Did you get an Apple Magic Mouse or the Trackpad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Nov 30, 2012.

1. macrumors 601

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2006
    You made the right decision, IMHO. I love my trackpad but the magic mouse is horribly uncomfortable to me, and the touch gestures on it aren't what they're cracked up to be. Gestures on the magic trackpad are awesome!
  3. macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Apple mice universally suck, and the new OS is built around gestures. You made the right choice getting the trackpad.
  4. thread starter macrumors 601

Jun 29, 2010
  5. macrumors 6502a

Dec 25, 2010
    New Jersey
    I just ordered mine about 2 hours ago. Went with the trackpad. I love that trackpad. It takes a few days to get used to it, once you do, you'll find that moving a mouse around is awful. Plus there is an awesome program (sorry, I mean App), that can allow for custom gestures to be added to it. 4 finger taps and swipes and pinches and what not. They can then be mapped to a shortcut or command within another program or app. It's awesome.
  6. macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Løgumkloster, Denmark
    I think you made the right the decision. I also ordered the trackpad, but I already own the Magic Mouse. :)
  7. macrumors member

Nov 11, 2011
    I got the trackpad and I have an aftermarket mouse for gaming.
  8. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Def. made right call. Mouses -- all of them are last century. The track pad might take some getting use to, but you will eventually love it to death. I know I could never go back to a mouse or track ball. Keep a cheap corded pointing device of some kind handy though for emergencies.
  9. macrumors 68040

Nov 3, 2011
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2006
    It comes down to personal preference, but I went Trackpad, as I have used a laptop for years, and have spare mice for when I need it. Never really liked trying to gesture on the Magic Mice at the stores.
  11. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2010
  12. macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2012
    I thought exactly the same as you, so I did the same.

Plus I really like the trackpad on my macbook pro.
  13. macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Trackpad. After over a year of using my MBP, I have trouble even remembering how to navigate on computers without gestures. Two-finger scroll or death! (Well, not really. Still, though, two-finger scroll is pretty great.)
  14. NMF
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2011
    Trackpad is the future for Macs. The OS is being built around gestures now since the vast majority of Macs sold are laptops. You made the right decision. I love my Magic Trackpad!
  15. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2012
    Trackpad (figure it will sell easier on craigslist)
  16. macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2012

Oh my God I've decided to select the magic mouse instead of the trckpad because I was not sure if i could get used to it :( Do you think I was wrong then?
  17. macrumors 6502

May 10, 2012
    I also selected the magic mouse. A friend told me that the track pad is awful as it takes twice as long to do everything so if kind of counter productive.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2008
    I enjoy using my trackpad on my macbook pro, but when I'm at home (I'm a college student) I pair it with my magic mouse.

I put my laptop on a higher desk level for better viewing, and then I use my bluetooth keyboard/mouse for better access. But sometimes using a mouse is just a better experience for me like when I'm in photoshop -- it's really just preference in my opinion.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2009
    Why don't people go into a store and try this stuff out first? I'll never understand it (unless you don't live near an Apple Store).

I think the Magic Mouse is great... I rarely use the gestures, but when I do they're really nice.
  20. macrumors 68000

Sep 18, 2009
    I just left it at the standard wireless keyboard + magic mouse since I don't intend to use either. I have a Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard and the Logitech Performance MX instead.
  21. macrumors 604

Mar 29, 2008
    The Magic Trackpad is great. The Magic mouse is horrible, and just so unbelievably uncomfortable for regular use and gestures.
  22. macrumors member

Jul 16, 2012
    United Kingdom
    This will be my first Mac I wussed out and played it safe with a magic mouse :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 68030

Apr 10, 2011
    I own two Apple Wireless Keyboards and two Magic Mouses... and one Magic Trackpad. :D
  24. macrumors 68030

Apr 13, 2010
    Bedfordshire, UK
    I've ordered the Trackpad. I love the Trackpad on my MBA so I assume I'll enjoy using the larger varient on the iMac.
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2009
    Trackpad is awesome.

The Magic Mouse is nice, but transitioning to it requires getting your hand accurately placed on it (thumb on left side, ring finger on right side, can't be off from those edges at all), as contrasted with a trackpad where you just kinda brush it anywhere on a several-inch surface.

Mouse may be more suited for some applications, but for general & programming use the trackpad wins.