Diebold and me

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well.

So I voted today, more than a bit apprehensive about those new Diebold touchscreen voting machines.

I came away with most of my fears alleviated.

My first surprise is how small the machines are...not a lot bigger than those flimsy little punchcard stands we used to use in Ohio.

The second surprise was the ease of use. I don't think Steve Jobs had a hand in designing the GUI ;) , but it was such that I think only, say, an elderly person with no computer experience could be intimidated by it...and it would probably take a really stupid person to get their ballot seriously screwed up. It's really a clear, clean interface.

And would you believe I got through my entire ballot -- eight offices and 24 issues -- in a little more than five minutes? It helped that I'd already read up on everything on the ballot and knew exactly who I wanted to vote for, but that tells you how quickly one can scroll through the pages and cast one's vote.

The third surprise was when I talked to a poll worker I know who was there. He explained the tallying methods to me (both electronic and paper), and allayed most of my concerns about the possibility of tampering. This poll worker is rabidly anti-Bush, so if it sounds okay to him, I've got to take his opinion into consideration. I can't say it sounds like a perfectly secure system, but OTOH it doesn't sound any worse than punch ballots and hanging chads.

I'm not saying that I'm won over yet, or that I trust Diebold for that matter. But it was a decent experience.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You didn't see where your vote ended up, though, did you?

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Touch screen voting? I can't even imagine it. Here in NYC, we still use the same voting machines I remember them bringing into schools in the late 60s.

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I think I just read that Arnold Schwarzenegger went to vote, but the machine said he had already voted. It's driving me nuts, because I can't find the link. :mad:

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

And did he say "I'll be back" or "you're terminated" or something funny?

Oh I know! "If I'm not me then who the hell am I?" Total Recall, right?

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I think is was "NOOOOOOOOOO!" Oh, wait, wrong sci-fi actor. :p

edit: its driving me nuts. I really need help finding this link.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

9. Lau Guest

Then again, here in the UK our voting 'machine' is a pencil, with which you put a cross on a piece of paper. :D The first time I saw US voting in a film (I think it was in Pecker) I was quite surprised there were machines involved!

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

HA! Shadenfraud! (and yes, I know how the word is spelled)