Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copyrajter

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
After complaining to my reseller they managed to speed things up (dunno how) and yesterday my baby arrived. Unfortunately to Melbourne where I live and not to Auckland, New Zealand where I'm currently on business. Asked them today to courier it here, so hopefully I'll get mine tomorrow.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Just to stir the pot a little...

I ordered my 17 C2D MBP Friday night (11/24) at about 10 PM EST, and received it this morning (Wed 11/29) at about 9 AM. :D

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
To stir the pot a bit more...

I odered a MPB pro 17" glossy on Oct 25 from M**M***. They last told me that it would not ship until after Dec 5. So today at 3:00 local time I called M********** and placed an order after having first canceled the original order. It has shipped and will be delivered to me Friday morning Dec. 1.

There must be a moral there somewhere.

ddixon752

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2006
Finally!!

Finally shipped last night (Wed. night)--mine is the Edu Institution purchase that I've posted several times about. Shipped 35 days after ordered. Oddly enough, the shipment is from California, not Shanghai. But, I have standard shipping, so they are predicting a Tuesday delivery.

I called and complained both Monday and Tuesday, but that probably had nothing to do with the Wed. shipment. Good luck to the others waiting.

D Dixon

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
Mine finally arrived today - been out filming all day, just got in the door with it... Perfect timing, I start an editing job tomorrow. I haven't opened it yet. But the picture on the box has no dead pixels or any kind of noise ;)

Do people want to see more unwrapping pictures? I might take some no matter what.... just wondering if there's more stuff people might be wondering about?

Also - any recommendations on things I should do apart from calibrating the battery and checking for dead pixels?

I've got my fingers crossed for those of you who still haven't received their loved ones.

S i

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Rome
Finally shipped last night (Wed. night)--mine is the Edu Institution purchase that I've posted several times about. Shipped 35 days after ordered. Oddly enough, the shipment is from California, not Shanghai. But, I have standard shipping, so they are predicting a Tuesday delivery.

I called and complained both Monday and Tuesday, but that probably had nothing to do with the Wed. shipment. Good luck to the others waiting.

D Dixon

At last! Your order has been a bit of a horror story :eek: Glad it's finally on it's way to you :D

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Guess I shouldn't have spoken so soon. Mine came with some very bad backlight bleeding coming from the bottom edge of the screen, the same as described numerous times before. I can take a little bit, but this was so bad it hurt my eyes.

Anyway it's already on its way back to Apple and a replacement will be here soon.

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
I hope this was directed towards me... It was great. Went down during their annual lobster fest the first week in August - I have never seen lobster fixed so many ways.

yes directed at you.. I have never been to key west AND I am seriously considering going out there for a month or TWO...THEplace sounds GREAT, especially in the winter! I just need to find a local that will let me ($1000) park my RV on their property.

:)

Flipd

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2006
39 days and counting here...

At least Apple is distributing the machines in a fair, first come, first served basis...

;)

Flipd

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2006
Just got a call from the reseller I ordered from... the 17's there at last... will be out for delivery Monday - so from start to finish that makes it a total of 42 days... compared to everyone else, how did I do?

;)

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
I can respect that.. LOL

Wait until you see how nice the RIG truly is.. I am sitting outside now at a coffee shop in Berkeley... My first serious outing with my new C2D 17 inch...

I feel special...

iloveyou

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
I received mine yesterday. In fact for a few hours I actually had two of them in the house. (It is a long story involving vendor and UPS both s****ing up). A quick check shows that both MacMall and MacConnection has all standard models (15.4 inch, 17 inch both matte and glossy) in stock for immediate shipment. And MacConnection shows a few BTO's (mostly 3 Gb memory upgrades) in stock as well. I think it safe to say, in the US at least, the dam has broken and you can get one almost immediately.

Mine is a standard machine with a glossy screen. I have not found any problems with it so far, well except for the misery of installing Windows - how I hate Windows - under Bootcamp. Thats grist for another message. The glossy screen has less glare than my 50" Panasonic plasma display. Thats not to say it is non-existant but something that unless you deliberately look for it you don't see it. The increase in contrast and color depth more than offset any problems in that area. I do not see any signs of "grain" in the display, to the contrary it seems remarkably smooth to these tired eyes. As for uneven brightness I see more atributable to seeing the screen of axis than in reality. Try moving your head from left to right with any LCD screen that is wide enough to span more then the central part of your vision at your working distance. Even then the effect, to me any way, is more like the kind of vignetting you get when using very a short focal length lens.

As for the fit of the parts, keys in the keyboard, gaps between the screen and the body when closed are very similar to that of the 4 year old 17" PB G4 that I am typing this message on.

Now if I can only get Windows to behave itself!

Garden Knowm

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
California
Hi Deputy...

I have not installed bootcamp or windows yet.. I have some questions?

What is the minimum space I will need to allocate?
Can I run windows and osx at the same time?

I only want windows so that I can hook my blackberry up to my computer and surf the web....

cheers

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Hi Deputy...

I have not installed bootcamp or windows yet.. I have some questions?

What is the minimum space I will need to allocate?

I can't give you a definitive answer. Bootcamp comes with 3 preset volume sizes as choices (you can choose others with a slider arrangement) of 5 Gb, 32 Gb and half of the HDD. Since the smallest given as a preset is 5 Gb I would suspect that is pretty close to the minimum.

Can I run windows and osx at the same time?

Not with Bootcamp however you can if you use Parallels. Unfortunately Parallels is reported to have some considerable struggles using the USB ports (the same problem plagued Virtual PC0). Since most of my usages for Windows involves tethering an external device via the USB ports... Also it should be noted that the publisher does not support USB 2.0 but they are working on it. Micrsoft worked on the problem through VP 6.0 and VP 7.0 and they never solved it.

I only want windows so that I can hook my blackberry up to my computer and surf the web....

See my remarks above about tethering via USB. If you can thether your blackberry via Bluetooth it might work. I have no way (no blackberry) to test it with.

Copyrajter

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Funny, I'm tracking my 17" on TNT's page and even though it now is on a truck heading for my office, I can't feel the same excitement I felt the first week after I ordered.

I feel old, battered and bruised.

This month, and then some, of waiting has almost taken the joy out of the whole experience.

It's weird.

[irony]If it's not perfect on arrival I'm gonna make someone at Apple regret I've got sniper training.[/irony]

K

kathylagare

Is anyone still waiting?

This thread has grown quiet. Is anyone still waiting for their 17" MacBook C2D or am I the last person on the planet who is waiting for theirs? I ordered the first week they came out, knowing it would take time to ship to my location, but sheesh. My G3 Powerbook (hey.... stop laughing) isn't cutting it anymore. First post, please be kind.

Mlebout

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Quebec, Canada
This thread has grown quiet. Is anyone still waiting for their 17" MacBook C2D or am I the last person on the planet who is waiting for theirs? I ordered the first week they came out, knowing it would take time to ship to my location, but sheesh. My G3 Powerbook (hey.... stop laughing) isn't cutting it anymore. First post, please be kind.

Sorry to hear that. Don't understand what the delay could be. Have you called Apple? I probably called 4-5 times before I finally received mine.

It's my first Mac and am extremely happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.