Diesel: the US context

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jon'sLightBulbs, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    There are only two diesels currently offered in the US: the MB e350 and VW Jetta. However, neither are availible for purchase in several states, including California, and New York.

However, the regs allow ownership of these diesels within those states if the purchaser runs through severael hoops. Is anyone familiar with the process for purchasing the car out of state and importing back to the state with the prohibition? It involves driving the car for several thousand miles for a minimum number of months before registering in the home state. I'm most interested in California.
  2. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    VW Touareg
    VW New Beetle
    VW Passat (Soon the New model)
    and the VW Jetta.

There are many more on the way, including from sister company Audi.

What needs to happen for California and other states like it to allow them, is the us to switch to Low Sulfur diesel which ends up producing less hydrocarbons, and other emissions.

With Low Sulfur, we will also have MANY more options for Diesel vehicles, as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Saab, Volvo, and other European car companies have great Diesel engines, they just don't want to invest in making them work with the High Sulfur diesel .

I am not familiar with the process in question, but I am looking to do something similar, however involving importing a car from Germany that wasn't completely legal in the US.

3. Jon'sLightBulbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Importing from Europe would be even more interesting. But I'm not sure that most of the cars built for their consumption meet U.S. emissions and crash testing standards. Therefore, obtaining registration would probably be unduly difficult.

Of course, if you want to drive your diesel on a private race track, or just up and down your driveway (read: off of public thoroughfares), you'll have no trouble whatsover.
  4. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i never knew that, i'm in NY state and have been looking at diesels lately, but not had much luck, now i know why.

i've been interested in a VW Golf, and running it of biodiesel/fryer oil etc.
  5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    cars tend to be much more expensive (same models) in Europe,though... guess you wouldn't have to pay taxes there, but I am not sure to how much this accounts for.

I really wish to se the Audi A2 here in the US...it is not the most 'manly' car
    :p, but at around 70mpg it blows away the current hybrids on the freeway.
  6. swindmill macrumors 6502a

Mar 17, 2005
    Is the MkV Golf not available with a TDI? I know the MkIV offered it. I am currently looking to get rid of my MkIV Jetta 1.8t for a MkIV Golf TDI
  7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I remember reading an article online about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. This is a new low-sulfur diesel (pretty much equivilent to European low-sulfur diesel) that is going to replace the current-grade US Diesel (which has 50 times more sulfur). Here's a link.

It's supposed to be phased in starting next year, so maybe we'll see more diesels offered for sale in the near future. I think SUV's especially should start using these more fuel-efficient engines.