Dieting for the summer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, May 2, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I know there are more MR readers than not that still have the fountain of youth bubbling inside of them.... But for us old fogies... (I am 27 ;) ) How many of you are dieting for the summer, and what are you doing?

For almost 2 months I have been doing the tired and true eat less and exercise more method. It seems to be working. I am up to 7 people who have sontaneously told me that I look like I lost weight. I am not sure how much I lost since my kids broke my scale... :(

Anyway, anybody else dieting for swimsuit weather?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I eat about 10x more red meat in the summer than the winter, does that count? ;) Seriously tho, i can't diet (it's physically impossible, i'm too damn lazy) but I have a newfound friend with a swimming pool, so I think I'll be there a couple of times a week exercising... I'd rather work out at a friend's house and look good at the gym than look like crap at the gym to look good for my friends...

:)

pnw

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm exercising more, and trying to eat less (can someone loan me some willpower?). The docter told me I was fat and had to lose weight. She threatened me with blood pressure pills if I didn't.

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Yup, I am. I really gotta lose weight. I was totally ripped just 3 years ago and I won't even tell you how much weight I've gained since then :eek: It's gotten to the point to where I'm almost embarrassed to meet someone that knew me back then but hasn't seen my in a while, 'cuz I know they'd be thinking: "man, he has really let himself go."

I'm just going back to what has always worked for me: low fat and high protein diet, drink lots of water, 5 or 6 workouts a week. The hardest part is getting used to the hunger. I don't care what anybody says, you have to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. Specifically, 3000 calories = 1 lb of fat. Certain things like exercise make you feel the hunger pangs less, but you have to go hungry. Ideally your calorie deficit should be about 500 calories a day so you lose about a pound a week, so it won't be a shock to your system. What I've done in the past that worked like a charm is not eat until I've been hungry for about an hour. Except at night when I go to bed hungry.

Anyway, good luck. I plan to be back to fighting shape by the end of summer.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

there was a recent study looking at the high protein diets (atkins) and weight loss.

In the end, it looks like the people who lost weight ate less calories over longer periods of time. :)

so... no big surprise, but also no magic bullet either. Though, many claim you are less hungry eating a high protein diet - making it more doable.

arn

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

The high protein is because otherwise 1/3 of the weight you lose would be muscle. The way to combat this is to eat high protein and work out.

7. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah deffo!!!! I'm going on a see food diet...see food and eat it. I eat so much and I'm still around 140 Lbs or less...:) The wonders of a fast motab. I think i will step up my gym routine though if I can.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah i'm kind of dieting, but then a hot brasilian chick introduced me to godiva ice cream, not a good thing. i drink a lot of tea, which is apparently good for the metabolism, hot liquids...

i'm skinny-ish, but need to tone up, i think i'm gonna try and start badminton again, trouble is, everything is so expensive in nyc...

9. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Well there is alway some form of physical excercise with said hot brazilian that doesn't cost a lot...even in NYC ;) tell her she needs to work that ice cream off and you have just the ticket haha.

10. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i'll get a pool pass for the swimming pool for all summer ASAP it opens. i want to be back under 100 lb ...

11. vniow macrumors G4

I wouldn't say diet, I'll looking to get a bit less off the stomach though, maybe I can somehow transfer the fat from there into my non-ass.

12. dstorey macrumors 6502a

...well maybe if you use a stepper or ski machine on the right setting then it will work your stomach and build the muscle in your ass bigger at the same time.....well maybe ;-)

13. andrewlandry macrumors member

yeah, i'm getting liposuction and stomach staples so i can look hot at the beach - just kidding. actually, i've started running again and i gave up dairy. i'm pretty skinny (150) but i've been starting to get a belly for a while. i was already a vegetarian (since '96) but starting eating pretty bad stuff lately - lots of NYC pizza, do-nuts, cheese enchiladas, bagels and cream cheese. if i ate like that into my 30s (27 now), i would definitely become huge.

14. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Huh.

I heard that step climbing creates the wrong kind of @$$ for a woman. If they really want to look good they should use stationary bikes and tread mills.

Diet.

What's that? :D

What me worry?

I've found that drinking water in the morning when you get up and right before you go to sleep help. So too does exercising before you go to sleep because then you're asleep and the fat's burning when you don't mind. You may still be hungry in the morning but eating breakfast after drinking the water makes you eat less in the morning but doesn't make you so hungry.

I'm working on losing weight. I lost about fifteen pounds in the last year without much effort. I'm working on another twenty before Summer time.

15. dstorey macrumors 6502a

there are plenty of cute girls at the guy that use the stepper and they dont look bad not that i look or anything....I personnaly find the inmpact on a treadmill really hurts my calfs or my knee's. I can do the bike, ski, stepper or rowing machine for quite a while but five mins on the treadmill and my calfs feel like the've been streached to hell and back again.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I'm doing the Ramen noodle Diet™, consisting of... well... Ramen
    Noodles. Primarily Orientle, beef, and chilli chicken. :D

17. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

My goodness...

Well, I guess we couldn't see THAT one coming, Scem0. ;)

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Re: My goodness...

I would be dissapointed if y'all couldn't. :D

19. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

hah, ya don't think i'm working on that one? hopefully she'll be there for the game tomorrow, along with one or two of the others haha.

sex is good exercise, shame i ain't getting any :( lol

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

The only thing different I'm doing with summer is more time out on my bike. I keep a decent diet all year long, exercise with weights regularly and hit the bike whenever I can usually. ;)

High protein diets are pretty decent, with a lower fat & good fat intake. Studies have proven that people who drastically reduced their fat intake lost less weight than people who had a balanced diet consisting of good fats & less calories.

now about 27 being "old"...I'll be 26 this year...and I'm in better shape than I've ever been in my life... ;)

21. dstorey macrumors 6502a

you bought her one of them new lady fit LFC shirts (and being brazillian she can tie it up to show more midrift) and those small 80's liverpool shorts yet? She'll love ya for life...they better all be lfc supporters by now....By the way save me a hot argie or brazillian for when i come over....;)

22. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

i should get her one, she does support lfc now :) the hottest girl though (argentinian) is a manc fan, only 'cause of veron and forlan mind.

and as for saving one?? bollocks to ya mate! hehe, we'll see ;)

23. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Wow, the profanity filter misses BOLLOCKS:D :D :D being a brit has advantages to numerous to mention...;)

I'm in training for the Tomiki Aikido world championships in Leeds this summer (glances at rippling six-pack) (not) I'm 39 and it's REALLY hurting:eek:

I'm down to 190 (I'm 6 foot) but the body fat % is slow to move.

24. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

good luck in that mate. i'm about 6'1" and around 160lb i think. all my fat is on my gut, weird. not that i got a big gut mind.

yeah that fat thing sounds about right, if i eat really healthy, i don't lose anything, yet if i eat a plate of full english for brecky i end up skinny, wtf?

25. dstorey macrumors 6502a

and now it all comes clear why you want to move venue.....Even if she's fit and doesn't need a diet for summer (keeping on topic ;)) there is no excuse for that...we have an argie on trial at the moment, some wonderkid by all accounts, tell her than and convert her...

Dam i didn't gop to the gym again today...why does it always seem so much harder after you've had a few weeks break...I really need to get into the swing of things again...I can't l;ift nearly as much as i could 3 weeks ago ansd the rowing machine feels like i'm moving through treacle.