Did you pay for Konfabulator?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Apr 3, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

I just downloaded Konfabulator and I found out I can use it with this message sitting on my desktop to register it. I like the program but I don't like that message sitting on my desktop. It costs $25.00 to register it. My question is how many people have paid for this program?

2. papersushi macrumors regular

What difference does it make? If you like the program, pay your fair share.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I paid for it. I think its a fantastic program and worth every penny and then some

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I paid for my copy. The price is reasonable for what you get. If people don't pay, then software like this may not get developed.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree with the above posters - it's a fantastic program, so if you like it, you should buy it. The software developers need $$$ to keep developing great programs like Konfab, and I think it's great to support them when they release good products.

There is a lot of software out there (mostly Windows-based) that I do not think it worth the price being charged. However, I am always more than willing to pay for software if I feel like I am getting good value for my money. It sounds like you enjoy the program, so you should do the same. :cool:

Or are you one of those people who expects to have everything for free and never wants to pay for anything? ;) :p ;)

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I tried it, liked it a lot at first... and then realized I basically was just admiring the eye-candy aspect of the program. There's nothing wrong with that... but I didn't find it worth $25 to me just to have a slick-looking weather applet on my desktop. Not to mention the fact that Konfabulator puts everything on the desktop, while mine is generally is pretty much covered. :p

I don't mind paying for software I use though. I bought Codetek's Virtual Desktop, because after using virtual desktops in Linux for a couple years I found I can't do without them (and at the time that freeware virtual desktop program wasn't very stable). I'm still debating whether I use Launchpad enough to justify paying for it.

I must admit that I do keep Geektool running a couple of desktop-level monitors (system.log and "top").

7. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I tried it and it was ok, well written, etc. But honestly I wouldn't pay for it, not because I would use it, but because I don't really have much use for it. If you find it useful, pay for it. To me it was not so useful.

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I didn't think it was worth keeping/paying for. Why use up ram and CPU just to know the temprature or whatever tools you set up. I downloaded a lot of widgets, but a week later, I didn't notice it was gone.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oooh, you sneaky guy you - I bet no one else would be able to do that! You must be a professional hacker or something... :p ;)

11. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I paid. It's a great program and I use it regularly. Also, I respect how much time the developers put into it and they deserve something in return.

12. 603 macrumors member

slightly off-topic...

how on earth do you get Konfabulator to stop running when your computer boots? it's not in Startup Items. PM me if you know. i'm still waiting on a replacement from Apple so i honestly didn't spend much time trying to figure it out before i shipped back the defective computer.

13. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

While I didn't buy Konfabulator, I must say I wish more people had this attitude in general. It's always amazing to me how many people apparently see nothing wrong with ripping off the hard work of software developers.

Edit: Just to be clear - I tried Konfabulator, decided it wasn't worth the money, and deleted it from my disk. (I realized, after the fact, that my first phrase might be misinterpreted) :D

14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I am ;)

15. cmx08 macrumors regular

hack ? no....!!!

i used it and like it and it shink with time instead of growin.
    i end up only with the cal that shows the days and the weather stuff sometimes. i have a nice cal on the wall in front of my book but i like to check it on my book rather than look at the wall. so calendar for 25US ? a lil too much for a freshman.

i can get rid of the msg without hacking and u all can also. use activity monitor and quit the konnfa with te lowest # on the left and the konfa icon on the menu bar will also be gone but the cal still runs after days runnin

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I paid for my version, and even got my Mom hooked and she bought a licence too! I think it's a great app and well worth the $'s. The only thing I wish they would do is make some widget tutorials. There's this Toronto traffic widget that no longer works (probably cause they changed the web site) and I'd like to modify the original to make it work with the new website format. Mind you I haven't had a lot of time to check out the forums there... :(

17. looklost macrumors regular

Ye$

I use it and I paid for it. Bottom line is someone took the time to develop and if you use it you should pay.

18. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i don't use it...i've tried it a couple of times and check every couple months cause it seems like something i could use and enjoy...but it hasn't hi me yet.

i should start a "favorite widget" thread...or search in case there has been one...

19. sixteen macrumors newbie

sixteen

Tried and deleted

I tried Konfabulator, a couple of times in fact (on different machines ranging from a Dual 500 G4 to a Dual 2 G5)

Liked it, but found somethng I liked better for the limited use I made of what Konfabulator can do.

Once Panic ships their little app I'll be buying it. But for anyone who wants the vastly greater control Konfabulator gives you... Pay for it.

I must own about every app Unsanity makes (Windowshade X, Fruit Menu, Labels X, ShapeShifter) and I can't live without James Thomson's DragThing.

If it's worth keeping, it ought to be worth supporting.

20. Kid Red macrumors 65816

I tried it and thought it was useless. Not only that, but in principal you're paying these guys $25 when it's the widget makers who are doing all the work (majority). So I can't justify paying (or using) a program that allows awesome looking but useless widgets.

Total waste of time and money IMO.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Heh heh - so now the question would be, do you feel that you have to BE a professional hacker to acquire a copy of Konfabulator without paying for it? ;) Or better yet, do you believe that because you CAN acquire a copy of Konfabulator without paying for it, that that MAKES you a professional hacker? ;)

22. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Right on the money. If you've tried it out long enough to know that you'd regret deleting it from your hard drive, that's a cue that you should probably pay for it. If nothing else, the support will enable the people who developed it to continue to issue bug fixes and upgrades, which will come in handy if you keep using the program. Think of it as enlightened self-interest. ;)

Though I'm very annoyed when PayPal is the only payment option offered. I don't trust PayPal to safeguard my personal information properly, so I'd rather avoid having an account with them.

23. Datazoid macrumors regular

I have not paid for Konfabulator, and, at this point, I doubt I ever will. I simply cannot get over the speed hit it takes for something I will see about 2% of the time. Generally, when it comes to Konfab, this is the order it goes in:

Download new Konfabulator version
    Open 5-6 Widgets (Desktop Level - no 3rd party)
    Use computer normally for 3 days
    Watch transformation of iMac (G4) -> Molasses
    Quit Konfabulator -> Poof! All better.
    Delete Konfabulator and wait for next version...

I do wish it would work without consuming vast amounts of system resources (although Safari is quite annoying in that respect too...grrr), but at this point I have more hope for that new "little app" Panic will be coming out with...

24. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

I paid for it. It is mostly eye-candy, but it's worth it to see the green faces of Windows users!! :D :D

I run 10 widgets and suffer no noticeable impact on my 1Ghz, 512MB Powerbook's performance. I also run the widget that shows you how much CPU Konfabulator is using and that both confirms its low take on CPU and also identifies any rogue widgets (I've found two so far, which i no longer run)

I do agree with the earlier poster tho who pointed out it is the unpaid authors of widgets who make Konfabulator worth it.