Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2001
Hi guys, I've just returned from Africa and I agreed to host all the pictures for the team. They're going to come out to be more than 500 megs so using my webhosting is out of the question. I've decided to host the images on my computer using web sharing/apache/php. I want to use a flash gallery which uses some PHP. The code is written for linux/windows and when it looks in a folder and sees a .DS_Store it freaks out and download work. If I remove the .DS_Store from the folder the gallery works until Mac OS recreates the file. Is there a way to get around this?

I would put the put the pictures in a different partition with a unix file system or the like, but I've read that in order for the PHP part of the site to work it must be contained within the sites folder.

Progress: I have a 10 gigabyte partition to spare so I reformatted it to the Unix file system option. The gallery looks in a folder called 'content' for the images. I made an alias of the drive and renamed it to 'content' but no luck. Would there be a way to mirror the contents of the experimental drive in the content folder so that no .DS_Store is created?

Thanks!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, you could do all the file transfer and management via the Terminal. AFAIK, .DS_Store files only show up when using the Finder to navigate and set window preferences (location, size, sorting, etc.).

As long as your *nix skills were OK, you wouldn't have to mess with aliasing the directory at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.