Diesel in Boston?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewbieNerd, Mar 16, 2006.

1. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I'm getting a new car for graduation from my uncle, and I would be interested in getting an Audi A4 or perhaps the A3 since my fiance's dad has a connection that could get me a few grand off, but I think my uncle is (a) looking for the low 20's range, (b) for some reason not happy with the thought of me paying for part of it.

So I'm looking at VWs instead, particularly the Jetta. I'm interested in doing the diesel TDI as my uncle has a 2000 Golf TDI that I've always enjoyed driving, but I'm just concerned about how Diesels are accepted in Massachusetts. I know here in NY they can't be sold I think, and in 2007 supposedly diesel emissions will become stricter, though I hope this is restricted only to new cars? Anyway, I figure since Massachusetts, and Boston in particular, are fairly liberal, Diesels might be frowned upon as well.

Anybody got any info? At the simplest, do you guys who live around Boston ( I'll be moving to Waltham ) see Diesel pumps at the gas station commonly?

2. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

Basically the problem in the U.S. is the very poor fuel standards. basically cars get what in Diesel locomotives.

High Sulpher, low cetane, high aromatics and added filth:mad:

Basically most car markers are not going to try to meet Tier III standards based around that.

Basically another example where the rest of the world can gone one way and the US Another.

However the chickens will come home to roost when they have to try and get carbon use and emissions down some way and the Chinese start buying up all the "gas" in the world.:)

PS. Driving a 140 HP multivalve direct injection Golf TDi that returns about 40 MPG (US gallons) and does 0-60 in about 9 seconds:p

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

First off, I want to agree with the previous poster that diesel fuel in the states doesn't compare to the stuff that you can get in europe.

Coming from somebody who grew up in Boston and now lives upstate, I don't think you'll have a problem with them in either state. The smaller stations around here don't sell diesel, but I know the hess where I buy gas does. Ontop of that, some of my friends back home (Boston) drove diesels for years and never had difficulty getting gas. I can think of 2 or 3 stations in the greater metro area that sell diesel. Once you go out of the city (which you are), then it should be even easier from there.

Ben

4. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Don't buy any Volkswagen unless you know a very good mechanic, like turning your own wrenches and fiddling with stuff from time to time and have a memory like a steel trap.

I have to remember things like fuses #37 & 42 because those are the ones I have to pull when my radio goes DOA two or three times a year. Pop 'em back in and it's fine.

You'll be able to find diesel anywhere. You get 50 mpg so it's not like you're always running low. Filling up is an event. I've still got a quarter tank of Ontario fuel in my car from last weekend; I live 400 miles from where I filled up (and I drove back and forth to work all this week).

6. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I have had two Golf TDi's since 2000 and have had nothing other than routine servicing (new one looks like it will go almost 2 years before it needs it according to the indicator).

Mind you it was made in Wolfsburg rather than Mexico:cool:

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

My Golf was made in Brasil, not Mexico.
    Vehicles assembled in Europe were more trouble-prone than those built in Mexico for a while, so location has little to do with it.

The dreaded window regulator failure affects/affected 100% of Golf and Jetta (Bora for Europe) built from 1999.5-2002. It will happen and your windows will drop into the door. VW knew they'd lose the class action suit that was coming so they settled by paying for all repairs done out of warranty thus far and then extended the warranty on the window regulators to 7 years.

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I live outside of Boston - there's plenty of diesel cars and stations that sell diesel out here and in the city.