Die Another Day

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I just got back from Die Another Day. I thought it was a pretty good Bond movie. My biggest problem with the movie was that the cloaking device on his car seemed a little far out even for a Bond movie.

I did like the nostalgia when they went into the room that had the Gator sub from Octopussy and the rocket pack from Thunderdrome in the background.

edit- Something odd, in the middle of all the movie trailers there was a trailer for Warcraft III of all things. Did anyone else see that?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Actually I saw a making of Die Another Day, that paint used on the aston in the film is actually (apparently) in development for use initially on tanks.

3. diorio macrumors 6502a

Die Another Day was an excellent movie. The invisible car did seem a little far out, but it worked quite well with the movie plot. The problem I had was how many times james bond's car could get shot with bullets or rockets, and not even dent. He could also drive through walls and not dent his car. Other than that, it was an awesome movie. Halle Berry performed quite admirably as did judi dench and pierce broson.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had planned on going to see the movie on Sunday night late, but at my local theater it was all sold out, very much 'the' movie right now. One thing that I find lately is that I really don't want to go see a movie when it is that crowded, it just doesn't make it that enjoyable, even with the new theaters with the stadium seating (the new AMC Hoffman Center 22 by me has all stadium theaters).

D

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would like to se the halle berry spinoffs which are rumored

she is gorgeous, but not a spring chicken...esp ten years from now...so if they do a few spinoffs and they do really, really well...who will take halle's spot if need be...due to old age

granted, halle is the best looking thirty something actor out there

i saw a site that said she was actually born in '67...35?

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Went and saw the movie tonight - quite a nice ride, lots of fun. And I'm wondering if the writers didn't do a little spoofing of Austin Powers in this one - there were quite a lot of 'Lasers', mentioning lasers, buttons in the car labled laser, etc. and the car chase on the ice had the bad guy in a Shaguar, in which he died of course.

Also the comment Bond gives to Q (John Cleese) 'Its only a flesh wound' is Cleese as the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'm sure that there are plenty more, but that will have to wait for the reviewing on DVD.

Over all a good movie, worth seeing in the theater.

D :D

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I haven't seen it. It looks kinda stupid to me. One of my friends
    said it was good, but that Bond was in bed with girls half the
    movie which got annoying. I personally don't like movies that
    involve gun because, to me, they don't show much skill. It is just
    who can pull the trigger faster in the person's general direction.
    Kung Fu movies are quite different, and that is why I like them so
    much. But that is off topic;). I plan on renting Die Another Day
    as soon as it is available to rent on VHS.

How about that die another day madonna music video though...
    I think it is awesome.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There quite a bit more than just guns - and the one sword fights are good too. And if you've ever shot a gun, you would know that there is quite a lot of skill involved to 'hit' your target - but that doesn't apply to Hollywood. ;)

D

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

lol, very true.... Well, I can understand it involving skill, but I think
    that if a gun-person (<--- what word should replace that?) spent
    all the time he practiced shooting targets practicing kung fu, and
    then fought Jet Li then he would get his arse kicked. Well, who
    knows how well Jet Li can fight (I bet extremely well), but I think
    that the 'gun-person', as I say, would take a pretty good beating.

And just to add this - I used to not like Jet Li too much, but that
    was before I had seen many of his asian movies (which are very
    good) and before I figured out that he is very knolegable in
    martial arts, and he does 98% of his stunts. He can do all these
    wushu move that I thought only stunt doubles were capable of
    doing (and me of course ;) - not really, but I am teaching myself).

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I thought this bond movie was terrible. i thought it had a terrible polt. i mean come on, invisible cars, diamonds in a guys face, evil satelite that can destroy the world. these are my own opinions though. Oh yeah, whats up with bond surfing and wind surfing now. im gonna have to go watch goldeneye now to make up for this. now i am in now way making fun of the people who liked it, its just my opinion and i like the other pierce bond movies. best part was the beginning, long hair, bond, jesus bond. haha. i hope there is someone else who hated this movie on this forum.

iJon

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

wait. Pierce Brosnan had long white hair in the beginning? I
    might have to make an exception on waiting to rent this...
    That sounds too funny to pass up ;) . :D :D :D

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

actually he doest get a haircut and has really long hair and a beard. although we dont really know what jesus looks like, but he looks like the jesus you would see in the bible. shoulder length dark hair and beard. it really is funny. other than that the movie was very predictable and dull. i was very dissapointed.

iJon

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

predictable. That is exactly what I thought it would be from the
    previews/trailers/wateva ya wanna call 'ems. Oh, and the whole
    missle flipping over car thing looked way stupid to me. I
    just hate those mega-impossible things.

And nobody mention flying in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon b/c
    that is different. I can't really explain why, but it is. :rolleyes: :D

14. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I hated Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It was so drab and uninspired. I guess that's what watching lots of hong-kong action flicks does to you. Although some of those films are so bad it's sad, CTHD is mediocre at best. Also, if you can understand mandarin, you'll notice that Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat are unintelligible.

I guess that ruined it for me.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I loved the new bond movie and would put it in the top 5 of 20 bond movies of all time. It just felt more like a traditional bond film from the Roger Moore era. I miss those films. Bond, Bond Girls, Bond get's Bond Girls, Bond uses gadgets and cool cars....

As to the invisible car. Get use to it people this isn't really sci-fi. The government has been testing this for at least 3 years on things as big as tanks and things as small as people. The current method uses fiber optics. The first time I heard of it was in a Popular Science three years ago and it was talking about government tests of early prototypes for people. The last I saw of it was on the Discovery channel this spring and they were talking about tanks.

As to Bond getting all the women. Hey it's bond and this is what he's all about. I think in this way the movie was really more set in it's roots when Bond DID get all the women.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Probably because they are so used to speaking English, and so
    their minds are in English mode. I know that it happens to me
    after Latin class (when I listen :rolleyes:). I can't believe that you
    would call crouching tiger, hidden dragon drab and uninspired. I
    think of them as the exact opossite. Well, it is all opinion, so I
    don't really care what you thing ;), it will be my favorite movie
    until I manage to find something better then it :)eek:).

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Oh, and you were expecting to be enlightened after watching this movie? Its all a bit much, the whole lot of the movies. Its entertainment and thats it. I went to see a fun action film and wasn't dissapointed.

As for the gagets, most of its fiction half the time anyway. I'm going to have to go to the Spy Museum here in DC soon and check out the real gagets and then get back to you on some of this stuff.

D

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I love the bond movies, i would have to say Goldeney is my favorite one, but i just didnt seem to like this one. i dont know. ths one just seemed a little bit cheesy. can anyone tell me if the same director directed all the pierce bond movies. i would be curious to know.

iJon

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well sometimes movies really can touch you,
    I know crouching tiger hidden dragon did,
    and I know other people have been
    'enlightened' by movies. But for most
    peeps, they aren't Kung Fu movies :D.

20. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Try firing at a moving object from a distance before you talk. Much less a moving object that is shooting back at you. It's just a bit different then Unreal Tournament when you are shooting a gun in real life.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im not saying it isn't hard, but I just think....
    god, just look at my above posts. I think it
    requires much skill, I just think being good at kung fu is a bit more 'skillful'. Others may
    disagree, but it is just opinion, so lets not start
    flames... ;)

22. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I wondered if I was the only one in the theater who got that, 'cause I was certainly the only one who laughed!

John Cleese and Judi Dench alone make the movie worthwhile. :cool:

Oh yeah, and the action was pretty good too, but a couple things were just a bit over the top for me... oh, and my ever-not-so-humble-opinion: no one can top Sean Connery! :D

23. diorio macrumors 6502a

He didn't flame you, he's subtely telling you that real life isn't a video game. I personally don't like kung fu movies because they are even cheesier than some of the bond scenes. They did quite a good job in making the bond movie, and it took a long time, so before you go saying more about DAD, go see it.l

24. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Playboy and Bond

The reason that the whole "Bond Girl" thing got going was because of the Bond movies' roots. Hugh Heffner and Playboy helped bankroll the first 3 Bond movies. The trade-off? Playboy got to use their girls in the movies, and Playboy got to have this hip, new mystique to it.

As to the far-out stuff, this is to be expected in a Bond movie, and frankly, it's makes them fun. You think this stuff was far-out, but you believe that a Russian gangster can take control of a satellite system that can emit an EMP from space? It's supposed to be far out. Go watch Moonraker, then we'll talk. About the guy with diamonds in his face-it was cool to see them try to create a villian like Jaws. Jaws was one of the greatest bad guy henchmen.

If nothing else, go see the movie for its one-liners. The exchanges between Q and then with M are hilarious, and back to the wit of older Bond flicks. Da duhn DA DAAA-Da du da. (Sing the rhythm)

Gus

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't know if any of you guys knew this. Q is dead. Q isnt in this movie. The new guy is R. I think in the last movie the makers knew it was nearing end time for Q. thats why they brought in R in the last movie. kind of confusing because i dont recall them ever saying his name was R in this movie. They said he was R in The World Is Not Enough.

iJon