Did you get IDed when you voted?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by advres, Nov 2, 2004.

1. advres Guest

advres

How scary is this? All I had to do was was give my name and street address and they handed me a ballot. I could have said I was my neighbors for all they know.

I wonder how many people are going to wait until late to put in their vote tonight and find out someone already voted as them.

Here comes the voter fraud. From BOTH sides.

On a different note, am I the only one on this forum that voted for Bush?

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've always had to show ID to vote. I've always been curious about places where no ID is required, or where it's considered voter suppression to require some kind of ID for voting; it just seems like common sense that you'd have to (somehow) prove that you are who you say you are.

Not the only one, but you're certainly in the minority. ;)

3. makisushi macrumors 6502

In Loudoun County, Virginia, you need ID (Voter registration card, drivers license, gov't picture ID or passport)

And I voted for Bush.

4. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

In all the previous times that I've voted in MA (elections and primaries), I've never been IDed. The nice lady just had a big book in front of her, asked me what street I lived on, went to that page, checked me off, and gave me a ballot. It is scary when you think about it, but then again, I'm Asian so I doubt I could say I was my neighbors with their names being Anderson and Adams ;)

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Same as what Spymit said.

Except for the Asian part. ;)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Here is Fairfax County Virginia you had to have ID too (Voter registration card, drivers license, gov't picture ID or passport). This was a change from the past.

We did have at least a DNC observer in the poll, so that may have been a reason for the ID checks.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My understanding is that it's illegal to ask for ID in most states. Makes sense, since in America you're not even required to have an ID card, so many people don't.

8. Spymit007 macrumors regular

Spymit007

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughed out loud to that one (got a lot of weird stares from people nearby...ah back to work...)

9. SlowX macrumors member

no ID here...

...although they did compare my autograph to how I signed last time I voted, and asked for my voter registration card.

So I'm pretty sure my "Go Kerry" vote counted just fine and clean.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I see what you're saying; I just don't understand how poll workers are supposed to verify that you are who you say you are unless you show some form of identification (e.g. a voter registration card). Like advres said in the original post, it seems like an easy opportunity for voter fraud.

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I guess it would depend on the precinct, but in my precinct generally SOMEONE working in the polls is going to know every voter personally. I knew two or three of my poll workers. It would be pretty hard to fake it. Plus, the penalty for getting caught is substantial. It's an awful lot of risk to take for one lousy vote.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife didn't have to show ID, but I did. Mainly because I just unregistered in RI and regeistered in NC.

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I had to show ID. But since I just turned 18, I look younger then 18 so they have to be sure:) Voted at 6 AM:)

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My wife and I went together. She presented them with her voters card, and I mentioned that they ought to look for both of us at the same time, since we were married and had the same last name. They didn't ask me for any ID, just had me sign my slip and then handed me my ballot card for the voting device.

We both voted for Bush. Not that it makes a difference in Maryland, which Kerry ought to carry by 15-18 points.

15. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I decided to do a little research on this, and it looks like there's a new federal law going into effect in 2006 requiring first-time voters to present identification. Some states have begun implementing that requirement for 2004, so that may explain the inconsistency we're seeing. It does make some sense to me: if you voted last time, then there's not as much need to ask for ID this time, since if someone pretends to be you, you'll likely show up later (or you've already voted) and will be able to clear things up at that point.

Here's a link.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I voted under the name Tinkerbell. I wasn't asked for my ID, but I can prove it.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fwiw, here in Oregon there are no voting booths. The Entire State uses mail-in ballots. So you take your time filling in your ballot, stick it in a couple of envelopes, sign it and put it in the post (or you can drop it off in person at various spots around each city). It is pretty strange...

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am not sure that some form of ID should not be required. Take this year as an example. If a neighbor and I were "Red & Blue" in our outspoken desire for a particular vote. What would stop either of us, knowing that we voted in the past, to "represent" the other at the voting booth? Therby depriving one of us the true "vote" we intended?

Now I will admit that I have misplaced my "voters registration card" long ago. But if showing that was the only way for me to vote, I would be glad to make sure I had one by a reasonable "deadline". I am not sure I agree about other forms of ID's since it does seem to side against minorities. Unless we came up with a "National ID" system.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As a side point, I will say that due to lack of "voter cards" they did not mark a number on that card. So less "tracking" of the "vote" itself.

20. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I heard an election official on MN Public Radio today say that election officials here in Minnesota don't have to ask for ID. I just gave my name and address and signed "the book", and that was that.

We do have same day voter registration in Minnesota, so that may be a reason why.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No ID. No voter reg card. Just name & address. And the nice people at the retirement home I voted at wouldn't know me from Adam.

I'm in LA now and when I voted in Indiana I'm pretty sure I had to present ID.

Lethal

22. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Same thing in Chicago -- give your name, sign the book. The only verification was the official did a brief comparison of my signature with some previous signature.

I continue to be surprised by the fact that you don't have to show a picture ID to vote.

Then again, I also continued to be surprised that in 10 states ex-felons can't vote. I mean, it can be argued that prisoners shouldn't vote, since the purpose of prison is to deny freedom. But once you've done your time, I think you should be able to vote.

23. advres thread starter Guest

advres

wtf?

I believe there will be rampant fraud from all parts of the political spectrum. What I found scary was there was no ID check verifying I was whom I said I was. I was asked for my address. I gave it to them and they looked it up in front of me. Then, with me looking directly at all the names on the page (about 25-30), the lady asked me what my name was. I could have said I was any male name on that page. Then say that person whom I voted for goes to vote later. Now they would be unable to do so because our polling place says they already voted. People could go from district to district and continue this process all day long. All they have to do is get a list of registered voters (which I am sure isn't that difficult) and go from place to place saying they are whomever they wished and without having to do the scenario I just laid out.

This, is the travesty we will witness mark my words. There is a loop-hole here which is destroying the democratic process of one man - one vote. Many evil people from all sides, pushing their agendas, will work this loop-hole to the disadvantage of ALL Americans.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Never had to sign anything. Maybe it was due to my offering my DL as an ID. If anything we need a "National Standard" for those that cast a ballot. IMO there should not be a "standard" in one state, and another "standard" in another.

IMO if we are to require a DL or similar ID; that opens us to s a new whole level that we don't want an answer to. A "National ID" might help; but how do we "safeguard" the "safety" of our "vote" with a "National ID" system?

So the question begs, how does the RNC side of the coin "protect" the "vote". While protecting the DNC principle of anyone that has the legal right to vote, to able to "vote".

To ,yself the DNC & RNC will never give up the f****ing money

25. HeWhoSpitsFire macrumors member

HeWhoSpitsFire

Here in OR, we get our ballots in the mail. I voted two weeks ago. We switched to a totally mail in system eight years ago I think. They just verify your original registration sig with the one you provide on the ballot.