and a DS, an Atari Jaguar and a 7800, and a huge number of games on my Atari 800 from back in the day.

I can wait.

19. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

20. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Bought two 360s... one a year ago, and one about 10 months ago. No need to buy anything else right now. ;)

22. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

meh. I wanted a Wii, but realized that the MBP was way better than the MB, so I'm getting that Friday morning. also, I don't want to intoxicate my 5 year old brother with vedeogames. I've never had a console, and not to toot my own horn, but I've turned out a pretty good kid. I'm the treasurer of student council, take advanced classes, my GPA is 4.2, and other stuff. Anyway, my lil' bro is rather rambunctious, so a console would only make things worse, IMHO.

23. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Everyone able to find the systems okay (obviously with the exception of the PS3)?

24. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'll get a Wii eventually, but only when I can find one without too much trouble.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2