Did you get ripped off too?!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Mar 10, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link

Between Choicepoint , and LexisNexis, it seems that atleast some of the members here have had their info lifted from the computers of collectors.

this is starting to really worry me, to wake up one morning and find out I've been emptied, just scares the crap out of me.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Is the same story I heard a few weeks ago about a bank that was hacked into in California?

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually it was Bank of America that lost a tape with government credit card holders info on it. Maybe since some members of congress info was on the tape, maybe now they will take action to make banks and credit card companies more accountable for credit card fraud and identity theft. It is the least these companies can do with the sweetheart bankruptcy bill being passed for their contributions.

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

To deal with privacy concerns, Choicepoint has hired someone to "oversee improvements in ChoicePoint's screening process and implementation of procedures to expedite the reporting of incidents."

News story:
    The Alpharetta, Georgia-based company said Carol A. DiBattiste, deputy administrator of the Transportation Security Administration, has been appointed as the company's chief credentialing, compliance and privacy officer.​
    And what would this position be called for short? Why, C3PO, of course! (I read this anecdote in InformationWeek magazine.)

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well, if they would only hire C3PO for the job, then it might be done properly! :D

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah. It scares me too. I've always gone along with Locke's philosophy that our work and our earnings are actually our life. A $20 bill is an hour or my life that I had to spend working to earn. Robbing me of $20 is taking that hour out of my life.

If I were cleaned out fraudulently, I would be sorry tempted to call the whole social contract null and void and give the state of nature a go.

I came up with the perfect punishment for these people after the jail time though. Place a restriction on them that the only financial transactions they can make are in cash. They wouldn't be allowed to have a bank account, a check book. They couldn't have credit cards. They can't even get a money order to pay utility bills. They have to go wherever and pay cash.

7. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

This needs to stop or the institutions need to be held $$$$ accountable. Either that or we could keep moving $$$ from one place to another all the time...it is scary that you have no recourse.

It is as bad as the SS# 'reusability' issue here in the states. We the people in the end have no rights and blindly allow / trust others to 'hold' the $$ or vital information about us and have no recourse for any issues they allow to happen.

8. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I totally agree.
    The SS# becomes a key in this 'credit history' system (do any other countries even have a credit history ? How about privacy ?), yet you have to give it to random people (dentist, rental places, store credit cards....)... and unlike a credit card number, you can't just cancel/change it... :mad:

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Oddly enough using the social security number for anything besides social security is illegal. It used to be at least.

In theory they can't even ask for it on your income tax.

10. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I used to work as an investigator and its amazing what you can do once you have someones SS#. And the thing is, people tend to just give it out whever they are asked for it.

For example, information at the DMV (department of motor vehicles) is considered public, so if you go to the DMV and ask for someones records, all you have to do is go to the original application for a drivers license and gues whats usually there? Yep. SS#. The stupid thing is that its not even a mandatory field to fill in. But noone tells you that, so most people fill it in and all off a sudden anyone with the idea to actually ask for the info has it.

Once you have the SS#, everything is open to you because people assume that if you have the SS# you must be legit. Very scary actually.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I prefer my solution: If someone steals your identity, they are you, right? And there's no law against harming yourself... so, if someone steals your identity, you should be allowed to beat the motherlovin' crap out of them... you're only harming yourself, right? Knock their teeth out, gouge their eyes, knee them in the balls, you name it. Anything short of killing them (since in most places there are laws against suicide).

I'm being absolutely serious here, BTW. Identity theft is absolutely unforgivable and anyone who does it to me is going to find themselves in a world of hurt if I find them. :mad:

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When restaurants give out those forms saying "tell us your birthday", I never fill in my real birthday. None of their business and they don't really care. So I get cards all year saying "It's your birthday! Buy a lobster dinner and get a free cup of coffee!" or whatever they say to entice me for my birthday meal.

And I don't use my bank PIN as my computer password as some teachers I know do.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Here in Massachusetts when I renewed my drivers license several years ago I had my SS# removed. They just choose a number at random. It is very scar how vulnerable we have become to identity thread. I learned the hard way that many places on the internet the consider your birthday as your signature. Causing a legal obligation. Luckily with a phone call I was able to cancel the transaction, actually it took two. I kept notes so that helped.

I can't think of the name of the company at the moment, but they advertise on our local radio station. Its essentially a credit watch. The purpose of membership fee is that they will monitor your credit and notify of any changes. There is also an insurance policy that can be used to repair a person's credit. Has anyone else thought about this program or current subscribes?

14. Eastend macrumors 6502

Never thought of that one. If they caught you the court case against you would be interesting. Not only the court case would be interesting, but the newspaper headlines would be more interesting, "Man almost beats himself to death for stealing his own identity". That's if you follow the logic.

Brian

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, it makes sense to me... they steal your identity and screw up your life (your ability to buy a house, a car, get a job, a loan, whatever)... you should have the right to screw up THEIR life, for as long as your life remains screwed up.

I can see the testimony now: "Your Honor, this person pretended to be me. I just carried out his wishes, and treated him as if he WERE me. And I felt like beating the crap out of myself. How is that a crime?" :)

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I think they have to put some real teeth in sentencing these people! I bought a shredder this year and shred more than ollie north now, paranoia I guess, but with all the junk mail credit cards, and other crap I am nervous about it.

Clay, nice avatar btw! :p

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Thanks! I'm gonna leave it up until next Monday night... then back to the usual avatar.

P.S.: Post #1000!