Did You Turn Off The Parallax?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Traverse, Sep 21, 2013.

?

Did you disable the parallax?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2013.
  1. Yeah

82 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. No

88 vote(s)
    47.8%
  3. Still Undecided

14 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. macrumors 601

Traverse

Hi everyone,

I'm just nosy, but how many of you decided to "Reduce Motion" and turn of the parallax in iOS 7?

Either because it caused heat, used battery, or just distracted you...etc.

2. macrumors 603

cambookpro

Nope, I find it really cool so it's still on here.

3. macrumors 65816

I turned it off. I didn't mind it, but I just prefer a static screen.

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yep. Seems a bit gimmicky to me and a potential source of battery drain. It looks neat and all, but I don't see it as useful.

5. macrumors regular

Doublea6

I turned it off cause I can hardly notice it. I've also heard it doesn't use extra battery because the gyroscope are always on anyway.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors regular

adamgbiggs

Mines been off since beta 2, it's just distracting as hell to me.

Adam.

8. thread starter macrumors 601

Traverse

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's the pseudo 3D effect whenyou move your phone around.

9. macrumors member

Turned off.

Can't even notice it when it's on, and I'm kind worry about the battery drain; although it seems that the time you spend on home screen and lock screen is rather minimal, I just like a static motionless screen.

10. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

11. macrumors member

ali.mofadal

Same here, I can't see the difference when it's on and off so I just turned it off, my phone is already two years old and I don't want it to die faster.

12. macrumors 68010

Yeah it's a potentially battery-draining gimmick that only distracts me. Sad to think how much time some poor Apple developers spent trying to get it up to snuff.

13. Guest

WeegieMac

You can't turn it "off" you can only choose to see the effect or not, but the work is done by the system to compute the parallax effect regardless.

I was told this by an iOS Developer who said that the parallax is always computed in the background, and it explains why wallpapers take so long to apply even on newer devices, as the parallax is being computed and applied to your image so that if you choose to "Reduce Motion" it can be reenabled at will with no delay.

So, that's why I leave it on. The device is already doing the work for parallax, you can only choose to see the effect or not and instantly enable/disable it, but in the end if the device has done the work and is using resources regardless, I may as well keep it enabled.

If you could truly turn it "off" there would be a substantial delay in turning it on/off ... you are merely choosing to see or not to see what the device has already pre-computed.

14. macrumors regular

It makes me sick....I turned it off regardless battery drain theories :rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502a

16. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

I was surprised how subtle it was actually so I turned it off because i didn't feel it really added anything.

The slight lag between moving and the parallax effect ruined the effect a bit too. I assume the 5s doesn't suffer from that with its motion processor.

17. macrumors 603

apolloa

Absolutely I turned it off, I have an iPhone 5 so ANY way I can increase battery life under iOS7 is a given.

18. Guest

WeegieMac

No lag on my iPad 4 or iPhone 4s.

I tilt the device, it responds instantly and I see behind the icons.

19. macrumors regular

No vote from me because i can't even work out what your talking about, tried it on and off and can't see any difference, but then again i am not sure what i am looking for, does this not effect the 4S or something.

20. Guest

WeegieMac

Set the space wallpaper (default) and enable motion. Tilt the device from left to right and up/down and focus on some of the stars between icons. You will be able to see "behind" the icons and notice details that were obscured before you titled the device.

And yes it works on 4s.

21. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Right now I keep it; it's new, it's a bit fancy and a good git to the airplane I use as background. Might switch off later in some weeks.

22. macrumors regular

When you say space wallpaper do you mean one of the dynamic ones with the circles on, if so i have tried that and still cant see any difference, everything just looks normal too me.

23. macrumors regular

NEVER! I love it so it´s definitely always on :) I love seeing the icons float over the background and it always surprises me when I lay the phone down or tilt it :)

24. Guest

WeegieMac

No, the space one is the ... space one, the default wallpaper. A blueish nebula.

The circles is dynamic and also responds. Turn your device on its side (hold it in landscape mode) and watch the circles drift to the bottom of screen (remember you're in landscape mode). Tilt the device around and the circles will drift from the (now) top to the (now) bottom.

25. macrumors regular